PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel hitch guide?

markiv396
05-13-2009, 04:30 AM
I am looking at my first 5th wheel camper and would like some general direction with regard to purchasing a hitch. The campers were interested in have generally 10000-11000lbs GVRW. There is such a wide price range and some have mounting rails and others do not. My TV is a 2008 GMC 2500HD with the 6.6 diesel and 6.5' box.

Any suggestions or warnings would be helpful.

Also, what to expect the first time you start pulling one could be of some use.

Thanks,

markiv396
05-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Forgot to include that I have located several used hitches and would like opinions regarding if buying used is a good idea.

Lastly how difficult is it to install yourself.

Thanks again...:)

Festus2
05-13-2009, 09:43 PM
To answer your last question first, I would suggest purchasing a new hitch as opposed to a used one if you are not overly concerned about price. If a used one has the features you want and the correct capacity or rating, then buying used might not be a bad idea.
For the 5th wheel weight that you mentioned, I would buy one rated at 15000 - 16000 lbs. If, however, you plan on getting something bigger and heavier in the future, then you might want to consider one rated at 20,000 lbs.
I have a Draw-Tite ( similar to Reese) pivoting head --- it pivots in two directions----- side to side and front to back. I find that a double pivot making it easier to hitch up especially when you are on slightly uneven ground and it also provides more leeway when turning or going over rough or bumpy roads.
This model also has rails mounted front to back enabling the hitch to be moved back if you should find yourself in a very tight turning radius or have a truck with a short bed. My hitch can be moved back about 10 inches providing more room between the cab and the front of the 5th wheel. I have never had to move it but if I find myself in a situation where I need more room, then I am able to.
I think it is called a "Kwik Slide" or something like that...... it can be locked into two positions --- one for towing and the other for maneuvering.
As far as installing it yourself is concerned, a new hitch comes with all of the instructions and details regarding mounting in various truck models and makes. Unless you are fairly competent in this area and have the tools to do the job, I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. This is not something that you want coming apart when you are pulling a 10,000 lb 5th wheel down the Interstate!
Good luck....hope this sheds some light on your purchase.

hoffbrew
05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Is this your first time towing? Have you towed a travel trailer b-4? From my experience it is nicer towing a 5th wheel period. On purchasing a hitch, used is not an issue, I know a few people that have purchased used, just do your homework on the one you would like to buy then look for it, they are out there. I have a buddy with the same truck as you and has never used his slider... yet.
Look on CraigsList/CraigsHelper.
As for installing your self... Well...If you know how too go for it. i know the shop around my area will install for $200.00.

Festus2
05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Another item which you will have to purchase is a Brake Controller. Many RVer's use the Prodigy Brake Control and have been quite happy with it. You can buy cheaper ones but you can't go wrong with a Prodigy - in my opinion. If $$$$ is no object, you can also buy "fancy" pin boxes but for the extra $$$, they are not worth it unless you are towing a long and heavy 5th wheel.
If you are looking at something in the 10,000 to 11,000 lb range, your 2500 GMC Duramax will perform admirably. More $$$ to spend? A 5th wheel tailgate is a great purchase.

BigFun
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Our Raptor is my first 5th wheel tow. I looked at bed mounted vs frame mounted and the convertibility to goose neck if needed. I went with a Reese/Draw Tight Signature Series frame mount 18K. The installation was rather straight forward but a little difficult with only yourself as installer/helper. Simple hand tools, a 200 LB/FT torque wrench, and a little patience and time (4+ hours). There's a 24K model if 18K isn't big enough. With a short box, consider a sliding hitch as Festus was referring. I'm new to FW towing, but a lot with short beds swear by them.

I wanted a frame system because, when the hitch is not in use, it can be removed from the truck and the bed is clear of the mounting rails allowing unrestricted use on the bed for whatever. I bought new from www.eTrailer.com. Best price on the net, no shipping charge, and no sales tax for WA. Half the cost of Camping World.

The Prodogy is a GREAT controller! Worked as well on a smaller enclosed motorcycle trailer we had as it does on the Raptor. Works with up to four axles. New or used; your choice. There are harnesses available for just about all the newer trucks.

Best of all, you get all this new adventure with selection and installation and use. That's just part of the fun as you head toward paradise!

BF

Flyguy
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
You might want to check out the Pullrite Superglide automatic hitch here: http://www.pullrite.com/index.htm it was made for short box TV's like my 5'-8" box. This hitch will automatically slide rearward as you turn. If you look on my homepage in the towing folder, you will find info on brake controllers and wiring diagrams for most TV's. Here's a link to the Superglide Video: http://www.pullrite.com/mm1.htm

5er
08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I have been Fulltiming for years and I have had a Pullrite Superglide for all those years. In those years I have made every conceivable turn without even thinking about getting out to slide the hitch. I have backed into many a CG site using a nearly full 90 degree turn. I have made tight U turns without a problem.
Just the piece of mind of the hitch doing it's job is worth the extra cost. With the manual slider, just forget one time and take out the rear window or the worse case scenario damage the truck or nose of the 5th wheel and you'll be saying "Man I could have had a Superglide"

suuntoCore
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I wanted a frame system because, when the hitch is not in use, it can be removed from the truck and the bed is clear of the mounting rails allowing unrestricted use on the bed for whatever. I bought new from www.eTrailer.com. Best price on the net, no shipping charge, and no sales tax for WA. Half the cost of Camping World.

BF

I have been looking at this hitch as well and am going to buy it from etrailer too. Your right, about half as much as camping world wanted for it.

Ruffus
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Mark, I found a 16K superglide with the bed rails, frame rails, adapter plates on craigslist for $700. Normally around $2500. The photo that was posted looked good so I drove 100 miles and was not disapointed. A good cleaning and I towed my new 5ver home yesterday 160 miles and it worked great. Just inspect any hitch for excessive rust and any cracks before buying.