PDA

View Full Version : OEM LED Awning Lights Question

canesfan
04-15-2014, 05:52 AM
So I have the OEM awning lights. I had a question from another member as to how they were mounted, so I looked at mine. They are mounted in a channel that is affixed to the underside of the gutter/awning attachment grove. They point down, not out.

Question is, do any of the LEDs come this way, with the channel? Or are you all just sticking them to the sidewall of the coach?

(tx)

Laredo291OH
04-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Posted this link in another thread the other day. Think most people just attach to the side of the RV. Do you like your light?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-16-WHITE-LED-Awning-Party-Light-w-Mounting-Channel-Perfit-PERFECT-GLOW-USA-/271230334059?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item3f2696746b&vxp=mtr

canesfan
04-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks!! That's what I was wondering/looking for. I was looking through the LED threads but couldn't find that, or missed it/overlooked it. That seems to be the kind I have.

Yes, I like mine. They make just the right amount of light, more than enough to cook by, but not obnoxious. :) They are light blueish and look great with my grey trailer. Got lots of compliments so far. I may add a dimmer down the road if they'll work with a dimmer.

(tx)

PARAPTOR
04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Heard two different things from Dometic 1.) its all one piece awning and led channel that slide into the coach channel, and 2.) its two pieces that need to be slide into channel together. I actually prefer this technique over sticking the led's to the side of the coach. Obviously if stuck on side of coach they point outward and it stuck under or in channel under awning they are facing downward. Thought I had read somewhere that some led strips have the leds angled on the strip??

canesfan
04-15-2014, 09:40 AM
PARAPTOR, I don't really see why the need for the channel to begin with. It's stuck on with tape...the LEDs are stuck on with tape. :confused: Can't you just stick the LED strip up under the awning bracket without the channel? I guess I'm missing something as to what the channel does. :banghead:

canesfan
04-15-2014, 09:45 AM
And I forgot, here's what they (sort of) look like, they are bluer in person than in this picture and the awnings aren't out either which makes a difference since they sort of reflect off the awning, too.

PARAPTOR
04-15-2014, 09:58 AM
I do not think on mine at least that the bottom edge of the current channel which the awning slides into is wide enough to even try and stick the leds onto. That is why I thought others had same problem and therefore was sticking the led strips right onto the side of the coach. That is why I thought they added that extra channel ??

Would go out and take picture but snowing and freezing rain outside right now FIGURES :eek:

canesfan
04-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Ok, you're gonna force me to get out the ladder again and go measure things. It has stopped raining here for now and keep that cold stuff up there by you!! The LED strip is pretty narrow and unless you have a different awning rail then me (which is entirely possible) than you should have room to stick them up there under it like mine are. Let me see what I can see.

Laredo291OH
04-15-2014, 10:25 AM
The reason I like the channel is replacement. If the LED strip goes bad I have to peel it off and clean off the tape as best I can, then replace it. From what I have read about the channel, the LED strip is like a snap fit into the channel with the channel being taped to the side of the RV, which to me would make it much easier to replace the LED if there is a problem. Have also read that the tape on the back of the LEDs that are sold on Ebay and Amazon isn't always the best.

canesfan
04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
The awning rail underneath is 3/4". The channel the LEDs are mounted in is less, the LED strip looks to be maybe 3/8". I only have a 6' stepladder here so I can't get up close to get those smaller measurements, but the 3/4" I can see. I forgot to look at which Dometic awning I have. :banghead:

canesfan
04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
The reason I like the channel is replacement. If the LED strip goes bad I have to peel it off and clean off the tape as best I can, then replace it. From what I have read about the channel, the LED strip is like a snap fit into the channel with the channel being taped to the side of the RV, which to me would make it much easier to replace the LED if there is a problem. Have also read that the tape on the back of the LEDs that are sold on Ebay and Amazon isn't always the best.
That makes sense. But if you read their mounting instructions (the link you supplied) they say both the channel and LEDs have 3M tape. I wonder how tight the LED strip fits into the channel and if you have to use the tape? I guess there's one way to find out. :D

PARAPTOR
04-15-2014, 02:33 PM
That makes sense. But if you read their mounting instructions (the link you supplied) they say both the channel and LEDs have 3M tape. I wonder how tight the LED strip fits into the channel and if you have to use the tape? I guess there's one way to find out. :D

x2 Canesfan when I seen the post from Laredo291OH "Someone else posted similar before, why not buy this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-16-WHITE-...96746b&vxp=mtr" That was the closest I could find to a channel like the OEM version. Just checked my notes and one Dometic rep said it was two separate pieces the awning and the Led channel with lights gets pushed full length into the awning channel with the awning. not snap on?? I liked that channel concept with the led's inside and the whole thing under the awning. On the other hand another REP said it was one piece?

Canesfan; by looking at your pictures, awning number looks like 916FT15 501UL think that UL at the end is to identify the leds, which some what leads me to think it maybe it is one piece?? I was hoping that the kit identified by laredo291oh would somehow clip on in sections, BUT as I read it seems like channel is taped on and then leds taped onto that?? In that post and hear my concern was if channel is taped on what stops that from coming off like leds. Has anyone bought the referenced kit from ebay and does it snap on or tape?

Canesfan, will have to measure my awning channel, buy pictures yours looks much wider?? If it ever stays warm up here and dry will see where I can fish wire and put switches.

Tentative plan is put switch in garage for garage side awning coming in near Frig access panel and up the arm. Front awning not sure how to get to wiring looks like goes into front bedroom floor area?? Plan on putting that switch either on main panel or by thermostat.

CAnesfan, laredo291oh (tx)

Waldo_2001
04-15-2014, 05:59 PM
My kit I bought has the channel to mount the leds in and I did not choose to use the 3m tape on the leds other than maybe 4" on each end. The strip fits in the channel very tight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-16-WHITE-LED-Awning-Party-Light-w-Mounting-Channel-Perfit-PERFECT-GLOW-USA-/271230334059?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f2696746b
James

HappyCamperMN
04-15-2014, 06:09 PM
How are the OEM LEDs powered / wired? switched? I would assume they are 12v LEDs that are hard-wired into the RV somewhere. Where is the switch that you turn them on/off?

How are folks that are doing this themselves adding the LED strip? running your power cord?

I asked my dealer to install an LED light strip since our 31BHPR isn't expected to have one. They quoted me $150 + an hour of labor to hard-wire into trailer 12v and add a switch. The $150 is greatly over-priced, I know, but I don't really want the first thing I do to my new RV is to start drilling holes in the side to run a wire in for LED awning light power...

canesfan
04-16-2014, 05:45 AM
How are the OEM LEDs powered / wired? switched? I would assume they are 12v LEDs that are hard-wired into the RV somewhere. Where is the switch that you turn them on/off?

Mine the wiring runs down the front awning arm, into the coach somewhere around the bedroom floor height and to a switch on the control panel.

canesfan
04-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Tentative plan is put switch in garage for garage side awning coming in near Frig access panel and up the arm. Front awning not sure how to get to wiring looks like goes into front bedroom floor area?? Plan on putting that switch either on main panel or by thermostat.

CAnesfan, laredo291oh (tx)

Do you have a dresser at the foot end of the bed on that wall? If so maybe you can come through the wall behind the dresser and then down through the floor into the basement? Maybe drill right through awning arm and sidewall so as to keep the wiring hidden?

canesfan
04-16-2014, 05:51 AM
FYI to all, the links being posted in this thread above, if you read all the fine print, they offer the lights in either neutral white or cool blue and also the channel in either white or black. Make sure you get the right listing for what you want.

PARAPTOR
04-16-2014, 11:52 AM
The awning rail underneath is 3/4". The channel the LEDs are mounted in is less, the LED strip looks to be maybe 3/8". I only have a 6' stepladder here so I can't get up close to get those smaller measurements, but the 3/4" I can see. I forgot to look at which Dometic awning I have. :banghead:

:hpyclp: Finally got outside to measure awning rail :surprise: as you can see by the picture, bottom of awning rail is curved and measures around 5/16" total width from coach side. Tried pushing awning material up to see if I could slide something under awning in that slot. NO very tight in that rail !! Now have a feeling that the awning you have is one piece awning and light channel sewed into one :( Looks like this project may be on hold unless I just get that set with the channel and attach to side of coach right below the awning rail?? I was trying to avoid using that adhesive backing on the channel and/or leds by sliding a channel into existing awning channel. Also instead of leds pointing downward (washing side of coach) by attaching to coach side they will now be pointing outward. Any comments on area lite going either way ???

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated

canesfan
04-17-2014, 06:38 AM
That's totally different than mine. If the awning isn't tight in the groove maybe you can wedge them in there? :) Or stick them to the underside of the awning itself? :D Or you can stick them to the side and they will reflect off the awning, especially being white. I don't know how flexible just the LED strip is, maybe you can stick them to the curved thing itself?

I think this is at least a 6 pack decision. :party:

PARAPTOR
04-17-2014, 07:31 AM
That's totally different than mine. If the awning isn't tight in the groove maybe you can wedge them in there? :) Or stick them to the underside of the awning itself? :D Or you can stick them to the side and they will reflect off the awning, especially being white. I don't know how flexible just the LED strip is, maybe you can stick them to the curved thing itself?

I think this is at least a 6 pack decision. :party:

As I stated, awning is very tight in rail, tried moving awning up and down in rail; NOTHING. With that 5/16" awning rail being curved, not enough surface area to attach leds or channel to that bottom edge. From what I have read about that adhesive backing not sticking on totally flat surfaces, will not trust it on this curved edge. My design goal was to mechanically attach a channel to the awning rail and slide led lights into it, then if have problem with lights just slide out and replace.

Looks like I am stuck, if I still want to go with the channel concept would have to buy that Kit mentioned in previous posts and mount it to the side of the coach up against the awning rail. In closed position awning roll will protect this channel/leds and also block light from going outward and just wash down the side of the Raptor. Given the channel/led position up against the awning rail, as the awning is rolled up in a downward slope the led light will reflect off the white underside of the awning. So I think that channel concept will work even though I did not want to stick anything to the side of the Raptor.

The other design requirement was no remotes and individual switches for each awning. I will have to go poking around to see what I can get to, easiest would be rear side awning, wire down arms into coach same hole as awning wiring into FRIG rear access compartment then to common wall in garage where awning switch is located. Front awning is another thing entering Raptor in bedroom wall, like you said behind dresser on that wall. Not putting any holes in coach. Unless I can figure all portions in my head will go without the awning leds.

Oh tried that 6 pack thing, kinda worked fell asleep :eek:

Thanks canesfan; open for other suggestions

canesfan
04-17-2014, 07:54 AM
If it was me I'd stick the channel on the side seeing what you have to work with. It will be hardly noticeable. I'm picky about things and my stuff be seriously, that's what I would do.

Only other thought if you are dead set on them pointing down is to get a piece of L shaped plastic and fashion a mounting out of it. I think that would look really odd though.

Sorry to not have better suggestions. :(

PARAPTOR
04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
If it was me I'd stick the channel on the side seeing what you have to work with. It will be hardly noticeable. I'm picky about things and my stuff be seriously, that's what I would do.

Only other thought if you are dead set on them pointing down is to get a piece of L shaped plastic and fashion a mounting out of it. I think that would look really odd though.

Sorry to not have better suggestions. :(

I agree the channel is what I would go with mounted under the awning rail attached to the Raptor using the adhesive backing, based on slope of awning when open, think leds will reflect off awning rather then straight out attempting to light up entire camp site :eek: So not pointing down is not an issue. The project go/no go will depend on getting wires to switch(s) locations in the Raptor. Oh by the way, as general information for others that may be interested, called that ebay company referenced above. Channel is clear and for now they only have the white pcb available.

Really need to get into that basement to see what I have to work with. From other posts on various topics who knows what I may find in there :eek: The EMS system is the big one finding good good place for monitor and a meter for monitoring the 12VDC line/batteries. If I have to craw in there might as well get it all. Possibly add some more RG6 coaxial cable. From other posts may take sweeper :banghead:

Thanks

towin4fun
04-17-2014, 04:46 PM
i just recived the led channel kit from ebay. hope to install it this weekend. i will send pics and see what everyone thinks.