PDA

View Full Version : Bedspread - wash / dry clean only?

AlbertaRvMan
04-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Hello,

The DW asked me to search this forum or ask (if I can't find the answer) in regards to cleaning the bedspread. We just bought a new premier 31bhpr and the DW wants to clean the bed spread before first use. However the tag says to dry clean only. The below is taken from the keystone manual.

"Bedspreads
Refer to the label attached to the bed spread by the manufacturer. Dry-clean only unless the care instructions on the label indicate otherwise. Washing a dry-clean only bedspread could cause premature deterioration, fading, shrinkage and / or possible damage."

- Has anyone washed there bed spread (maybe just cold water only)?

- any advice on cleaning, it's a bit of a waste to go dry clean just this one bed spread.

Thanks for the advice.

theeyres
04-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Afraid I can't give you any advice, but I've always thought it was crazy to put in dry clean only bedspreads in trailers. We've seen that in almost every one we've bought. And they are cheapy covers, to boot.

KanTC
04-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately, the "Dry Clean Only" bedspreads are not intended to washed... even on gentle cycle/cold water, the results are typically bad.
In this particular situation, the Owners Manual gives the correct & complete answer [for a change] ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Murphsmom
04-22-2014, 07:49 PM
We immediately took ours off the bed and stored it away for the day when the trailer goes to someone else. Let them have the joy of the "new" bedspread. I made a quilt that brought in all the colors in the decor and I know that since it is 100% cotton, I can throw it in the washer and dryer. Plus, it is warm and doesn't slide off the bed during the night.

BirchyBoy
04-22-2014, 08:12 PM
We got back from our first trip and the cover is dirty. Went to wash it and discovered the dry clean only tag. What a crock of baloney! Going to ditch it in favor of something that is a) washer friendly and b) pleasing to the eye.

BobbyB
04-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately, the tag is accurate.:( We took the chance and washed it (on gentle cycle) after our first trip. Needless to say, it is sitting in a room in the house so my DW can use it as a pattern to make a new one.

SAD
04-23-2014, 02:06 AM
We immediately took ours off the bed and stored it away for the day when the trailer goes to someone else. Let them have the joy of the "new" bedspread. ....

exactly what we did too.

canesfan
04-23-2014, 04:43 AM
Don't wash it. :)

And now I don't feel so bad about taking my slippery, silver bedspread and stashing it away for something more practical.

Kristi
04-23-2014, 05:34 AM
We washed ours on cold, gentle cycle & got lucky, it was fine, but we stored it under the bed & got a new one cause I just don't like it.

st_pinetree
04-23-2014, 07:38 AM
We washed ours, cold gentle cycle. Didn't hurt it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Festus2
04-23-2014, 07:39 AM
What all of you folks are forgetting is that the "cheap, ugly, slippery and dry clean only" bedspread is a perfect match for the cheap, hard, back-breaking mattress that is underneath it.

Keystone thinks of everything. They're just trying to make their customers happy. :D :D :D

Kristi
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
What all of you folks are forgetting is that the "cheap, ugly, slippery and dry clean only" bedspread is a perfect match for the cheap, hard, back-breaking mattress that is underneath it.

Keystone thinks of everything. They're just trying to make their customers happy. :D :D :D

Festus- your comments should come with warning stickers... I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard.. :rofl:

Andymon
04-23-2014, 08:25 AM
exactly what we did too.

We did the same thing and bought a nice comfort.

canesfan
04-23-2014, 09:34 AM

You just made my day! Thank you!! :)

dandjh1958
04-23-2014, 12:32 PM
I used the bedspread my Hideout came with as fabric for my gravity chair carrying bag. Doesn't matter if its dry clean only or not!
I also made a quilt to match colors and easier to care for that goes on the bed.

Happy camping!!

GaryWT
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I always thought of it as a decoration to sell the trailer. Always fold it and put it under the bed until selling the trailer. We put a comforter on the bed to use, more comfy and stays on better.

If you want to clean it and use it, you can use one of the home dry cleaning kits for the dryer.

koko
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
A previous trailer of ours had the same toxic-looking material for its bedspread that this one had, and it melted when we washed it. This time we took ours off and purchased a tan goose down comforter from LL Bean with lots of colorful shams! Much more attractive, much more practical.

f6bits
04-23-2014, 06:13 PM
I had mine dry-cleaned as soon as I bought my one-year-old trailer. It came out fine. I like our Havana theme. Granted, the spread isn't of decent quality, but it's been pretty far down my list of things to replace.

HappyCamperMN
04-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately, the "Dry Clean Only" bedspreads are not intended to washed... even on gentle cycle/cold water, the results are typically bad.
In this particular situation, the Owners Manual gives the correct & complete answer [for a change] ;)

My DW normally has little regard for dry clean only tags. Delicate cycle and hang to dry is usually what they get. I'll be sure to share this advice with her.

And given the plethora of other comments, will probably store it and put something more functional in it's place.

GaryWT
04-23-2014, 07:32 PM
On our previous trailer we had stored the spread from day one. One the day we traded it in we put it back on the bed. While looking at pictures of the trailer when it was for sale the spread was gone. Guessing the dealer got rid of it for some reason but it was new. Anyway, they don't seem like they would be warm anyway.

outwest
04-23-2014, 09:56 PM
On ours, the stitching started coming out after only a few days of use (and not a tosser and turner - just poorly crafted). Got it replaced under warranty (which was a hassle because the first replacement they sent was the wrong pattern - was for completely different décor). Had to contact Keystone to get it corrected and get a correct replacement; the dealer was of no help in regards to it being the wrong one.

The replacement is getting sealed up and packed away for the next owner of the trailer, along with the neck rolls. Found a Better Homes & Gardens brand comforter at Walmart that the colors match very well with the rest of the décor, it's better made, and machine washable!

I wouldn't have worried about getting it replaced under warranty, but it fell apart so quickly and felt it would be good to have the OEM one available for the next owner.

{tpc}
04-24-2014, 05:05 AM

Your mattress is hard? Can I trade? Our mattress isn't much more than something they put over the wood. I would guess the bedspread and mattress offer the same amount of support if used independently.

My pillow has more support than our mattress. lol

lizzie
04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Have it dry-cleaned if you wish, then pack it in a nice bag and stash it away for the next owner. We use NOTHING in the TT that can't be washed. It just seems like an oxymoron, "Dry Clean Only" for a camper. lizzie