PDA

View Full Version : Whisper Disc????

Hoojs12840
04-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Anyone heard or used this? It is suppose to eliminate the clunking that some 5th wheels have starting and stopping. Seems like a reasonable price and easy install.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=106315

Jason

Wing-in-it
04-06-2014, 06:22 AM
I have one, I wouldn't say it removes "all" the clunking....but I like it...No greasy 5th wheel any more or pin for that matter.

Mark

JRTJH
04-06-2014, 07:04 AM
If you've ever looked at the tow plate on an 18 wheeler, you'll see a thick layer of dirty grease. That grease lubricates the hitch plate and the fifth wheel pin plate so they slide rather than wear. The purpose of the silicone/Teflon disc is to replace that grease so the two metal surfaces don't grind together but rather slide together when towing. It is a much neater way to lubricate the hitch plate.

The disc serves no purpose in side to side or fore/aft "clunking" within the jaws or the slide bar of the hitch/pin attachment points. While it does "lift" the hitch pin about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and that might put a bit more pressure on the jaws or slide bar so it doesn't clunk as much, the disc isn't designed to stop clunking or to lubricate the "internals" of the hitch. You still need to grease that part of the hitch mechanism and keep them in good repair. On some hitches there is an adjustment procedure to tighten the jaws to help reduce clunking.

The disc only serves to replace the grease layer on the fifth wheel hitch plate.

Festus2
04-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Jason -
The claim that this disc will "stop jerking and noise" is, just like the premature report of Mark Twain's death, "greatly exaggerated". :rolleyes: I'd ignore the claim and buy a non-whispering one for half the price. :D

Hoojs12840
04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
I have the standard Teflon disc. This one is suppose to not only serve a typical discs purpose, but eliminate the clunking. It specifically lays out what causes/allows the clunking and claims to eliminate it and has a lifetime warranty against wearing out or breaking.

I was just curious if anyone had tried one and what the results where.

For $30.00 what could be the harm in trying it out. I can always get my money back.

Jason

bsmith0404
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Let us know how it works out. I have two of the Teflon discs (bought one with the hitch and got another, still in the packaging, free with the RV). It'll be a while before I need to spend money, even just $30, on a new disc. I have a Trailair hitch, that was the best purchase I ever made for a smooth ride.

ColoChuck
04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Yep, I'd deffinitely be interested in how well it works compared to standard Lube Plates with their "inconsistant lubricity". Seems the Whisper Disk is from 3 to 6 times the price of standard.

Their description did make me laugh though.

Never used one, maybe it does work. Let us know.

jsmith948
04-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Jason,
If I haven't mis-read the posts on this thread, there may be a mis-understanding. The problem you are referring to is a 'clunking' sound whenever you first take off and again when you stop. You said you thought that there was some movement of the kingpin withing the jaws of your hitch. Some of those posting answers have recommended pin boxes that incorporate rubber or air bags in order to eliminate the "chucking" (NOT the same as clunking). They are correct if chucking is what you are feeling. However, if what you are hearing/feeling is a clunking caused by the movement between your kingpin and the hitch jaws, then I would advise you to have your hitch checked. There shouldn't be any movement there. At least not so much you would hear/feel it. Many, many miles over the road in a semi and never had that issue. On our Reese hitch, there is no slack in the jaws. JMHO:)

Hoojs12840
04-18-2014, 03:14 PM
There isn't any movement with the jaws or king pin. The movement is with the 4 pins that hold the hitch to the bed rails. From all the research I found online this normal and adjusting brakes can help, which I did and it has helped some. I was just curious how a discs like this could stop that kind of movement. Oddly enough I haven't gotten to much chucking with the standard setup I have, at least not enlighten to get me to look at swapping anything.