PDA

View Full Version : PVC Fence Post Sewer Hose mod

440justin
04-20-2014, 08:11 PM
I know others have posted this mood, but I thought I would share some pictures of my install on my camper. Some of the other post didn't really show how they were attaching the fence post.

On my passport the frame is steel I-beams so I used a product call a Beam Clamp to clamp onto the frame http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/strut-supports/beam-clamp-3-8/p-1628652-c-12477.htm. The beam clamps are availed in various sizes, but I went with the size that accepts a 3/8" all-thread rod. I then used some Unistrut 4-hold brackets http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/strut-supports/flat-4-hole-bracket/p-1628641-c-12477.htm to support the bottom and then used a second one to clamp the top. I then used jam nuts and nylon lock nuts as appropriate.

I ended up painting everything black so it blends in under the camper.

Parts List as requested:
1 - 5"x5"x96" Vinyl Fence post $25 http://www.lowes.com/pd_17708-73428-73013947_0__
2 - 5x5 Fence post caps $4/each http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=87410-73428-73013955&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4062631&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
1 - 4 1/2" Vinyl gutter $7 http://www.lowes.com/pd_12066-322-RW100_0__
4 - 3/8" Beam Clamps $4/each http://www.lowes.com/pd_47348-53911-Z502-10_0__?productId=3306532&Ntt=beam+clamp&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbeam%2Bclamp&facetInfo=
1 - 3/8" Threaded rod $2 http://www.lowes.com/pd_69888-37672-11018_0__?productId=3129283&Ntt=3%2F8+threaded+rod&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3%252F8%2Bthreaded%2Brod&facetInfo=
4 - Flat 4-hold bracket $2/each http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/strut-supports/flat-4-hole-bracket/p-1628641-c-12477.htm
2 - Cans black spray paint $4/each
Assorted Nuts, and washers

So it cost me about $74 to build this, I might as well been better off just buying one of the Valterra unis, but oh well, sometimes it is more fun to build it yourself.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

audio1der
04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
REALLY nice, thorough job! I wish I could find that gutter to make the tray up here.

Essness
04-21-2014, 02:58 AM
I know others have posted this mood, but I thought I would share some pictures of my install on my camper.

I ended up painting everything black so it blends in under the camper.

440, tell us about how you mounted it? I see the clamps but dont know what they are.......

thanks!

gwbillett
04-21-2014, 03:24 AM
hahaha I had the same question about the clamps you used to mount it. I never thought placing it under like that. I was planning on putting it under the bumber but I like that spot much better. I was looking at the metal strapping to attach it but those clamps look much better

fixithud
04-21-2014, 03:37 AM
the clamps are used in electrical, hvac and plumbing for industrial buildings. Not sure what the 'name' is for them but thay are found at lowes or HD. The clamp is made to be attached to an I beam and there are threads cut into it. Ready rod is usually cut to length and screwed into the clamp and used to hang conduit, pipes or ductwork. Be sure to use a jam nut on the rod so it will not turn out of the clamp.

Hud

440justin
04-21-2014, 04:59 AM
I have edited my first post with some additional information. Help this helps, but let me know if you have any additional questions.

jsmith948
04-21-2014, 05:25 AM
I wonder how much weight the clamps can carry? I sure like the idea of mounting to the frame without drilling additional holes. Wonder if one could mount the BAL spare carrier with those clamps?

440justin
04-21-2014, 05:28 AM
The Unistrut (brand name) clamps I used have a static load ratting of 350 lbs.

canesfan
04-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Thats pretty spiffy! :) (tx)

440justin
04-21-2014, 06:08 AM
I don't have any better pictures than what I have posted, but try the following two links to see if that helps explain it better. Otherwise I it will be this weekend when I go out for the first camping trip before I can take a picture (as I don't store the camper at my house).

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/48865;jsessionid=7jqLSv2ZQhW636x2Gk1lqGyxJq5LBGNhf GN2Q66KgT5GLRmwxkMg!259453287!-804299387?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcRevrsblBeamClmps.asp

jsmith948
04-21-2014, 06:12 AM
The Unistrut (brand name) clamps I used have a static load ratting of 350 lbs.

Thanks for the info - will have to look into these(tx)

f6bits
04-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Those beam clamps sure make for a clean installation. I'll have to have a few on hand when I feel inspired to do a better job on my fence post and maybe some other under-carriage storage.

ThePressureIsOn
04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Wow, that's a lot more classy and easier install than my fence post sewer mod. Nice job!

homer3
04-21-2014, 06:10 PM
What size fence post is this. Do you remember the cost in parts. I like the idea very much as sewer hose is a very tight fit in bumper storage.

440justin
04-21-2014, 07:46 PM
What size fence post is this. Do you remember the cost in parts. I like the idea very much as sewer hose is a very tight fit in bumper storage.

I added a parts list to my original post so in the future if someone finds this thread while searching they don't have to read through all the pages to find my parts list. I spent about $75 to build it with the beam clamps being the most expensive part besides the fence post. So if you mount it differently, don't do the gutter tray, and skip the paint you could be in the $40 range to build about the same thing.

MIKEPATC
04-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks for putting all the links in your post. Made it easy for me to order the stuff from Lowes and yesterday I got it installed before it turned crappy cold again. Thanks for making this Mod easy for me. (tx)

440justin
04-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks for putting all the links in your post. Made it easy for me to order the stuff from Lowes and yesterday I got it installed before it turned crappy cold again. Thanks for making this Mod easy for me. (tx)

Cool! You will have to post a picture. I took the first trip of the year this weekend and the mod works great at the dump station!

PARAPTOR
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Cool! You will have to post a picture. I took the first trip of the year this weekend and the mod works great at the dump station!

Okay after looking at you pictures have to ask;

Is the gutter used as a support for the sewer hose when connected up tot CG sewer or just for housing the sewer hose in the container and ease to getting it in/out?

Cannot tell by the picture is that rigid sewer pipe or flexable sewer hose?

Could you get 2 ten foot flexable sewer hose sections in the container as shown?

Do you have any air vents on there?

Have to add something for sewer hose my rig has no place to it on the outside
(tx)

HappyCamperMN
04-27-2014, 04:50 PM
I was going to ask the same, as Para... any air vents or drainage vents to let any left over water / humidity escape?

I was originally thinking drainage holes. But with the gutter "drawer" (very nice btw), probably makes more sense to drill several air holes along the rear wall of the carrier. Or will those just let water in when driving in the rain / on wet roads? Probably need to put up with the added water so that eventually it will air out.?.?

HappyCamperMN
04-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Looks fantastic!

Have you considered how long the spray paint job will last? Seems any black vinyl fence posts are 2x the cost of your white one. But with simple spray paint and something under the trailer exposed to debris and wind/rain, I would wonder how well the spray paint will hold up.?.?

chartrand
04-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Looks fantastic!

Have you considered how long the spray paint job will last? Seems any black vinyl fence posts are 2x the cost of your white one. But with simple spray paint and something under the trailer exposed to debris and wind/rain, I would wonder how well the spray paint will hold up.?.?

Mine has need on for a year now, and has been fine, I spot sprayer one small scatch so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chartrand
04-27-2014, 06:19 PM
I built one of these a year ago. And have it attached the the bumper. Today I built another on and use the hangers like the OP did. What a idea. I have a stick ladder that I'm putting I the second one. Also I used 1/4 inch instead of 3/8, Home Depot was out of the 3/8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

440justin
04-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Okay after looking at you pictures have to ask;

Is the gutter used as a support for the sewer hose when connected up tot CG sewer or just for housing the sewer hose in the container and ease to getting it in/out?

I camp in state and federal parks most of the time so I normally don't have full hookups so I am using it just as a drawer now. But, if I ever need to I could use it has a hose support.

Cannot tell by the picture is that rigid sewer pipe or flexable sewer hose?

It is a RhinoFLEX Swivel Sewer hose.

Could you get 2 ten foot flexable sewer hose sections in the container as shown?

I have a 15foot RhinoFLEX plus the 5foot RhinoFLEX extension fit nicely in mine. I cut my fence post down to 7' to better fit under the camper, but the whole 8 foot post would of fit just fine if I had wanted to use it.

Do you have any air vents on there?

Not yet, but I am thinking I am going to drill a few.

Have to add something for sewer hose my rig has no place to it on the outside
(tx)

I don't understand why they would make a RV with no place for a sewer hose on the outside, I guess the standard bumper does not work on a toy hauler.

440justin
04-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Looks fantastic!

I really have no idea how long the paint might last. I did buy paint designed to paint plastic so I hope that helps. I also sanded everything with 120 grit sandpaper just to give the paint something to bit into. I figured if nothing else I can hit it with some pint every year or two as needed.

mobile42
04-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I really have no idea how long the paint might last. I did buy paint designed to paint plastic so I hope that helps. I also sanded everything with 120 grit sandpaper just to give the paint something to bit into. I figured if nothing else I can hit it with some pint every year or two as needed.

Nice install, looks like you did a great job keeping the fence post slightly off the Chloroplast underbelly. My install was too tight up against the frame and it damaged the "Black Tank".:(

440justin
04-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Nice install, looks like you did a great job keeping the fence post slightly off the Chloroplast underbelly. My install was too tight up against the frame and it damaged the "Black Tank".:(

I did check under the chloroplast first to make sure I would be OK if I did install it tight (and I was) but I decided to leave space just in case. I also gave me a better way to clamp the post in place.

audio1der
04-27-2014, 09:07 PM
I fit two (folded) 15' Rhino hoses in mine; the fence post came in a 9' length, so you can choose how wide you like/need it. The two hoses fit snugly end to end in mine, so with a door at each end I can reach without a gutter/tray inside.

Sivymp1
04-28-2014, 05:02 AM
I guess my question is there a reason why you did this since the hose is stowed in the bumper? Is there an advantage to this modification?

PARAPTOR
04-28-2014, 05:15 AM
I guess my question is there a reason why you did this since the hose is stowed in the bumper? Is there an advantage to this modification?

No bumper on TH's. Have read where bumpers were rusting due to mositure from sewer hoses

Rusty
04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Looks awesome.

I have already painted, drilled, and capped a fence post cover, it is still sitting in the garage and I will be mounting it in the next couple of weeks. I like that mounting hardware, much better then drilling the frame.

I also put a bolt through the center of it to stop the hose from sliding all the way through then will probably throw in my propane hose or something in the other side as the post cover is 8ft long and goes from one side to the other of the trailer.

Hey audio1der, where abouts in Airdrie are you? We are behind the Superstore off of Veterans.

440justin
04-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Well my RhinoFLEX was a tight fit and the rough surface inside the bumper was rubbing on the hose bad. I didn't wave to have to replace the hose in a few years or get little leaks so I did this. It is also way easier to get the hose in and out the fence post as compared to the bumper.

Sivymp1
04-28-2014, 06:55 AM
I see, good idea.

michol02
04-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice job"bouncey:

Signguy71
04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
What are you using to keep the end caps on the fence post while going down the road?

rhagfo
04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Well my RhinoFLEX was a tight fit and the rough surface inside the bumper was rubbing on the hose bad. I didn't wave to have to replace the hose in a few years or get little leaks so I did this. It is also way easier to get the hose in and out the fence post as compared to the bumper.

Exactly why I did it, with a plus, ALL of your stinky parts fit in the 5" fence post!! No stinky stuff in the basement or storage compartment!!

I hinged my covers, and secure with a clip.

440justin, by chance are you an Electrician by trade??

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_125126_0_a3d0c0712bf6bbc3e2f2f08a9c6924c0.jpg

440justin
04-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Rhagfo I am actually a mechanical engineer at a consulting firm so I specify beam clamps all the time to support piping and ductwork.

Rusty
05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Looked around for the better part of a week and finally found some clamps. just need for this weather to sort itself out and I can hang the PVC tube.......I drilled holes throughout the tube and covers to allow for drainage and stinkiness to leave.......

matandjen
05-12-2014, 04:57 AM
I finished building this over the weekend. It works great and was actually a fun project to do.

Thank you for all of the assistance in getting it done.

Sivymp1
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
I see you have one of those Rhino hoses. I bought one recently and found out it does not fit in the bumper and I instantly thought of this post. Think I have to build one of these.

Charli
07-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Just ordered a Rhino hose on Amazon so looks like another Mod is in my future.

thewhitehat
07-11-2014, 08:25 AM
That's what I did, but left the post and caps white. Also, I like the hinged design.

Sivymp1
07-11-2014, 11:42 AM
I dont have an I Frame though, it is all enclosed. Not sure what to do now. Hmm:confused:

BirchyBoy
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
That's what I did, but left the post and caps white. Also, I like the hinged design.

Brilliant!

WaltBennett
07-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Sorry I don't have any photos of it, but I used the same fence post, but mounted it along the frame rail under where the convenience center is. Caulked one end on and used a small bungee cord through holes to secure the back one. Didn't put a pull out drawer in it, but did drill some drain holes. We tried it out during a week long trip last month and it worked very well.

b.d.m
07-15-2014, 04:57 AM
those clamps are a god sent when i was a plant engineer. Word of advice with them. In high vibration areas they would work loose, so we used lock-tight on the clamping bolt.

I'd advise the same.

Waldo_2001
07-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Here is what I did today in installing my sewer hose storage. It is not as nice as others but holds well and I only cost $42 total investment. I ran the plumbing strap up and over a cross beam them around the post. Then I screwed the strap to a beam. It is pretty solid and should travel just fine.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_137388_0_4d974384ee9f0794c6b32023d28c736e.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_137388_1_fc6cd1037cf4ee4e6c1f0ba369c276ae.jpg

audio1der
07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
I love when I run into "camping geeks" like myself. At the dump station on our way out this past weekend, the fellow next to me noticed and admired the fence post hose holder. We got talking, I gave the forum credit for the idea. Talked about LEDs, stabilizers, ah, I only wish we'd camped side by side.
Even with a fairly short fence post, I can fit 2x 15' Rhino hoses, a 90* elbow, a clear elbow and a Rhino dump hole adaptor. LOVE this mod; thanks again!

pjhansman
07-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Might seem like an odd question.....but where can I buy some of the spring loaded toggle latches that are used to close up the ends?

Amazon has some (as does eBay) but I'd rather not wait (upcoming trip). I was hoping Menards or Lowes would have them but no luck so far.

JRTJH
07-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Have you tried ACE or TrueValue hardware? They are hanging on the shelf in our local TV hardware store.

pjhansman
07-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Have you tried ACE or TrueValue hardware? They are hanging on the shelf in our local TV hardware store.

Thanks John, I shall give that a try.....

Not sure where you're at in Michigan, but coincidently I'm camping near Marquette, so your local TV hardware store might also be temporarily my local TV hardware store.:)

JRTJH
07-30-2014, 05:31 PM
We do a lot of camping in the Crystal Falls/Republic/Negaunee area, Tourist Park in Marquette is almost a "second home" as it's the designated dumping campground after our 5 day bass fishing trips to some of the "no facilities" lakes around the area.

We are located between Gaylord and Alpena, so your TV is not ours, at least not this week. In the next couple of weeks, we'll be stalking bass on a "hardly fished" lake in the UP again :)

PARAPTOR
07-31-2014, 04:11 PM
I love when I run into "camping geeks" like myself. At the dump station on our way out this past weekend, the fellow next to me noticed and admired the fence post hose holder. We got talking, I gave the forum credit for the idea. Talked about LEDs, stabilizers, ah, I only wish we'd camped side by side.
Even with a fairly short fence post, I can fit 2x 15' Rhino hoses, a 90* elbow, a clear elbow and a Rhino dump hole adaptor. LOVE this mod; thanks again!

I completed installing the 8' fence post and drawer and I could only get a 15' and 10' Viper sewer hose in there :confused: I was surprised to see you stated you got all that stuff in yours?? I do not think you could stack hoses in the fence?? Not familiar with the size of the Rhino hoses. What is your secret or what am I missing??

How much stuff were others able to store in their 8' fence?

Thinking about adding a second fence post for the rest of the sewer stuff

audio1der
08-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I am not familiar with Viper hoses...
Rhino hoses collapse and stay collapsed. Each 15' hose is only about 3' long when collapsed.

chartrand
08-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Is the Viper hose collapsible? If so you may need to remove one of the end caps to let it collapse down.

pjhansman
08-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Each 15' hose is only about 3' long when collapsed.

My 10 ft Rhino extension is 39 inches long when collapsed. Can't measure my 15 footer 'cause its in use.:)

Edit: Went out and checked.....my 15 ft Rhino folds up to about 56 inches. Not much chance of 2 of them fitting in an 8 ft space.

PARAPTOR
08-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. Here is a link to Viper sewer hose and yes they are collapsible.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/viper-sewer-hose-kit-15/56712

pjhansman; looks like your Rhino 15' and 10' would only fit in the 96" (56"+39") like my situation with my 15' and 10' Viper sewer hoses. I have about an inch to spare. Still have two 3' or 4' sections used with the BLUE BOY Tank Wagon and a straight clear section, adjustable elbow, and CS sewer adapters that I need to store somewhere. May install a second one near the rear stabilizers and right under the pumping station fuel gauge to store this stuff.

michigancougar
08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
How did you fasten the end caps?

pjhansman
08-13-2014, 02:13 AM
I used 1/8" x1/8" rivets on the hinges and latch. Seems to be good.

glenalt
02-20-2015, 03:32 PM
subscribed

jtwiley4
03-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Looks great! Did you drill any drain holes in the guttering so any residual water from the hose would leak out? Or have you had any problems with residual water from the hose? Sorry should have looked at all the posts. But now I have the parts list and can get it done. Thanks for the pics

PARAPTOR
03-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Did not drill any holes yet. Have only had it out for about three rather long term trips since it was installed. Do not recall any excessive residual water. With the gutter inside would have to put holes in it as well as the fence post if wanted to drain the water. Or was thinking of just putting a few holes near top side edge of fence post just to get some air to circulating inside. I will have to monitor this on future trips if it ever thaws out this year. I think I am going to add a second one this year to store some of the smaller sections I have for a portable tank and other connections. As noted in my previous post my 15' and 10' sewer sections are a tight squeeze in that 8' fence. Very nice mod from one of our members, worked for me. I could no longer handle the smell in the storage area :eek:

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks great! Did you drill any drain holes in the guttering so any residual water from the hose would leak out? Or have you had any problems with residual water from the hose?

michael_h
03-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I put a 4x4 fence post across the top of my bumper of my Premier and then removed it because I didn't need to carry around all that hose . . . . my mileage towing went up back up 1.5MPG

Anyone else notice a mileage loss from disturbance of airflow off the back of their trailer?

audio1der
03-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I put a 4x4 fence post across the top of my bumper of my Premier and then removed it because I didn't need to carry around all that hose . . . . my mileage towing went up back up 1.5MPG

Anyone else notice a mileage loss from disturbance of airflow off the back of their trailer?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? Was the fence post made of lead??:confused:
I drilled several 1/4"holes in the back, bottom corner of our fence post in case of any "water" inside.

Branky
09-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Very nice Sir.
I collected the bits and bobs I needed from our trip to Needles Ca. this spring.
How do you hold the end cap on the "opening end"?
I have looked at a couple of threads and pictures and some are hinged some aren't. It seems to me that mounting hinges to the end cap might cause it to bind.
Thanks for the tread.
...Brent...

440justin
09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Very nice Sir.
I collected the bits and bobs I needed from our trip to Needles Ca. this spring.
How do you hold the end cap on the "opening end"?
I have looked at a couple of threads and pictures and some are hinged some aren't. It seems to me that mounting hinges to the end cap might cause it to bind.
Thanks for the tread.
...Brent...
I actually just use two screws and unscrew it when I get to the dump station. It was the fast, easy, and free solution at the time, I just have not gone back to re-engineer the solution.

JRTJH
09-08-2015, 07:19 PM
I installed the cap on the end of the tube, drilled a small 1/8 inch hole through the cap/tube on each side and I use a small (about 10") piece of 12 gage romex wire (the white one peeled out of the romex) shaped in a C with one end through each of the holes. Over 8000 miles without a lost cap. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself) LOL

Branky
09-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses. I like both ideas.
...Brent...

eds451
09-08-2015, 08:28 PM
I put a hinge and hasp on my pvc. Been there for over 4 years now.

MBD
09-10-2015, 05:19 PM
One of the things I like about my Rhino hose is that there are caps on both ends. That eliminates my need to drill holes and allow water/odor to escape.

Bar-OneRanch
09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
I did the hinges and clasp as well. I made sure they mounted above and below where the gutter would slide inside the tube to prevent interference. I also used pop rivets going from the inside outwards. You will also find that you only want the cap on the tube about half the distance that it can go on so it is able to pivot with the hinges. Hope this helps save some time with the problems that I learned the hard way.
Chris