PDA

View Full Version : black tank sensor

EChambers
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
A repairman recommended that I travel tomorrow with some bleach and water in the black tank to clean the sensor that always shows as 2/3 full.
Your thoughts?

Javi
04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Just about every time I head home I fill the black tank 1/3 full (approximately) and pour in a few capfuls of dish detergent for the ride home.. You'd be realllllllly surprised at what comes out when I flush the tank back home.. :D

Festus2
04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
EChambers -
Personally, I wouldn't use bleach. Instead, I'd recommend using Calgon - a water softener product that makes the sides of your tank "slippery" which helps prevent the buildup of solids on the sides and bottom. It also cleans the tank and coupled with a bit of detergent, is an effective way of cleaning your tank.

bsmith0404
04-12-2014, 02:54 AM
The first concern I have if you are always reading 2/3 full is do you use RV toilet paper? You may have some TP hung up on the sensors that is not dissolving. You may have to use something a little harsher such as bleach to get it clean to start with, but then I would do as the others have suggested. You would be surprised what a little splashing around while going down the road will bring out, even after using the black tank flush.

therink
04-12-2014, 04:15 AM
Just about every time I head home I fill the black tank 1/3 full (approximately) and pour in a few capfuls of dish detergent for the ride home.. You'd be realllllllly surprised at what comes out when I flush the tank back home.. :D

X2 on above. Black tanks always need water (lots of it) and a good flushing at every dump. I always add about 5 gallons after dumping for the ride home. When I get home, I dump into a pail and dispose in toilet in house. I then add another 5 or so gallons to the tank to keep tank wet until next trip.
I have learned to not even use the black tank gauge as I can usually go 7 days with a family of 4 before need to dump.

hankaye
04-12-2014, 07:23 AM
EChambers, Howdy;

You may consider depositing a few (2 or 3), bags of ice into the tank just prior
to getting underway. Has an amazing scrubbing action and combined with the
dish soap, and some type of water softening solution (I use Downey), and you
should have a tank you'd be proud to show off... :D, :rolleyes:

hankaye

meyerske
04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
How much Calgon should be used?

Javi
04-12-2014, 10:13 AM
How much Calgon should be used?

1/2 cup or so...