PDA

View Full Version : Overnight at WalMart

KanTC
04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
The WalMart topic comes up from time to time, so I thought I'd share the following link...
it includes info (by state) for stores where overnight parking is PROHIBITED, and also some info for "Overnight Etiquette".

http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart

Happy Trails,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

MIKEPATC
04-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Thanks for this link. Putting it into my Favorites.

homer3
04-30-2014, 07:54 AM
California - Looks as though not allowed anywhere in CA. I see commercial trucks parked all the time in Sam's Club Parking lot. How does this apply to Sams Club??

crohill
04-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the link...we now have a camper that makes this knid of stop much more convienent. Hybrids and pop ups can't do this easily.

HappyCamperMN
04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I understand it's for emergency / sleeping and then moving on. But the etiquette about not extending slide-outs seems like it may be a challenge for some floor plans.

I see that most of the Wal-Marts in MN (or at least the MSP metro area) are on the prohibited list.

KanTC
04-30-2014, 09:50 AM
homer3 - I didn't see any reference to "inclusion or exclusion" of Sam's Club, so I assume you'd have to get permission (from each store manager) to overnight there.
That said, if a community prohibits overnight RV parking at WalMart it seems likely they'd also prohibit overnight RV's at Sam's Club too.

HappyCamperMN - extending slide out's (into traffic path) in a parking lot could cause a safety issue for inattentive drivers - especially at night. ;)
So, I can understand why a (non-RV-related) business would make that 'stipulation'.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

HappyCamperMN
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
HappyCamperMN - extending slide out's (into traffic path) in a parking lot could cause a safety issue for inattentive drivers - especially at night. ;)
So, I can understand why a (non-RV-related) business would make that 'stipulation'.

Certainly makes sense. Though I didn't see the "into traffic path" stipulation in the etiquette video.

PARAPTOR
04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I feel extending slides anywhere in a non camp ground environment such as Pilot, Rest areas, Walmart,.... etc. introduces risks. Event in CG's I see campers putting those swimming pool snakes on edges of their slides so nobody including themself walk into them.

TandE
04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
The wal mart near me is on the no camp list and I see at least 4 rvers there a night and about 2 to 3 truck drivers. I do know it is not the wal mart but city ordinance dictating this one here.

And same goes with California, just about all cities there have an ordinance prohibiting overnight stays in parking lots.

I know with my trailer I have no choice to pull out the slide as our bed is in it. Because of this I find a spot and pull the trailer up to the edge of the lot or median with bushes and such in them and extend over so the slides are not in any walking area or where someone could walk. I know people will walk with in the vegetation and could still run into a slide but if you park in a corner it's rare people will be there anyways.

Travis

JRTJH
05-01-2014, 06:30 AM
The wal mart near me is on the no camp list and I see at least 4 rvers there a night and about 2 to 3 truck drivers. I do know it is not the wal mart but city ordinance dictating this one here.

And same goes with California, just about all cities there have an ordinance prohibiting overnight stays in parking lots.

I know with my trailer I have no choice to pull out the slide as our bed is in it. Because of this I find a spot and pull the trailer up to the edge of the lot or median with bushes and such in them and extend over so the slides are not in any walking area or where someone could walk. I know people will walk with in the vegetation and could still run into a slide but if you park in a corner it's rare people will be there anyways.

Travis

We do the same when we "camp at WalMart". One word of caution (don't ask me why or how) Make sure you're not parked beside an automatic irrigation sprinkler head that the slide extends over.......... It does make for a very interesting morning when you realize the carpet is wet and you're in the desert.....

TandE
05-01-2014, 06:47 AM
We do the same when we "camp at WalMart". One word of caution (don't ask me why or how) Make sure you're not parked beside an automatic irrigation sprinkler head that the slide extends over.......... It does make for a very interesting morning when you realize the carpet is wet and you're in the desert.....

Hahahahahahahaha thanks for the heads up, I never thought of checking for that. I guess it's a good thing I don't camp much if at all on concrete jungles, but will keep that in mind in case we need to in the future.

Travis

koko
05-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I know we're talking Walmart here, but another great place to pull in is at Cracker Barrel. We ask first, then eat dinner and/or breakfast there. Well lit parking areas specifically for campers and buses.

airforceret
05-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Travis

They may allow commercial rigs overnight and the private RVs may be drawn in by seeing other (commercial hauler) RVs in the lot at night (That is what happened with me). Or they just don't care... I was given a 2 hour window to catch a nap since I was non-commercial.