PDA

View Full Version : Discoloration on Spindles

PSITracy
04-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Just bought this 2004 Montana in September. I was doing preseason maintenance on the wheel bearings, I noticed there is discoloration on the bottom of the spindles but no wear or lip, there is also discoloration on the inner race where it mounts on the spindle. The rollers are bright , shiny, and flawless. I don't have excessive play on either inner or outer spindle. Im concerned but I don't know what to do from here. Any suggestions

JRTJH
04-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Since it's a 10 year old trailer and you likely have no idea of previous maintenance, I'd suggest that you pull the hubs, clean the bearings and races (it sounds like that's what you're doing now) and, if they look bad, have any "slop" or if there is any question, replace them as a set of bearings and races. Also whether you replace them or not, replace the seals at the back of the hub. (You've got to remove the seal to remove the back bearing anyway.) Use a quality grease to repack the bearings. That way, you'll be able to inspect the entire spindle for any wear or other damage and when you're finished, you'll know exactly what condition the hubs/spindles are in. With the potential to lose a wheel, there's no reason to "skimp" on maintenance while you're able to do it in "relative comfort" rather than on the side of the road.

PSITracy
04-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks JRT, I am indeed removing and repacking these wheel bearings, they have bearing buddies on them and the previous owner certainly utilized the feature, probably to a fault .... lol I used quite a few rags to clean up the excess grease. Again the bearings themselves look and feel great save for the discoloration on the mounting surface and spindle. The weird thing is there is no wear on the spindle or the inner cone/race and the slip fit is snug and not at all sloppy.

I'm just worried about taking this thing out now. I have confidence in my mechanic work but something caused those spindles and bearings to get hot. If the repacking solves the problem, great. , If not ? I guess it will be in the shop instead of on the road

WaltBennett
04-28-2014, 10:40 AM
You probably should ask this question on the Montana Owner's Club forum - there's quite a few owners of older models there.

Besides that, the discoloration may be from heat treating and machining when they were made. It sounds like the previous owner(s) took care of it, and bearings don't usually all fail at once. Both my '05 cheap 3k lbs. utility trailer and our '10 Montana have Dexter bearings so I've never had to take them apart to lube and don't know what else to add about yours.

gearhead
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Any color on the race is a sign of heat. I'm not sure what you mean when you say bottom of the spindle.
No question for me....replace bearings and seals. Better at home than the side of the road.

PSITracy
04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Walt, any link to that Montana owners forum ?

PSITracy
04-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Any color on the race is a sign of heat. I'm not sure what you mean when you say bottom of the spindle.
No question for me....replace bearings and seals. Better at home than the side of the road.

Agreed Gear, What is baffling in that discoloration is only on the inner cone on the bearing and the underside of the spindle. The rollers are bright shiny and flawless, the entire surface of the spindle other than the discolored area underneath, is free of scoring divots or lips of any kind. never seen anything like it. I repacked the bearings and replaced the seals and put it back together for now. I hate to take it in to a shop for work that's already done, but I suppose its better to be safe than sorry

bobbecky
04-28-2014, 08:55 PM
http://montanaowners.com/