PDA

View Full Version : 2nd a/c install

Quad
04-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Could anyone tell me what sealant I need to fill the screw holes from removing the roof vent if any? I'm pretty sure the new a/c gasket covers the screw holes. But I didn't want to get in the middle of it and not have what i needed.

Thanks

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

JRTJH
04-27-2014, 05:44 AM
I would suggest DICOR self leveling roof sealant. It's available at almost any RV parts center. Don't use silicone based sealants !!!!!

Hoojs12840
04-27-2014, 06:22 AM
JRTJH-is silicone bad just for the roof, or should it not be used anywhere on a RV?

JRTJH
04-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Silicone has some applications in RV's, but the problem is that it won't stick to itself so any future application must be larger than the original to find new material to adhere to. For that reason the RV industry has turned to sealants that will adhere to themselves such as DICOR and PROFLEX brands. They are available in "self leveling" for roofs and other flat surfaces and in "non leveling" for vertical surfaces and places where it needs to stay in place. Both of these brands will adhere to itself although any dirt or loose, cracked or damaged material should be removed before applying a new coating over the old.

Generally speaking, silicone is used more inside an RV than outside (although there are several places where it is used outside as well. The roof, however is not one of those places.

SAD
04-27-2014, 08:24 AM
...For that reason the RV industry has turned to sealants that will adhere to themselves such as DICOR and PROFLEX brands...

Stick with these and you'll be able to find the right caulk for the application.... :)

Quad
04-27-2014, 08:40 AM
I was thinking DICOR but hadn't had to buy any yet (my first rubber roof) and wasn't sure what to buy. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

Bob Landry
04-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Nothing else sticks to silicone either. Even when it looks like it's been removed, there is still a residue that nothing will seal with and even with the silicone removers on the market, it's still a PITA to clean off.

Clean around where you are going to apply the Dicor with isopropyl or any type of non petroleum based solvent. Even detergent will probably work.