PDA

View Full Version : Front landing gear creaking

Ems142
04-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Hello,

I am getting a creaking noise from my front landing jacks during movement especially last night during a wind storm. I have not heard this before trailer is only 1 year old, it is set up on a concrete pad.

Anyone else experience this?

Thank you.

therink
04-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Are you using stabilizer bars on the landing gear or have a king pin tripod? If not, it could simply be the dynamic of the landing gear feet on hard concrete surface and movement of the trailer from the wind. OEM landing gear legs generally have some play in them. Of course iI would check to make sure the top of the landing gear bolts are tight to the frame inside front compartment.

Jeff and Rita
04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Does the king pen tripod really work to stabilize ? New to the RV World...

Festus2
04-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Does the king pen tripod really work to stabilize ? New to the RV World...

My short answer would be no. There are several members, including me, who have tried one of these tripods and abandoned them. I think you would be far better off to purchase one of the stabilizing systems that attach onto your front landing gear. Steadyfast and JT Strong Arm are two such systems and have proven to be much more effective in keeping the front of the RV steady.

They cost more than a tripod but you won't be wasting your money with either system. Both are permanently mounted, can be installed by a DIY'er and easily set up.

In addition the tripod is a nuisance to store unlike the other two where you don't have to be concerned about where to put it.

therink
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I had a tripod because it was given to me. Yes it did help but was a pain to handle, set up and store. I installed one set of Bal locking stabilizer bars on the landing gear and one set on the rear jacks (paid $60 each set delivered) and they are rock solid. I sold the tripod for $50.

Bluewater
04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
We have used just the tripod and could not be happier. Once you learn how to set it up and adjust it properly the movement is gone. It also acts as a guard so I don't run into the hitch when moving around the front. Their may be more of a hastle storing it but that I feel is minor. Make sure you grease your landing gear also. I'm sure the other system works quite well also. happy camping

Terry W.
04-19-2014, 04:53 AM
OK he stated during movement. I figure he means during extention and retraction. If this is the case mine as 2 grease fitting on both each leg. There were hard to find as there are painted black like the legs and poor lighting. I found greaseing them help quit a bit. I grease mine about once a year while doing my wet bolt on axles. Just my 2CW.

PARAPTOR
04-19-2014, 05:49 AM
We have used just the tripod and could not be happier. Once you learn how to set it up and adjust it properly the movement is gone. It also acts as a guard so I don't run into the hitch when moving around the front. Their may be more of a hastle storing it but that I feel is minor. Make sure you grease your landing gear also. I'm sure the other system works quite well also. happy camping

X2 bought it used (cheap :D ) from a fellow camper who traded his 5th wheel for a park trailer. No issues so far other than other than as stated above storing it, not a real big deal and becomes routine after a while :yawn: