PDA

View Full Version : Ford Upfit Switch Added

Jim Dow
04-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Today, I added an upfit switch and cable harness to my Ford F250 Super Duty tow vehicle.

I intended to have the aux-1 switch control the new Firestone air bags that I recently purchased.

However, in contrast to earlier year model upfit switches that provide two 30 amp switches/breakers, the 2010 year model provides two 25 amp switches/breakers. I found this out today when I opened the boxes.

Wouldn't you just know it, the Firestone air bag compressor installation instructions recommend an inline 30 amp fuse. I've got to check this out and see if the 25 amp breakers will still service the Firestone compressor. Maybe?

The installation instructions I found on the internet were correct; and it took 1 hr and 10 minutes to do the installation myself. The most difficult parts of the procedure involved a) feeding the plug that fits into the back of the switch through a tiny space behind the dash and b) hooking up the ground wire - again, tight space.

I was very satisfied with the quality of the parts supplied by Ford and with the engineering of the product. Everything fit as advertised. See pic.

The price of the upfit switch itself and the wiring harness was about $200; but the Ford dealer wanted $250 to install it - so I did it myself in an hour.

sagebel
04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I would use Aux 4 to trigger a relay for power to the compressor. I'm so glad my truck came with the upfitters installed but I need another row.

Dwighop
04-24-2014, 04:08 AM
I just wish they weren't keyed switches. I know there's a work around but 1 or 2 hot would be nice for lights n stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comptech
04-24-2014, 09:47 AM
I added the Air lift 5000 to my F350, with the wireless control. Haven't had the chance to road test it yet, but I like the wireless option.....

Stublejumper
04-27-2014, 12:00 PM
I added the Air lift 5000 to my F350, with the wireless control. Haven't had the chance to road test it yet, but I like the wireless option.....

Added a wireless as well , I found that if there is a side wind I lower the air bag by 10 psi leaning into the wind. Seems to help .