PDA

View Full Version : Awning stabilizers/deflappers

sourdough
04-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have experience with awning stabilizer straps and deflappers? We have a power awning and the deflappers I've seen seem to attach to a side bar that runs along the edge of the awning - we don't have a side bar so I don't see how they would work on this type of awning. I also wonder about adding the anchor straps, which I've already purchased. I'm wondering if they would pose just as much risk as benefit if a high wind came up. This is our first RV with an awning and want to protect it properly as much as we can. They aren't cheap and don't want to damage it due to ignorance. Any advice or shared experiences are greatly appreciated.

Festus2
04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I think anchoring your awning is a smart move. We almost always tie it down - especially if we are staying more than one night or are in "unfamiliar" territory where we aren't aware of times the wind comes up or how strong it gets.

If we leave the RV to go sightseeing, for a long walk or whatever, and the awning will be left unattended, we sometimes lower it.

If the awning is anchored and a really high wind comes up, we will roll it up just to make sure that it won't get caught in a strong gust and possibly "go flying". You're right, they are expensive and can cause significant damage to your RV so taking precautions to make sure it is secure or rolled up and out of the way, are just being prudent.

Not have the same awning design, I can't comment on the use of deflappers on a power awning.

We don't have a power awning

byrdr1
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
I have figured out you cant use the standard awning deflappers on the new electric awnings.
IF you can I havent figured it out yet, 3 years with it.
randy