PDA

View Full Version : Floor linoleum question

New Kid on the Block
04-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Hi Folks,Here to peak your brains again.
I found a crack on the linoleum floor (2008 passport 245rb) from the front of the
oven to the rear door with a small branch to the bathroom.It was not there 3 weeks ago when I checked the trailer.
Is it weather related? How it can be fixed,without going to a dealer?
The trailer was covered so I exclude any water Leaks.
Thank very much for your input
Bill

Festus2
04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Bill -
A small number of members have reported similar issues - cracks in the lino flooring. If I remember correctly, some discovered these cracks when they went into their units in the winter to check up on things which would lead one to believe that it is somehow weather related. However, it could also be tied in with the composition of the lino, the installation, or ??? So, you are not the first to have this problem - not that this makes it any easier for you.

I can't recall who those members were and what steps they took to solve the problem. Perhaps doing a forum search ("cracked lino" /cracks in linoleum ) will help you get some ideas.

Let us know how you make out with the search.

bsmith0404
04-05-2014, 03:23 AM
I had the same thing happen and yes I believe it is weather related. The flooring in campers is not glued down, only stapled along the edges. I believe this allows it to flex in the middle and leads to cracking. When I pulled mine out it was very brittle, broke it out in pieces. I installed TrafficMASTER Allure vinyl flooring from Home Depot in mine. Very easy to install, only need a tape measure, utility knife, and a framing square. Took about 6 hours total including removal of old floor. Here's a couple pics.

New Kid on the Block
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I had the same thing happen and yes I believe it is weather related. The flooring in campers is not glued down, only stapled along the edges. I believe this allows it to flex in the middle and leads to cracking. When I pulled mine out it was very brittle, broke it out in pieces. I installed TrafficMASTER Allure vinyl flooring from Home Depot in mine. Very easy to install, only need a tape measure, utility knife, and a framing square. Took about 6 hours total including removal of old floor. Here's a couple pics.

Thank you.
I will take trip to Home Depot tomorrow to take a look as what they got.If the
Lino is not glued then it makes things much easier.Hopefully mine is also stapled
I do not know if I have to sand the floor.
Bill(tx)

New Kid on the Block
04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Bill -
A small number of members have reported similar issues - cracks in the lino flooring. If I remember correctly, some discovered these cracks when they went into their units in the winter to check up on things which would lead one to believe that it is somehow weather related. However, it could also be tied in with the composition of the lino, the installation, or ??? So, you are not the first to have this problem - not that this makes it any easier for you.

I can't recall who those members were and what steps they took to solve the problem. Perhaps doing a forum search ("cracked lino" /cracks in linoleum ) will help you get some ideas.

Let us know how you make out with the search.

You are absolutely right (as usual )
I looked and it seems the problem is weather related. As bsmith0404 suggested I will go to home depot to see what they have for flooring.
Hopefully I will find something to replace the linoleum.I hope that the toilet
bowl will come out without major problems.I will keep you posted regarging
cost and labor time.
Thanks Again,Bill

bsmith0404
04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
The toilets come up real easy, just unbolt and pull it up. FYI, if you have a small jig saw and drill it makes it real easy to cut pieces out in the middle of the floor tile for spots like heat vents. Also, if you look close at my pics you can see the 1/4 round trim pieces along the edge. That gives a nice finished look without having to have a perfect cut along the wall.

ksbowman
04-05-2014, 03:05 PM
When you cut the holes for the floor vents radius the corners the size of a nickel and it will help prevent a tear out there again. That is exactly where my tears started. This was the first time I've had cold weather cause this and my unit is a 2004 Outback Sydney 5 th wheel.

HappyCamperMN
04-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Does anyone know if Keystone has started using the newer "rip proof" linoleum? We were previous looking @ Forest River products and they are advertising a linoleum product that has been engineered to prevent cold weather related rips. I don't recall the name the used for it.

Anson9110
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I just went to check on my trailer (still surrounded by 3ft of snow!) and was surprised to see the linoleum cracked as well... I thought maybe some water was caught underneath and had frozen or something. Going to replace in the spring with some tiles.

New Kid on the Block
04-06-2014, 03:31 PM
The toilets come up real easy, just unbolt and pull it up. FYI, if you have a small jig saw and drill it makes it real easy to cut pieces out in the middle of the floor tile for spots like heat vents. Also, if you look close at my pics you can see the 1/4 round trim pieces along the edge. That gives a nice finished look without having to have a perfect cut along the wall.

Thank you bsmith0404
Following your advice went to Home Depot but they were out of hi traffic lino
flooring material I will try them again next week>Took a quick look on the toilet
bowl and it seems as you said easy enough.Looks like I will be busy the following
weeks.
Thanks again,Bill

bsmith0404
04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I just went to check on my trailer (still surrounded by 3ft of snow!) and was surprised to see the linoleum cracked as well... I thought maybe some water was caught underneath and had frozen or something. Going to replace in the spring with some tiles.

Water was my first thought on mine as well. Once I pulled everything up there wasn't a single sign of water anywhere, the subfloor looked new.