PDA

View Full Version : Husky vs Equalizer Hitch

bunnydz
04-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Hi there,

My husband and I are completely new to the RV world and we have just purchased our first TT. We got the 2014 Hideout 27DBS and are picking it up from the dealer next month. We're so excited!!!!! Since we're newbies, I thought I'd pose a question here hoping to get some feedback from professionals :) Our dealer is installing a Husky weight distribution hitch on it, with sway control on one side. Our TT is almost 32 ft - will that suffice? Our friends got a same size TT as well, and they're replacing their hitch from the dealer with the Equalizer brand, with dual sway control, saying it's much better and that it's the best hitch on the market. Is that true? Would you recommend dual sway control for our trailer, and if so, should we get the Equalizer? Many thanks in advance for any input you could provide!!!!!!

chartrand
04-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I think you would be much happier with the Equalizer 4 point hitch over the Husky hitch, especially on a trailer that large. The Reese Dual Cam or the Equalizer seem to be to better hitch choices out there.

-Pat

hankaye
04-10-2014, 06:12 PM
bunnydz, Howdy;

I had an equl-i-zer whit my previous TT. Experienced a blow-out of on of the
TT tires on I-70 about 15 miles East of Effingham, Il. Trailer stayed right
where it was supposed to while I got he whole rig onto what little shoulder
they are gracious enough to give us there. Has my vote for the next time I buy
a tow behind.

hankaye

PS. Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

f6bits
04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
I love my Equalizer. It's quite easy to set up, maintain, and hitch. And it does a great job.

The Reese Dual-Cam also looks to be very good, maybe even better than the Equalizer.

The "Best" hitch is the Propride/Hensley Arrow design. But it's way more than double the money.

vantage32fls
04-10-2014, 06:57 PM
we have a husky 1200# WDH and dual friction sway control have never had a blowout, but when semi's pass on two way roads never had a problem with any sway. ours is 35' 10" long but has a GVW of 8,200# yes we only paid $550 for the total package it works great for us.

theeyres
04-10-2014, 09:22 PM
We had an Equal-i-zer on our past two trailers and loved it. I would definitely spring for the extra $$ and buy it.

BobbyB
04-11-2014, 01:36 AM
We have the exact same TT and use the E2 WDH with integrated sway control. Does an excellent job and was surprised how well the sway control works. It's also nice not to have to disconnect anything when backing into a campsite :).
BTW, you will love the TT.

bunnydz
04-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Wow, thank you everyone for the information!!! This forum is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laredo291OH
04-11-2014, 03:08 AM
We use the Reese Dual cam and it works very well, have never disconnected to back into a camping spot. In fact, turned tight enough to bend the bumper on my truck and the Dual Cam was still connected just fine. :) I can't speak from experience because I have never used an Equalizer, but from all of my research the Reese Dual Cam is supposed to be a little better because it doesn't use friction like the Equalizer. You will find all of kinds of reviews that say both are equal or one better than the other.

zuley
04-11-2014, 08:34 AM
We have the Husky Centreline. I have no experience with any other make. The Husky works well for us. No sway whatsoever. My only complaint is the trailer needs to be pretty well straight to the truck to disconnect. Don't know if that is the case with others.

dankent
04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
same as zuley ... :) same hitch and experiences, when i had the TT.

The centerline uses different technology to achieve its results i believe however the centerline acts more in a proactive state vs a reactive state that the equalizer uses. I cant say i have ever used a equalizer but i did you use the Husky centerline. Its a beefy heavy unit, I would buy it again if i ever needed to go back to a TT.

One drawback that i found in tight sites that you had to be almost perfectly straight when hitching or unhitching .. or one side would be almost impossible to take the bars off.

Dan