PDA

View Full Version : New/Replacement Oven - 2011 Montana High Country

Jim Dow
04-05-2014, 02:56 PM
We would really like to replace the stove (oven in particular) in our 2011 Montana High Country (5th Wheel).

Would anyone recommend a place to start looking?

WaltBennett
04-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Just about any RV parts place will have them, but why are you wanting to replace it? They're pretty much all the same and none work very well if that's the problem. Many people use a combo microwave/convection oven instead.

Jim Dow
04-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm not talking about replacing one camper stove/oven with another camper stove/oven.

We want to replace the camper stove/oven with a real stove/oven.

Festus2
04-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Do you want a real stove that uses propane? For an electric stove, you'd need 220V..

Bob Landry
04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
It would also require some serious cabinet work. The RV stoves take a 20.25" cutout. Residential stoves are made to slide into a 30" opening.

bobbecky
04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
There are 24 inch stoves/ranges available that use gas, so could be set up for propane, but not sure about how deep those units are. Most residential kitchen units are designed for use in kitchens with 24 inch deep cabinets, so, in addition to width issues, you also have to consider how far these would stick out past the front of the cabinets.

CUFFS054
04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
And more fuel for my rant about TT stoves. Is the market so saturated with Attwood/Wedgewood that no one will even try to sell something else? I don't mind cooking on the range top but my oven which is the "big" one is awful.

Bob Landry
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
There are 24 inch stoves/ranges available that use gas, so could be set up for propane, but not sure about how deep those units are. Most residential kitchen units are designed for use in kitchens with 24 inch deep cabinets, so, in addition to width issues, you also have to consider how far these would stick out past the front of the cabinets.

There may be some 30" stoves, I've never seen one, only 30", but 24" still leaves some serious cabinet modification since the existing slot is 20".

CUFFS054
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I did some looking around. There are both 24 and 20 inch REAL stoves available. Im going to do some measuring when I can get to TT.

CUFFS054
04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
But wait, my hopes have been dashed! I forgot about the furnace being under the range. Bummer.

outwest
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
And more fuel for my rant about TT stoves. Is the market so saturated with Attwood/Wedgewood that no one will even try to sell something else? I don't mind cooking on the range top but my oven which is the "big" one is awful.
What with the size limitations in the cabinetry (in regards to the oven), you might be happier changing out the microwave for a convection microwave. Just an idea.

Jim Dow
04-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Can anyone name/identify the brand/model of a REAL 20.25" stove/oven for a TT???

We would really like to know that. I'll solve the propane fuel problem.

WaltBennett
04-08-2014, 02:32 AM
The problem is that no one else makes a combo unit as small as the one you have (outside dimensions), and trailer/RV manufacturers plan and build for only that. I guess with the thinking that consumers would only be using them once or twice a year. If you take a look at the high end A and 5th wheels, you'll see they put in residential cook top ranges and a good convection microwave, leaving the oven space for a drawer-type dishwasher.

I recall reading in one of the RV Consumer Group's publications where they asked an Atwood rep why they didn't make a useful oven and the response was that there just wasn't any demand for one. That may have been a few years ago and I'm also positive it was industry and not consumer demand he was talking about, but they haven't changed still.

We've a lower end convection microwave that's more functional than our oven now and are thinking about putting in a better one. That's what you should be looking into, IMHO.

Bob Landry
04-08-2014, 05:58 AM
I did some looking around. There are both 24 and 20 inch REAL stoves available. Im going to do some measuring when I can get to TT.

Would you post a link to th 20" stoves you found. I may be interested in one of those. I'm not happy with the oven in my stove either and am considering going to a convection microwave because of it. All that is stopping me is that I have to extend the shelf the current MW is on and while I can do the cabinet work, I'm swamped with projects already.

Edit: I found them on the Internet. Hope DW doesn't see this. LOL

Javi
04-08-2014, 09:11 AM
How come y'all want to swap it out... It don't cook good enough or it's too little???

Have any of y'all tried a pizza stone in the bottom while cooking, I've used one for years and the biscuits come out just fine...

CUFFS054
04-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Outwest, that will probably be what happens. I am somewhat vertically challanged (no problem horizonticaly however!) I do have the room for a convec/mw and will be looking at this option.