PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Summerland Fresh Water Tank Removal

zertsman
04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Hello all.. First post here.

I have done a search and not found the answer...

I purchased a 2011 summerland which has a broken freshwater tank spun fitting drain. I can feel that the fitting has partially separated from the bottom of the tank. I need to remove the tank to either repair it or replace it.

It appears that all the fasteners are put in from the top, but there is no access from the inside of the trailer.

If i cannot get tothe heads of the fasteners holding the tank under the trailer, i may have to grind them off or drill them out.

even the screws holding the edges of the coroplast are put in from the top.

i worry i'm missing something obvous.

Festus2
04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Is the actual FW tank drain a spigot/or petcock type or does it have a twist and turn cap on it? I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to it as a "freshwater tank spun fitting drain".
If that is the part that is broken or leaking, you shouldn't have to remove the entire tank to repair it. If you can somehow carefully remove the drain valve (whatever type it is) you should be able to replace it with a similar one and use a special sealant/adhesive that is designed for use in this application. You would, of course, need to drain all the water out of the tank before proceeding with this repair.

The screws that fasten the coroplast to the underbelly should all be inserted from the outside - not from the inside - even those screws around the edges of the coroplast.

zertsman
04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Got a better look today.. The spin fitting did not come off, the tank broke around the fitting. I believe a new tank is in order.

Getting it out will be a trick. The brackets that go across the trailer fit in the I beam frame at each end. The galvanized straps under the tank are attached to these brackets by self tapping screws from the top. There is no way to take this apart. If I can get one end of all the straps out by breaking and drilling out the screws, I'll be in business. I'll re-assemble it with stainless carrage bolts and nylock nuts that I can get off from underneath.

question is, where is the best place to buy a tank? quick searches haven't turned up any that are 7" thick, but I've just started my search

thanks for the reply

JRTJH
04-18-2014, 08:10 PM
There is a tank repair kit that will work to "weld" the tank and fitting back together. All the reviews of the kit are positive and the company says that the repair is stronger than the original tank. You might want to do some cost comparison between a new tank and a repair kit and a couple hours of your time......

Here's one link to the kit: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/instant-tank-repair.htm