PDA

View Full Version : Smart tiles on a backsplash

SandMShall
04-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Looking to do my first upgrade to our new Premier 22rbpr. I'm going to be adding Smart tiles to the back splashes in the kitchen, bathroom and outdoor kitchen areas.

I'd like to remove the decorative wallpaper border that is above the kitchen counter since I'd need to cut down the tiles by 2 or 3 rows to have it flush to the bottom of the border or add more to cover the border completely.

If it's not a big hassle to remove it, I'd like to go that route. But If it's a pain, I'll just leave it as is.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jrmac22
04-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Mine pulled right off with no effort at all. It's more like a sticker than wallpaper. I did the smart tiles last year, and they still look great, I've have no problem with them peeling off the wall as some have mentioned. Just clean the walls really good before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/06/3uqy4a6u.jpg

Suzbee
04-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Just finished removing ALL the flower 7" border in our trailer & added the smart tiles behind the stove & sink. It looks wonderful! The border removes easily by using a blow dryer as you pull the border off. I just heated the under side as I pulled it. Had the entire trailer done in an hour. I used goof off or goo gone to remove any remaining residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregrc75
04-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I used a hairdryer as well and it came off easily. I then cleaned the wall with some TSP mixed with water. Once it dried I just stuck the tiles on!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_120576_0_b131d078ae09c0d819ba06ef516bf070.jpg

Mark TC
04-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Looks good

canesfan
04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
I used a hairdryer as well and it came off easily. I then cleaned the wall with some TSP mixed with water. Once it dried I just stuck the tiles on!

In your pic above ^ did the spice rack come with it or did you add that? I'm lacking a spice rack and a knife block and I miss them both.

gregrc75
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
In your pic above ^ did the spice rack come with it or did you add that? I'm lacking a spice rack and a knife block and I miss them both.

The spice rack came with the camper. It is also a valance and the blinds can be pulled up behind it.

BC Canada
04-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Looks great :)

Where did you get these smart tiles? Are they just peel and stick on?

SandMShall
04-08-2014, 12:56 PM
An hour and a half worth of work and this is what we got! Next is the bathroom and outdoor kitchen!!!

Kristi
04-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Looks like you all did a great job! How hard was it to cut around the curved window edges?

ThePressureIsOn
04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Very nice job...I hope that the DW doesn't see this, it would cost me a fortune! We need about 8 feet in our 248RKS. Oh well, I may as well get the credit card warmed up!

SandMShall
04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Looks like you all did a great job! How hard was it to cut around the curved window edges?

It was actually quite easy. When I got to spot where I needed to make cuts, I used one of the previous backing papers, laid it up to the wall and ran my thumb along the edges of the window or edge trim. Once I had that done I placed to tile sheet back on the paper and trimmed it off. Luckily I didn't mess up a single sheet.

Charby
04-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Mine pulled right off with no effort at all. It's more like a sticker than wallpaper. I did the smart tiles last year, and they still look great, I've have no problem with them peeling off the wall as some have mentioned. Just clean the walls really good before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/06/3uqy4a6u.jpg

Nice job, and upgrade!
How many tiles did it take?
I see they sell them in six packs, and looks to be a 2 beer job.

Jrmac22
04-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Mine took 2 and a half packs. They are 10 x 10 squares and come 6 in a pack or you can buy individual sheets. I bought them at Home Depot online. About $100 total.

Charby
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Mine took 2 and a half packs. They are 10 x 10 squares and come 6 in a pack or you can buy individual sheets. I bought them at Home Depot online. About $100 total.

Great, info, and thanks again for sharing a nice mod.

Stupid me :banghead: I showed the DW the pictures.
Guess what we are looking at during the weekend???

canesfan
04-11-2014, 09:07 AM
It was actually quite easy. When I got to spot where I needed to make cuts, I used one of the previous backing papers, laid it up to the wall and ran my thumb along the edges of the window or edge trim. Once I had that done I placed to tile sheet back on the paper and trimmed it off. Luckily I didn't mess up a single sheet.

What did you use to cut them around the window? Mine has tiles behind the stove only and I'm thinking of finishing them out next to the stove and over to the door.

Jrmac22
04-11-2014, 09:15 AM
The tiles cut with scissors. They are very thin gel tiles, but look like glass.

canesfan
04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Awesome! (tx)

SandMShall
04-12-2014, 05:36 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/3ahu6ary.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/4y9y5y2e.jpgFinished the bsthroom and outdoor kitchen area today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Charli
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
After reading all the posts on the smart tiles we picked up some today for a backsplash behind the stove. First thing we noticed is the instructions say not to mount closer than 15" to gas flame. So now concerned that this might be a fire hazard. Any experience with this. Do the tiles get real hot when cooking

trucker LOU
06-29-2014, 06:30 PM
all I was worried about was the side of range area as the range cover protects the rear area. I used clear lexan plastic from HD, did not even have to cut. 2 small brass screws and clear caulk and fully protected :-)

camper 2010
06-30-2014, 07:38 AM
What type of glue and grout did you use to absorb the vibrations of travel?

Charli
07-01-2014, 04:29 AM
What type of glue and grout did you use to absorb the vibrations of travel?

The smart tiles are peel and stick, no grout and glue is already on the backside of the sheets. I'm about to start this mod based on all the positive comments here. I may run a bead of clear silicone caulk along the edges just to prevent the possibility of the edges peeling. Should also help with cleanup as no moisture will be able to get behind the tiles.

STLCG
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Looks absolutely amazing!! Smart tiles are now on the list of winter projects!! Thanks!

Camping Gator
08-03-2014, 04:14 PM
The Smart Tiles look great in your pictures, but when I checked on installation, the company says not to install them less than 15 inches in height behind or along side gas stoves, unless you have another form of protector over top.

Charli
08-04-2014, 04:47 AM
We just installed ours so no practical experience yet but lots on this site have used them for a few years with no problems. I haven't decided yet but I may install hinges on our coriander stove top and when stove is in use I would flip the stove top up against the back wall to use as a shield.
We never leave the stove unattended when cooking and will have to keep an eye on how hot the tiles are with the stove in use. At the end of the day they are made of plastic so heat is not a friend but I have to think that the tiles are no more of a fire hazzard than the wall board that we covered up. After all that is just paper, sawdust and glue.

Bulletproof
08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Nice improvement!