PDA

View Full Version : Leveling 5th Wheel for Towing With Air Bags?

Comptech
04-25-2014, 03:15 AM
Hi,
I think I know the answer to this but I would like the here from the pros...
I have recently installed an Air Lift 5000 air bag system. Before my TV and 5er ran mostly level because I adjusted the hitch to its highest level to take up the sag. I had only moved the hitch one bolt, from the third set of holes to the fourth...
Now I am thinking that I need to lower the hitch in the truck back to where it was and level the 5er using the air bag system.:confused:

Javi
04-25-2014, 03:24 AM
On a level surface...

I'd let the pressure in the air bags down to the prescribed minimum then measure the height of the rear wheel well before the 5'er is on the hitch.

Then hitch up and with the full weight of the 5'er pin on the truck I'd measure the wheel well again... inflate the air bags until the pre-hitched height is achieved.

If the 5'er isn't level, level it using either the hitch or pin box adjusting holes... Remember you want at least 5" of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails..

Comptech
04-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Right, But I do not get how to level properly, and still be able to adjust the air bags for the proper ride. I do not know what air pressure I will need to put in the bags while towing to get a good ride... I guess as long as I get it close to level, maybe with just a slight sag and then use the air bags to level it up... I am thinking I will want about 50lbs of air in the bags... maybe a bit more...

On a level surface...

I'd let the pressure in the air bags down to the prescribed minimum then measure the height of the rear wheel well before the 5'er is on the hitch.

Then hitch up and with the full weight of the 5'er pin on the truck I'd measure the wheel well again... inflate the air bags until the pre-hitched height is achieved.

If the 5'er isn't level, level it using either the hitch or pin box adjusting holes... Remember you want at least 5" of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails..

Javi
04-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Right, But I do not get how to level properly, and still be able to adjust the air bags for the proper ride. I do not know what air pressure I will need to put in the bags while towing to get a good ride... I guess as long as I get it close to level, maybe with just a slight sag and then use the air bags to level it up... I am thinking I will want about 50lbs of air in the bags... maybe a bit more...

Air bags are for adjusting the level of the truck, not how the truck rides. Although usually there is an improvement in ride quality associated with them.

It is however, permissible to vary the pressure a couple of pounds either way if you think it helps the ride. But again the primary function of the apparatus is to level the truck.

Comptech
04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Okay gotcha ...thanks...