PDA

View Full Version : should I upgrade

richf28
04-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Im thinking of upgrading from my 2011 f150 ecoboost with a 11, 300 tow capacity. We think it limits us a bit when upgrading to a fifth wheel camper. After going to the Ford dealer I find that an f250 with gas and 3:73 gears only ups me a 1000 lbs of tow capacity and a GM vehicle 2500hd with 4:10 gears and gas about 1200 lbs more. Is it really worth the expense to upgrade or are my figures incorrect. I really wasnt hoping to go diesel on account of the cost of the vehicles and price of the fuel. Would like some experienced opinions on behalf of the gasoline vehicles. I figure if I go the expense of a diesel truck and the cost of a fifth wheel I might as well look into a motorhome with them costs.

SAD
04-14-2014, 02:39 AM
When you're comparing trucks.... Forget "tow rating".... It's a BS lie, perfect world scenario you cannot achieve.

If you're wanting to 5th wheel and you're comparing your F150 to a F250 with similar "tow ratings".... Instead look at the GCWR and GAWR (rear) of each truck.

GCWR is the max recommended weight Ford rates the truck for. This is the combined weight of the tow vehicle PLUS the towed unit. The GCWR of the F250 will likely be much higher than the Ecobost.

GAWR (rear) - gross axle weight rating for the rear axle. This is where nearly 100% of the pin weight of a 5er will sit. The F250 will have a much higher rating than the F150.

Given some "rule of thumb", a 5er will put roughly 20-25% of it's gross weight directly on the rear axle of the tow rig. On an 11,000 pound 5er, this translates to about 2,500 lbs. Within the capabilities of the F250 rear axle (and tires) and NOT within the capabilities of the F150 (axle and tires).

Laredo291OH
04-14-2014, 02:53 AM
From my experience, tried towing a 29' Laredo TT with my wife's Yukon that has a tow capacity of 8200 lbs, surprisingly the same exact gross weight of a Laredo 291TG, I'm guessing not by accident of Keystone. The Yukon was more than capable of pulling the camper but it wasn't capable of towing it, as in I couldn't get rid of sway. I bought a GMC 2500 HD, according to GM it only has a tow capacity of 9000 lbs, only 800 more than the Yukon. Can't understand that seeing all the heavy duty stuff on the truck, but that's what GM says. This truck can tow the camper just fine, don't even really know it's back there and I'm guessing it could tow quite a bit more than the 9000 lbs it is rated for, but I'm not going to start that whole debate.

mguay
04-14-2014, 02:54 AM
Payload capacity is the number of concern.

A 5th wheel usually has 20% of its GVW on the king pin (in the bed of the truck).

So a 12,000 lb 5er will have approximately 2400 lbs of pin weight.

Hoojs12840
04-14-2014, 03:53 AM
I would reckon the f150 has around 3k payload capacity. Figure in whatever your family and in cab gear weight (capacity ratings only consider 150# driver, which would be great if I could have afforded to do this as a junior in high school) hitch. My guess you would have around 2400-2500 left after adding hitch.

I would check what the payload, tire and axle ratings. That will give you the info you need. Depending on model and options (sierra Denali has less capacity then sle/slt.) guess all the nice stuff weights a lot!

SAD
04-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Rather than speculate, look it up.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

SAD
04-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Or even better.... Take your vehicle to a cat scale and find out based upon what YOU take along with you.

http://www.cat-scales.com

jsmith948
04-14-2014, 04:56 AM
This ^^^^^^^^^^!

Also, not to start a diesel vs. gas thing. Run the numbers - you will find that the increased fuel mileage while towing will more than offset the increased cost per gallon of diesel over gasoline.

440justin
04-14-2014, 09:37 AM
You can look at my scale numbers to see the story of how little cap the rear axle of a 1/2 ton truck really has.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16663

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GaryWT
04-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Most 150's have a payload of 1300 to 1700 unless it has a heavy duty package. 250's and 350's are close on most everything but payload on a 260 is around 3200 and a 350 is around 3900. Tow is over 12,000 and can approach 18,000 with a diesel which on a Ford cost $8,300 more. I looked at Chevy's but none that we looked at towing better than 9,600. In my area there are a lot more 350's than 250's and the price was similar.

fla-gypsy
04-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Forget the 5th wheel with the 1/2 ton. It is about payload if you want to go that route. The Ford gasser with a 4.30 rear wheel do it if you prefer not to go diesel.

richf28
04-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. So what I'm getting is when towing a tag a long style you go by the tow capacity rating. On a fifth wheel you go by payload capacity and not exceed the gross combination weight. I understand diesel will balance out in the mpg with the gasser but I cant justify the initial cost of the diesel unless I figured on towing full time long distant.

440justin
04-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. So what I'm getting is when towing a tag a long style you go by the tow capacity rating. On a fifth wheel you go by payload capacity and not exceed the gross combination weight. I understand diesel will balance out in the mpg with the gasser but I cant justify the initial cost of the diesel unless I figured on towing full time long distant.

No, you have to look at all the numbers no matter what kind of towing you do. GAWR and GVWR matter for both bumper pull and fifth wheel.

richf28
04-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Ok. Thanks. Looked up the specs on mine as well as the 250s and 350s. I see what you're saying now and it makes sense. I dont think the salesman was really knowledgeable and because of it lost a sale.

avidbowhunterww
04-16-2014, 04:57 AM
I am jumping into a 2014 Ram 2500 from my 2010 F-150. The frame, suspension, etc... is what is making the difference for me. My F-150 tows well, but not in windy weather. I am getting the 6.4 Hemi.

My reasons:

CTD is a strong motor, but even if it gets me 300k miles and decent towing mileage.... it still means 15 quart oil changes, fuel filters, fuel additives, and everything except the motor under the hood will not last 300k miles.........

Add this up and my Hemi is the better option. I will only be driving the truck to work and at most camping 25 times per year. Mostly short trips about 4 to 5 hours away from home....... Probably not what diesel fans want to hear on our forum, but the extra $8,500 for the CTD is a factor as well. Just my opinion, but you know what they say about those............

Javi
04-16-2014, 05:02 AM
I am jumping into a 2014 Ram 2500 from my 2010 F-150. The frame, suspension, etc... is what is making the difference for me. My F-150 tows well, but not in windy weather. I am getting the 6.4 Hemi.

My reasons:

CTD is a strong motor, but even if it gets me 300k miles and decent towing mileage.... it still means 15 quart oil changes, fuel filters, fuel additives, and everything except the motor under the hood will not last 300k miles.........

Add this up and my Hemi is the better option. I will only be driving the truck to work and at most camping 25 times per year. Mostly short trips about 4 to 5 hours away from home....... Probably not what diesel fans want to hear on our forum, but the extra $8,500 for the CTD is a factor as well. Just my opinion, but you know what they say about those............

15 qts.... but it's every 7500 miles instead of 3000 miles... that kind of negates the extra cost, at least as far as oil changes go.. :D

And you get the extra 8K back on trade in..

avidbowhunterww
04-16-2014, 05:14 AM
I run full synthetic and change every 5,000 miles. Only 3,000 when towing.

Ken / Claudia
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Avidbowhunterww, for this comment lets leave out fuel type and brand. I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment about what and why you beleive the bigger truck is better. If a tow vehicle is heavier it should tow better, handle better, stop better than a ligher truck pulling the same trailer. Let us know what trailer you have and how the two different trucks compare pulling the same trailer on the same roads after a trip or two.

Javi
04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I run full synthetic and change every 5,000 miles. Only 3,000 when towing.

And some folks running full synthetic in the diesel are going 10K between changes.. :)

My diesel gets better mileage towing, and running empty than a gasser of the same size class. The maintenance is about the same on an yearly basis as my gas gasser was. Fuel is higher but the extra mpg helps negate that. So the only real difference is in the initial cost and like I said you get most of that back at trade in.

Nothing wrong with a gas truck, just for me the diesel is better cause I ain't listening to the motor scream at 6000 rpm to climb a hill.

SAD
04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
I LOL when people try to justify ANY purchase (gas, diesel, etc) when it comes to RVing..

I bought it cause I like it... I've got a good job and I don't give a damn what it costs -> :D

Javi
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I LOL when people try to justify ANY purchase (gas, diesel, etc) when it comes to RVing..

I bought it cause I like it... I've got a good job and I don't give a damn what it costs -> :D

Well except for the good job part... you got me :D

Does this look like a guy with a good job..??:D

SAD
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Well except for the good job part... you got me :D

Does this look like a guy with a good job..??:D

looks like santi-clause.... the giver of all gifts good.

therink
04-16-2014, 02:31 PM
2500 HD GM will have around 3000 payload. A 3500 HD GM Single rear wheel will have around 4000 payload. If any fifth wheel you are interested has gvwr greater than 11000 gvwr, I highly recommend a 3500 SRW. I have a lot of experience with this so please feel free to PM me if you want my opinions.
Steve

richf28
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Now, im totally baffled. Went to ford dealership. Looked at a 2011 f350, supercrew, single rear wheel with 3:73 gears. 6.2 gas engine, GVWR 11, 200.:I was told the legal fifth wheel capacity of the truck is 11, 800 lbs. My ecoboost is legally 11, 300 lbs. I aint getting any of this. Got a headache! :banghead: I was told I would need a diesel with 4:30 gears to make any difference at all.

440justin
04-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Now, im totally baffled. Went to ford dealership. Looked at a 2011 f350, supercrew, single rear wheel with 3:73 gears. 6.2 gas engine, GVWR 11, 200.:I was told the legal fifth wheel capacity of the truck is 11, 800 lbs. My ecoboost is legally 11, 300 lbs. I aint getting any of this. Got a headache! :banghead: I was told I would need a diesel with 4:30 gears to make any difference at all.

You got to look at payload and GAWR! The payload of the F350 is 3,750 to 4,220 (depending on wheel base) the F150 has a payload of 1,500 is most cases. If you have the max trailer tow that gets you 1,900 pounds. That is the big difference! About any fifth wheel will take up your whole payload cap or more on a F150. The rear GAWR on the srw F350 is 7,180 and the F150 is in the 3,900 pound range. Again this is where the big difference is. The tow ratings on the 1/2 ton trucks has gotten way over stated the last few years!

440justin
04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I hope the SAE J2807 will help address this over starting of half ton truck tow ratings in the future.

440justin
04-17-2014, 12:34 PM

So I just checked Ford's website and none of the numbers you gave really match any of the F350.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/

Also the 4.30 with the diesel is only offered on a F450.

richf28
04-17-2014, 01:27 PM
www.ford.com/.../ford/.../towingguides/11FLMRVTT_SuperDtyNov18.pdf

First link shows the 4:30 gears.
Second is the attachment that shows door sticker.
Also confirmed my info with a second ford dealer.

Javi
04-17-2014, 02:11 PM
www.ford.com/.../ford/.../towingguides/11FLMRVTT_SuperDtyNov18.pdf (http://www.ford.com/.../ford/.../towingguides/11FLMRVTT_SuperDtyNov18.pdf)

First link shows the 4:30 gears.
Second is the attachment that shows door sticker.
Also confirmed my info with a second ford dealer.

So are you still confused about an F350 tow rating? cause it's a WHOLE lot more than 11K

richf28
04-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Not according to two ford dealers and one rv dealer. All said I need to go diesel in order to benefit myself over my present half ton ecoboost. Thats a shame because I really had my heart set on the f350 I saw.

Javi
04-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Not according to two ford dealers and one rv dealer. All said I need to go diesel in order to benefit myself over my present half ton ecoboost. Thats a shame because I really had my heart set on the f350 I saw.

Well the door sticker you posted say that truck can weigh 11,200 pounds (GVWR) and can carry up to 7000 pounds on the rear axle (GAWR). What does the door sticker on your F150 say. I think you might be confusing the published towing capacity (what the truck can pull) and what the truck can haul. The two are very different.

How much weight you can put in or on the truck is more important to how big a 5th wheel you can haul than how much the truck can pull. The GVWR of your F150 is a lot less than the GVWR of the F350 sticker you posted. As is the payload (yellow sticker on the door)

richf28
04-18-2014, 02:57 AM
Thats what confuses me. Both dealers told me that the fifth wheel towing capacity is just a bit over the ecoboost and not worth my investment. The ford towing capacity guide shows that to be true. My present combination weight is like 17, 500 and the f350 is only 18, 100. These arent my assumptions. These are the figures given me my 2 ford dealers and last night a gm dealer stated pretty much the same. Need to go diesel is all I hear from them

SAD
04-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Thats what confuses me. Both dealers told me that the fifth wheel towing capacity is just a bit over the ecoboost and not worth my investment. The ford towing capacity guide shows that to be true. My present combination weight is like 17, 500 and the f350 is only 18, 100. These arent my assumptions. These are the figures given me my 2 ford dealers and last night a gm dealer stated pretty much the same. Need to go diesel is all I hear from them

I think the problem with the dealer's response is they're simply regurgitating what's in the marketing materials.... Which are all perfect world scenarios...

Between the Ecoboot's combined 17.5 rating and the 18.1 rating (presuming gas?).... That rating is related to each truck's ability to PULL the load. The gas F250 is likely not much (if any) more powerful than the Ecoboost...

What really needs to be considered is the ability to carry the load (pin/tongue weight) associated with the trailer big enough to take you to the max rating on either of those two trucks.

As indicated earlier, look at the GAWR (gross axle weight rating) for the REAR axle of each vehicle... This will give you the clearest example of the superiority of of any HD single rear wheel truck over a 1/2 ton pickup.

Javi
04-18-2014, 03:16 AM

Okay, so that's were the confusion is... In the real world there is very little correlation between towing capacity and being able to tow. These trailers all have a percentage of their weight that will be put on to the tow vehicle. For a 5th wheel it is usually between 18% and 25% of the total weight of the trailer as it sits before hooking up to the TV. So an 17.5K trailer could have a pin weight (the weight the TV has to carry) of somewhere between 3150 lbs and 4375 pounds. So you can see that even though the towing capacity of the F150 is 17,500 it would be impractical if not impossible for the F150 to carry the pin weight of that size trailer.

Published towing capacities are misleading at best and dangerous at worse, because they lead folks to believe that they can hook up to that size trailer and take off. The truth is that YES the truck will tow that amount of weight IF you can find a trailer that weighs that much but only puts a few hundred pounds of that weight on the truck.

If you want to know HOW BIG of a trailer your F150 will haul then load it with everything you would carry for a trip, then go to a Cat scale at the nearest truck stop and weigh it. Subtract that weight from the GVWR as listed on the sticker on the door post and that is the weight left for the pin weight and hitch for a 5th wheel..

440justin
04-18-2014, 03:31 AM
I hay to say most dealers don't know crap! I had a dealer look my in the eyes and tell me the ecoboost with a 3.31 is rated to pull 11,300. All these people know is the marketing material.

Not to be mean, but I feel like we keep telling you the same thing over and over and you are not getting it or don't want to listen. We are all trying to help you and keep you from being fooled by the dealers.

If your F150 and trailer weigh 17,000 pounds you are way over the combined weight limit!

If you know you you are not going to get stupid big and you don't want to spend the money on a diesel the gas truck will do just fine. Gas motors in heavy duty trucks are normally not tuned as "hot" add the half ton because they want to motor to last four many years under heavy loads. So don't the the fact that the power numbers are not much increased over your current truck put you off.

richf28
04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Ok....this is right from the horses mouth. I called Ford customer support this morning. I gave them the vin number of the truck I was interested in. Which is the F350. I was told...."Maximum fifth wheel towing capacity is 11, 800 lbs. And GCVW is 19, 000 lbs. ". I was told the only advantage I actually had over my ecoboost would be heavier braking, heavier frame and elsctronic locking rearend. Again I was told....I would need to go either a diesel, 4:30 gears or a dually. I cant justify the initail cost of a diesel for my driving habits, nor a dually. So its more logical to keep my ecoboost and find a fifth wheel I can tow with it. And that too was confirmed and suggested by the Ford technician. I guess I have to believe their words as much as liked the other truck.

Javi
04-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Okay... I give up :banghead:

440justin
04-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I was just about to say the same thing....I really don't get why you don't understand what we are saying. The Ford customer line is staffed by people who know less that a sales person.

richf28
04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
First off...im not trying to cause comotion here. I have made some bad purchases that cost be a lot in the last 3 years and have no intention of repeating them. Each explanation differs with who you talk to. The rv dealer has his version, the truck dealer has theirs and individuals have theirs. So far the only ones that seem to cooinside are the dealers and support staff. None of you have offered me any substantial proof of why you say what you do. That comes down to one mans opinion over another. Some of the people on here believe bigger is better. That you need a towder to haul a tent and others think you can haul the space shuttle with a volkswagon. I need facts and how you obtained these facts. I have also placed a call to the state police traffic division to help decifer the laws.

440justin
04-18-2014, 10:57 AM
First off...im not trying to cause comotion here. I have made some bad purchases that cost be a lot in the last 3 years and have no intention of repeating them. Each explanation differs with who you talk to. The rv dealer has his version, the truck dealer has theirs and individuals have theirs. So far the only ones that seem to cooinside are the dealers and support staff. None of you have offered me any substantial proof of why you say what you do. That comes down to one mans opinion over another. Some of the people on here believe bigger is better. That you need a towder to haul a tent and others think you can haul the space shuttle with a volkswagon. I need facts and how you obtained these facts. I have also placed a call to the state police traffic division to help decifer the laws.

Well opinions are kind of what you get when ask a question on a forum. I have tried answering your question using the facts that are very easily found on Ford's website and based on my own experience and education (Engineering Degree).

Post a picture of the door tag from your current F-150 Ecoboost, that should be all the substantial proof that you need to backup what everyone has been trying to tell you.

Compare the GVWR of both trucks
Compare the Front GAWR of both trucks
Compare the Rear GAWR of both trucks
Compare the payload capacity of both trucks
Compare the Rated capacity of the tires on both trucks

That is the story we are trying to tell you.

Do you have to go Diesel to get a bigger towing capacity....Yes, but that Diesel does not give you much greater capacity in respect to GVWR, GAWR, and payload.

denverpilot
04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Often the vehicle will pull heavier things than it should, just fine. Until something breaks. Or until the brakes can't get it stopped.

richf28
04-18-2014, 12:37 PM
This keeps confusing more and more. But here are the figures you asked.

Ecoboost F350
Front GAWR 3750 5600
Rear GAWR 4050 7000
GVWR 7650 11, 200
Payload 1960 3302

I see the difference but dont see the benefits, nor how ford and the dealers figure their response. What is my maximum fifth wheel tow capacity off thes numbers?

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Based on your numbers and based on 22% of the fifth wheel's GVWR will be on the kingpin, the heaviest 5er you could tow with the Eco-boost would be 8909lbs minus the weight of the hitch, passengers and anything else you carry in the truck. The heaviest 5er you could tow with the F350 would be 15009lbs less hitch weight, passengers and anything else carried in the truck. Understand though, that some of the larger 5ers will have a heavier pin weight (percentage wise) depending on where the kitchen is, where the tanks are, etc. You've gotten a lot of good, honest advice here. Hope you heed it as opposed to a sales staff at a dealership - just sayin'

HappyCamperMN
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Based on your numbers and based on 22% of the fifth wheel's GVWR will be on the kingpin, the heaviest 5er you could tow with the Eco-boost would be 8909lbs minus the weight of the hitch, passengers and anything else you carry in the truck. The heaviest 5er you could tow with the F350 would be 15009lbs less hitch weight, passengers and anything else carried in the truck. Understand though, that some of the larger 5ers will have a heavier pin weight (percentage wise) depending on where the kitchen is, where the tanks are, etc. You've gotten a lot of good, honest advice here. Hope you heed it as opposed to a sales staff at a dealership - just sayin'

I recently purchased a 2011 Ford F350.

GVWR = 11,000
GCWR = 19,000
Max Trailer Weight = 11,900 lbs

I agree with you 100% that the F350 can safely pull a heavier trailer (TT or 5er) based largely on payload capacity and not overloading the GVWR of the truck). I haven't weighed my F350 yet, but I'm pretty sure it weighs more than 4,000 lbs. For argument sake, the 350 weighs 6,000 lbs... 19,000 - 6,000 = 13,000. The maximum trailer that can be towed is 13,000 lbs in order to not exceed the GCWR. Of course this is basing everything off the GCWR and not paying attention to the published max trailer weight of 11,900 lbs.

Am I missing something?

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 01:48 PM
No, I based my reply simply on gvwr and 22% pin weight.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Our gcvwr is 23500, and I didn't realize the F350 gassed had the lower gcvwr - my bad and thanks for the catch.

PARAPTOR
04-18-2014, 02:00 PM
For your Eco-boost to achieve this tow of a 5th wheel Max weight of 8909 lbs, your TV can weigh no more than 5690 lbs. Any weight over that reduces that 1960 payload by that amount and thereby reduce the Max 5th wheel weight you can handle.

richf28
04-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok.....now im even more confused. Im trying to grasp all this but im not getting it.:confused:
I can tell you this...my ecoboost at the cat scales weighed in last summer at 6080 lbs. With me in it.

HappyCamperMN
04-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Ok.....now im even more confused. Im trying to grasp all this but im not getting it.:confused:
I can tell you this...my ecoboost at the cat scales weighed in last summer at 6080 lbs. With me in it.

Your ability to tow is a combination of several factors.

Primarily:
GVWR
GCWR
Max trailer weight

Sure, GAWR comes into play as well, but that is usually secondary to GVWR.

To safely tow, you cannot exceed GVWR, GCWR or Max trailer weight. Most 1/2 ton vehicles get in trouble with tongue / pin weight and going over their payload capacity (GVWR) long before they exceed GCWR or Max trailer weight. (I see several posts earlier in this thread that are only looking @ GVWR, this might be what is causing some of the confusion).

Looking back to your original post... You are correct, you don't gain that much in actual trailer weight capacity from the F150 to the F350.

BUT as stated by several individuals... the F150 can't actually get to max trailer weight (of 11,300 lbs) because you will be over GVWR long before that (around 8900 lbs). So in that sense, yes the F350 does get you additional towing capacity. Whether or not you can actually get to the max trailer weight on the 350 will depend on how heavy that truck actually is and what pin weight actually is.

Hope that helps unravel some of the confusion.

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Then your payload is 7650(gvwr) - 6080 (your scaled weight) = 1570. Minus any other passengers, hitch and gear

PARAPTOR
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I recently purchased a 2011 Ford F350.

GVWR = 11,000
GCWR = 19,000
Max Trailer Weight = 11,900 lbs

I agree with you 100% that the F350 can safely pull a heavier trailer (TT or 5er) based largely on payload capacity and not overloading the GVWR of the truck). I haven't weighed my F350 yet, but I'm pretty sure it weighs more than 4,000 lbs. For argument sake, the 350 weighs 6,000 lbs... 19,000 - 6,000 = 13,000. The maximum trailer that can be towed is 13,000 lbs in order to not exceed the GCWR. Of course this is basing everything off the GCWR and not paying attention to the published max trailer weight of 11,900 lbs.

Am I missing something?

Seems like numbers are low??

My 3500 GVWR 13025
GCWR 30,500
curb weight 7861 (dry Weight)
My guess on actual weight 8900 (gas, people, hitch)

Using your guess on your weight of 6K so 11K -6K/.22 = 22727 max 5th which can not happen according to your GCWR 0f 19K ???? (useing hitch weight 22% 0f 5th wheel) :confused: :confused:

my 2005 silverado was 9200, 22K ??

Numbers seem strange on the 2011

HappyCamperMN
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Seems like numbers are low??

My 3500 GVWR 13025
GCWR 30,500
Numbers seem strange on the 2011

My 350 is gas. Is your 3500 diesel?

GVWR of 11,000 is right off the sticker on the truck.
GCWR of 19,000 is straight out of the Ford 2011 towing guide.

GCWR for a 2011 F350 6.7L Diesel ranges from 23,500 (for 3.31 axle) up to 33,000 (for the 4.30 axle).

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 02:53 PM
To the OP, if it were me, I would either buy a 3/4 or 1 ton OF forget about a fifth wheel. Period.

mguay
04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
You are so confused that you are spinning everyone else!

Keep the 150 and go buy a DRV.....don't worry...it will pull it!

richf28
04-18-2014, 03:01 PM
I guess like I said earlier....everybody has their own answers to this. Im thinking its best to keep my ecoboost and a half ton towable fifth wheel. Cant believe the mess I caused. 6 pages in a couple days. I apologize, I never imagined it.

440justin
04-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I guess like I said earlier....everybody has their own answers to this. Im thinking its best to keep my ecoboost and a half ton towable fifth wheel. By the way....whats a DRV?

Every one is telling you the same thing about GVWR, GAWR, and tow rating!

Overloading your truck can end badly!

Dramatic RV Crash on I-17 near Sedona, Arizona: http://youtu.be/nvhW4siKV0w

An RV crash to remember: http://youtu.be/kwOqARlw1EI

richf28
04-18-2014, 03:17 PM
What do think im trying to prevent here. I want the right tow vehicle and I dont want to hear the crap about how half tons shouldnt tow fifth wheels. The rv engineers have made it posssible and people here have proved it possible. Bottom line to me is .....the mfg companies probably have the best answers. Sorry

Bob Landry
04-18-2014, 03:31 PM
The Ecoboost has been out foe a while and people seem to be pleased with them, but what I read is that they are used mostly to pull mid size trailers. I think the jury is still out on how they are going to hold up to long term heavy hauling. Bottom line is that it's still a 6 cylinder and the turbos are going to generate a lot of heat that the motor is going to have to deal with and a 11K lb trailer is going to put a lot of stress on that 6 banger. To me the choice of an F250 over the EB is a no brainer, but I'm partial to big V8s. When you are crossing Colorado on I70, there's no substitute for cubic inches.

Festus2
04-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Rich -
Please, there is no need to apologize. You haven't created any "mess". What seems to have happened is that you have been given conflicting advice from several different sources - dealers, manufacturer's websites and manuals, and forum members. Understandably, you have been left with a situation that is both confusing and frustrating and you are no further ahead with respect to the question you asked at the beginning of this thread - "Shall I Upgrade?"

As I see it, you have a few options to consider:

1) Stay with what you have: The Ford F150 Ecoboost and the TT.
2) Keep the Ford 150 Ecoboost and look at a "smaller" 5th wheel (something in the neighborhood of 25' - 28' with a dry weight around 7500-8500 lbs. Forget about the "1/2 Towable" spin.
3) Upgrade your truck to say a 3/4T gasser together with a somewhat larger 5th wheel around 28' - 32' with a dry weight around 10000 lbs or less.

There may be other options but this is enough food for thought at the moment. I realize that Dry Weight isn't that significant a number but I have included it as a rough guideline.

You never have given any reasons for going to a larger RV or 5th wheel. Is the TT you have too small for your needs? Do you not like pulling a TT? Or do you have "twofootitis"?

Another suggestion might be to step back and try to digest all the advice - conflicting or otherwise - before going any further or confusing yourself any more than need be. Sometimes, it's best to take a deep breath, take a break and come back to this later.

In the meantime, perhaps you could familiarize yourself with all the various terms and weights people are throwing at you so that you know what they are talking about. Some of these are more important than others and; at the end of the day, a trip to the weigh scale will tell you what you need to know. But until you have the tow vehicle and the RV that you want in tow, a trip to the scale with only the truck won't give you all the data you need to know.

So, turn your computer off, find one of your favorite adult beverages and relax. Or mow the lawn, shovel snow or go for a long walk or run. Good luck.

(A DRV is one of the high-end 5th wheels (Elite Suites, etc.) and their smallest 5th wheel has a dry weight of 13500 lbs and Pin weight of 2800 lbs. I don't think the poster was serious about his advice about towing one with a Ford 150 Ecoboost) )

richf28
04-18-2014, 03:42 PM
I have 40, 000 miles on my ecoboost. I have probably towed my camper to and from Florida from Pa 3 years now and darn near every weekend somewhere within 100 miles of home in the summer. I can honestly say its held up well and im happy with the performance. Not so much the mpg though. I just thinking I would better myself with a 3/4 or so vehicle and open up more options in a fifth wheel.

440justin
04-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Richf28,

I to have the EcoBoost truck and the power these trucks make is real. The low end power of the motor is huge! But the talk about the 6.2 vs. EcoBoost is not about the power of the truck it is about the capabilities of the axle, frame, tires, and breaks.

I feel like we start to convince you the larger truck is the way to go, but then you talk to a sales person and you back to keeping your current truck.

Add you can see there are many of us on this form who are passionate about RV safety. We just don't want to see you end up with a bad experience or worse on the side of the road with a problem.

Sorry if I have come off to harsh. I really do want to see you end up in the right truck and camper.

richf28
04-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Dont twist this. If you recall I was the originator of the post looking to upgrade. I am not backing the ecoboost but you have to admit there has been a lot of different opinions and answers. If I could find proof in facts I would be more secure. Until then I have no problem with what I now own. Like I said earlier on....I have been mislead by both an rv dealer and a truck dealer neither of which I will return to and it has cost me a great deal of financial difficulties and mechanical problems. I dont want to make the mistake again. Not saying any person here is right or wrong but there has been a lot of debate none the less.

Javi
04-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Dont twist this. If you recall I was the originator of the post looking to upgrade. I am not backing the ecoboost but you have to admit there has been a lot of different opinions and answers. If I could find proof in facts I would be more secure. Until then I have no problem with what I now own. Like I said earlier on....I have been mislead by both an rv dealer and a truck dealer neither of which I will return to and it has cost me a great deal of financial difficulties and mechanical problems. I dont want to make the mistake again. Not saying any person here is right or wrong but there has been a lot of debate none the less.

Like Festus said... chill

You ain't the first and you won't be the last that gets false information from a salesperson or dealer. It happens every day.

The sad thing is all the information you need to make an informed decision is available on the internet from sources such as Ford and Keystone if you only would read the fine print. Not to mention the many dealers and individuals who have many years of experience and college degrees in engineering to help you understand the pertinent numbers in forums like this and even YouTube videos. And yet you continue or ignore their advice in fear that they may have a reason to trick you into buying more truck than you need or less trailer than you need.

That's sad... and like I said... I give up.

denverpilot
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM

I'll just toss this out there: The answer is on the sticker next to your door on the truck frame. If you want "proof in facts", that's good. Ford printed them and stuck them right there on the frame, by law. The numbers on the sticker are the definitive answer.

I've got family who attempted to tow something too big for their TV. They got it out in a crosswind with an inexperienced driver at the wheel and they ended up upside down in a ditch with 40'+ of TV and trailer, 400 miles from the nearest trauma center.

Luckily, they walked away with bumps and bruises and one had a deep cut on a finger. Also luckily, their insurance didn't look at the sticker, and paid. The TV and trailer were a total loss.

It was their first trip loaded. They had towed the trailer two states from where they bought it, parked it. Loaded it. Totaled it 600 miles from home.

Could have easily been a whole lot worse.

I'll stick to reading the numbers on my TV, trailer, tires, etc, and staying within them.

(By the way, I did talk to them and tell them they had way too much TT behind their TV. They said the same old thing, "the RV dealer said it will pull it".

Truck Dealers, online forums, RV dealers, best fishing buddy, whoever... if they aren't doing the math from the door frame, they're not doing me any favors.

richf28
04-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Dont know how everyone got the impression that im trying to cheat the rules. Im trying to get the right tow vehicle beford I go investing in a fifth wheel and allowing me to open my options on them. Trust me....ive been through the mill in the last investments and trying to prevent it from happening again. Enough said!

PARAPTOR
04-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Dont know how everyone got the impression that im trying to cheat the rules. Im trying to get the right tow vehicle beford I go investing in a fifth wheel and allowing me to open my options on them. Trust me....ive been through the mill in the last investments and trying to prevent it from happening again. Enough said!

Right ON !!! "Been There Did That" myself, take your time and learn as much as you can so you can feel comfortable with your final decision. Lot of BS out there :eek: Many threads on the forum describing how to do weight calculations, not options!!

Weather finally breaking in our area :D

Happy Camping