PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater

Sivymp1
04-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Ok when camping, do you leave the water heater on all the time or shut it off. I have never used one since I blew out my hot water tank on my old camper?

canesfan
04-28-2014, 07:07 AM
I turn it on in the morning for showers and washing dishes then turn it off. Most every one I've ever had holds the heat well and there is usually warm water most of the day and it doesn't take that long to get hot again, unless it's 30 out.

austinp
04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Is there a drawback to leaving it on all day? The one I have uses electric when using shore power to save my propane.

GaryWT
04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
I leave mine on for the entire trip, usually on electric. If we are taking back to back showers I sometimes through the gas on as well just for that time period.

ctpd814
04-28-2014, 07:54 AM
It depends if you are talking about the electric side or the propane side. If we are hooked up to electric, we leave the electric side on all the time. Then we turn the propane on while taking showers to help with the recovery time.

If the is no electric hook up, we turn the propane on just before using the hot water and then turn it off when we are done to conserve propane.

austinp
04-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the good advice (tx)

BirchyBoy
04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
I leave mine on for the entire trip, usually on electric. If we are taking back to back showers I sometimes through the gas on as well just for that time period.

It depends if you are talking about the electric side or the propane side. If we are hooked up to electric, we leave the electric side on all the time. Then we turn the propane on while taking showers to help with the recovery time.

If the is no electric hook up, we turn the propane on just before using the hot water and then turn it off when we are done to conserve propane.

That's interesting. It never occurred to me to run both the electric and propane. Any long-term downside to that?

ctpd814
04-28-2014, 08:11 AM
I had my last trailer for 7 years without any problems.

canesfan
04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't think there's any down side to leaving it on all the time, not that I can think of anyway. I'm just conservative and don't leave things on that I'm not using, but that's just me.

I'm not aware of any down side to using both electric and LP at the same time either, I think it might even say in the manual it's ok to do that if I remember.

Road-King
04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
That's interesting. It never occurred to me to run both the electric and propane. Any long-term downside to that?

It even says in the manual that you can do this.

GMcKenzie
04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Downside to leaving the electric on is you may pop a breaker if you are trying to run too much at once (A/C, fridge, microwave etc.).