PDA

View Full Version : Where to locate onboard compressor - air bags?

Jim Dow
04-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I'll ask the question in a fresh thread hoping more of the readers will see it and offer help.

Where should I consider locating the onboard compressor for my new yet-to-be-installed Firestone air bags? The installation instructions say to avoid splashes of water on the compressor.

Also, the installation instructions requires a 30 amp inline fuse. I just installed Ford upfit switches with a 25 amp breaker. Can I still power the compressor using one of the 25 amp upfit switches; or is that an ill-advised thought?

Rusty
04-25-2014, 10:48 AM
I know a few guys who have the compressor and they have it installed on the wheel wells, in the engine bay, one guy on the right (as viewed from the drivers seat) and the other on the left fender well.

mguay
04-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I have mine mounted in the front of the bed under the rail. I took a piece of sheet metal and color matched it to the truck then screwed it to the rail to cover the exposed area. I have a tri fold cover and only take it off when we are taking our bikes so rarely does it see day light.

Stublejumper
04-25-2014, 09:05 PM
I mounted the compressor in the storage compartment under the rear floor mat . Seems to keep it clean and dry.

rjsurfer
04-26-2014, 02:20 AM
I keep mine under the rear seat, drivers side. Obviously its kept clean and dry.

I have enough room to place the two air bad fittings and coiled up 50 feet of hose.

Ron W.

scottz
08-01-2017, 08:04 AM
I lowered my spare tire and mounted it in that big empty space above the spare; should be dry there.

Note: I have the Air Lift Wireless One system. The controller works great when I am outside the truck, but it has intermittent problems connecting (wireless) to the manifold from inside the cab. It works from the cab, but not 100%; sometimes have to try twice. Not really a big problem, I am usually outside the truck when making adjustments.

I called Air Lift and they side it was losing the wireless signal. Imagine that, 12' is too far. They should have mentioned this in the instructions before I installed it; I could have put it closer.

scottz
08-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Sorry, I should have noticed this thread was two years old.

xcntrk
08-02-2017, 03:39 AM
I built a tray for mine that sits outside the passenger frame rail under the cab floor. It houses my compressor, 2.5g air-tank, air-bag manifold, and my 24" air horn :devil:

MattHelm21
08-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Under the rear seat inside locking storage box.