PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Carry Permits - Reciprocal States

Jim Dow
04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Several states honor pistol carry permits issued by Alabama - reciprocal agreements. See attached image.

scayne62
04-04-2014, 06:08 AM
There is also a great app for the iphone and android called conceal carry (CCW) you put in what licenses you have and it shows you what states you are legal to carry in, I think it was a $1 but priceless not to get caught "out of bounds"

hoffbrew
04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
That is a great app and is updated frequently

SAABDOCTOR
04-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I live in the un constitution state of CT. we have no resoprcity with anyone and new york and Mass. suround me so i can't even get one out of the state! the more i think about it the madder i get and want to go on a political rant but this ain't the place. Just don't bring a gun here!:banghead:

Festus2
04-04-2014, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=SAABDOCTOR;120362]I live in the un constitution state of CT. we have no resoprcity with anyone and new york and Mass. suround me so i can't even get one out of the state! the more i think about it the madder i get and want to go on a political rant but this ain't the place. QUOTE]

Barney -

You are absolutely right. "This ain't the place." Thank you.

hoffbrew
04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
I have my CA, AZ and FL permits, have had them for 15+ years. At one time this covered me carrying in all states but as of today, not anymore. I have them so when I travel I would be legal. RV travel, vacation travel and work travel. My brother works for the DOJ.... we talk and drink too much!! LOL

Ken / Claudia
04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
This right is everywhere in US, and went thru the courts Years ago. Remember your home is your castle, if your allowed to own a firearm you are allowed to have firearms at your home. If your allowed to have firearms in your home the courts ruled that LIVING Quarters of a RV is also your home. Remember the tow vehicle is not included. The glove box in a motorhome is not included. ONLY LIVING QUARTERS. That means bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, where one would live. You may travel with your firearm. The law does not cover any other areas as carrying it outside of the living quarters. I was taught that in basic police school in 1981? or about. When carrying or having a firearm anywhere else is up to the states mostly. Oregon does not accept any other states CCW permits. Cops, MPs etc. are exempt for most carry laws in Oregon.

Bob Landry
04-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Texas is pretty generous with their carry laws. Under the Castle Doctrine you are allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle, even if you do not have a carry permit. It must remain concealed and it has to stay in the vehicle. The part I don't understand if if I am stopped and asked for identification, because I have a carry permit, I'm required by law to disclose that I'm carrying and he has the right to disarm me for the duration of the stop if he wants to. Then by law, when he releases me, he must give me my weapon back.
If you do not have a carry permit and you are stopped, you are under no requirement to disclose that you have a firearm in the vehicle. I still can't figure out why someone with CHL training and a permit has to disclose, but anyone else does not. I guess that legislators, even ours, are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Just for information purposes, Texas has over 500,000 CLH holders and the percent of crimes committed by CHL holders is in the tenths of one percent.
If anyone ever wanted to create a map showing where all of the permit holders were, like they tried to do in NY, they might as well just paint Texas red on the map.. LOL

gearhead
04-04-2014, 06:16 PM
A well armed society is a polite society....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Festus2
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
A well armed society is a polite society....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

gearhead -

I hope that your comment does not initiate the start of a debate on guns here on the forum.
Let's stick to the OP's topic so that this thread does not become a political discussion about the pros and cons of guns and gun ownership.

Thank you.

gearhead
04-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Will do. I appreciate the feedback.

Western Traveler
04-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Keeping on topic, Montana CCP good in 40 states. However approximately 98% of the state is no permit needed. Regulated in cities and towns. No firearms allowed permit or not in bars, banks, Federal buildings, schools and on trains.
Concealed carry is defined as covered or partially covered by an article of clothing. It was ruled by the courts that purses, fanny packs and backpacks are "luggage" so no permit required.
I believe Utah is another state that has a permit accepted in 40 states.
Well after purchasing that CCW app now I might be at 35 states rather than 40.

Ken / Claudia
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
You guys be careful with the CCW laws in your state when carrying in other states. They are complex and I have seen afew besides Oregon. Many will limit CCW by reasons such as Where, When, Why. Read thru the actual law of the state(s) and even than they can change from year to year.

Bob Landry
04-05-2014, 03:38 AM
You guys be careful with the CCW laws in your state when carrying in other states. They are complex and I have seen afew besides Oregon. Many will limit CCW by reasons such as Where, When, Why. Read thru the actual law of the state(s) and even than they can change from year to year.

Agree. Even thought the permit is accepted, the laws can vary greatly from state to state.

rjsurfer
04-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Just curious, can I legally keep a shotgun in the fifth wheel in every state of the union?

And does loaded or unloaded make a difference?

Thanks

Ron W.

Bob Landry
04-05-2014, 05:27 AM
That's a good question and you should check the laws of the state you are in or going to travel in. Some's states have restrictions on handguns only and some's restrictions apply to all types of firearms. For something like this that can potentially put you in a lot of legal trouble(and expense), I would not depend on what I read on any Internet forum.

One thing that has not been mentioned here.. There are organizations all over the country that provide legal insurance in the event you are involved in a shooting. Most will cover you in any state that your state has reciprocity with.They provide legal counsel and cover all of the legal bills from Grand Jury though trial. It's cheap, I've seen it as low as $100 a year. It is only in effect if if was a legal and justified shoot, and God forbid you ever have to shoot another person, so that makes it even more important to know and understand the laws in the state you are in. I don't think, "But your honor, that's not what I read on the Internet" is going to be a very effective defense. You also need to be knowledgeable of the laws in each state traveled regarding interfacing with an LEO. Some states require you to disclose carrying, some don't and they take it very seriously.

JRTJH
04-05-2014, 05:55 AM
That's a good question and you should check the laws of the state you are in or going to travel in. Some's states have restrictions on handguns only and some's restrictions apply to all types of firearms. For something like this that can potentially put you in a lot of legal trouble(and expense), I would not depend on what I read on any Internet forum.

One thing that has not been mentioned here.. There are organizations all over the country that provide legal insurance in the event you are involved in a shooting. Most will cover you in any state that your state has reciprocity with.They provide legal counsel and cover all of the legal bills from Grand Jury though trial. It's cheap, I've seen it as low as $100 a year. It is only in effect if if was a legal and justified shoot, and God forbid you ever have to shoot another person, so that makes it even more important to know and understand the laws in the state you are in. I don't think, "But your honor, that's not what I read on the Internet" is going to be a very effective defense. You also need to be knowledgeable of the laws in each state traveled regarding interfacing with an LEO. Some states require you to disclose carrying, some don't and they take it very seriously.

Very well stated. There is so much missing, incomplete and sometimes simply wrong information on the internet that you really need to verify your source information and make sure it's correct.

As for disclosing to an LEO, there was a recent case in Michigan where a CPL carrier was stopped, when the officer approached the vehicle, the carrier talked to the officer for a "stated 40 seconds" before the officer asked for the driver's license. The CPL carrier handed him his license and CPL card and as he was handing them to the officer he also said, "I have a concealed weapon". He was arrested and it was determined in the trial, that he failed to "immediately disclose" that he was armed. All of this was recorded on the dash cam in the trooper's car and presented as evidence.

So, in some states, it's a very serious offense to not immediately say something as soon as the officer walks up to the window. Make sure you are aware of the laws in the state you're in at the time.

Bob Landry
04-05-2014, 08:08 AM
I have not been stopped out of state, but my policy is and is going to be that I hand him my DL, my CHL, and tell him immediately if I'm carrying. That puts everything on the table and everyone is at more at ease. I would assume that in most states, the cop has the discretion to disarm you during the stop, but by law he has to return your weapon unless you are being detained or arrested.
You always run a 50/50 chance of getting a cop with an attitude, but if you do, the time to go after him is in court with a hungry lawyer, not on the side of the road where you're dealing with a guy who looks at everyone as a criminal.

VTLee
04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
I live in the un constitution state of CT. we have no resoprcity with anyone and new york and Mass. suround me so i can't even get one out of the state! the more i think about it the madder i get and want to go on a political rant but this ain't the place. Just don't bring a gun here!:banghead:

If you are "legal" in Conn. you can get out under federal law:
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Ken / Claudia
04-05-2014, 09:33 AM
My post about RVs being your home(castle) is alittle off topic but, many do not think about. Because it is a place where you live you have all the same rights in it as to personal protection from illegal searchs/seizures and what you do or have in it. So, with the 2nd and 4th amemdents of the US laws if you are allowed to own a gun it can be kept in a stick buildt home or RV they are considered both your home. Look up the castle doctrine and fed search/seizures rules. There can be locations such as a miltary base that says you cannot bring any guns onto the place. Having a gun and what you do with it are compelety different laws, again taking it out of the RV in some locations could be a crime, pointing it out of the RV could be a crime, etc. As to loaded or unloaded, yes it can make a difference. As to this topic I do not beleive it would make any difference.

Western Traveler
04-05-2014, 10:19 PM
As a law abiding citizen with proper CCW Permit (and anyone else).
If being pulled over immediately turn your radio off, roll your window down and do NOT bend down! As the officer(s) approach your vehicle have both your hands on the steering wheel and KEEP them there (it is typical for a two man unit to have the officer on the passenger side approach in the dark) you do not want your movements to be misconstrued. Immediately tell the officer at the window when he approaches that you are licensed to carry, where it is located and wait for their directions. Everyone involved will be happier for it and nobody will get shot reaching for their wallet. Most veteran LE understand your concerns when traveling.
That said most of my experiences are geographically on the left side of the country.

JRTJH
04-06-2014, 06:35 AM
In Michigan, a part of the requirement for a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is to have a specific number of classroom and range training hours. The classroom component also includes a couple of hours with an attorney to discuss the legal aspects of a CPL.

The advice just given by Western Traveler is the same advice given by attorneys in all the CPL classes I've attended.

Essentially, in most situations, a LEO approaches a vehicle stop with an "UNKNOWN" behind the wheel. In Michigan, when he "runs your license plate number, the databank tells him that the owner of that vehicle has a CPL. So when he walks up to your window he already knows your license status but not your armed status. Once you inform him that you're carrying or not, it removes the "unknown component" and depending on the circumstances, lets him know that you've been screened not to be a felon, have no past record with law enforcement (criminal history) and that you're "considered by the licensing board" to be "one of the good guys".

While that won't automatically give him reason to no longer be concerned, at least all the information about any firearms in the car is "on the table" so to speak and he can conduct his reason for the stop with more knowledge of the situation.

These days, any LEO has reason to be concerned and even "jittery" about what he might face when he walks up to your truck. Respect that he probably has a family and would like to have supper with them that evening, Walking up to your vehicle is an "unknown" that might change whether he goes home to his family or to the morgue. Who could find fault with his caution and concern.

Bob Landry
04-06-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't think anyone has a problem with a cop exercising caution on a stop, and he probably has every right to expect the worse unless proven otherwise. I think the problem most people have is the way some of them do it. What I do have a problem with is that once it's determined that I am not threat, I would like to be treated with the same civility and respect that he doesn't expect, but demands. The fact that a guy is having a bad day or had a fight with DW that morning isn't my problem. It's perfectly fine for him to give you an attitude, but not the other way around. These guys get so used to the public kissing their butts for eight hours a day, it's become an expectation and it carries over into every contact they have, including those in personal life. Just because the guy graduated from some country boy police academy and issued a gun, a badge, and a ticket book, doesn't even begin to qualify him for God status. Throw into all of that, the speed traps, illegal car searches, firearm confiscations, evidence throw downs and women being body-cavity searched on the side of the road, and you can see why everyone doesn't have a glowing respect for these guys. Fortunately, I haven't suffered abuse by the boys in blue, but I literally hold my breath if I'm stopped just to make it quick so they will just go away. If I ever do get put in a situation involving any of the above scenarios, you can bet I'll lawyer up in a hurry and go for the gold. I don't give them any BS and I certainly don't intend to put up with any either.

Ken / Claudia
04-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Here if a cop is doing his job right. He has the plate, location, etc radioed in and dispatch informs him of the drivers and vehicle information before any contact has been made. One of those is if the R/O of the vehicle is a CCW holder and if it's valid or not. I feel somewhat safe hearing valid holder of a CCW permit. It is all the others that want or could do harm to me that concerns me most and those are most of the contacts or stops. How many criminals had guns or other weapons that I never know about because they decided not to fight and were not arrested. To be a cop you just need to be as careful as possible and learn how to read people intents, and hope your right. When your wrong bad things happen fast. And Bob I have read about some of that stuff you talk about, those cops cost the deptments BIG money, who won't hire a lawyer if in one of those situtions. I never have a bad day regarding contacts,stops,arrests(at the office yes, not in public) just do my job and treat all as I polite as I can, it is all about training and job expertise.

gearhead
04-06-2014, 03:04 PM
So....I always wanted to tour Canada. Has anyone crossed the border with the typical 38 snubby or 1911 45ACP? I have looked at the US Embassy website and it doesn't look promising. I don't think an "assault looking" shotgun would be approved either.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Festus2
04-06-2014, 03:21 PM
The link that you provided should give you a pretty good idea of what the regulations are if you plan on bringing a gun(s) into Canada. As noted, there are 3 classifications: non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

If you are serious about bring a handgun or shotgun or whatever into Canada, you need to check very carefully what type of gun(s) is allowed and what permits and other documents you require.

I can tell you about various unpleasant incidents involving American tourists who didn't bother to check beforehand, didn't declare them at the border and had no paperwork. One recent case involved 3 elderly folks who entered (and fell into the all of the above), they were fined $25000, spent several days in jail, and had all of their guns confiscated and not returned. Their reason for bringing them? Wild animals roaming freely everywhere........ They weren't trying to "sneak" them in ..... just totally ignorant of the rules.

Many think that, because they can own, wear, pack or transport certain types of guns "back home", they thought our rules would be the same. They are quite different and far, far more restrictive. Others are concerned about being attacked by grizzlies and other wild animals while others are just concerned about their own safety.

You must have an acceptable reason why you are bringing weapons across the border - the link explains what they are -your own personal safety is not acceptable unless you are going into the north where protection against wild animals is ok.

Bottom line --- do your homework, know the rules, and don't try to hide or conceal anything from the Canadian border folks. They, like many of their American counterparts, have little sense of ha-ha and can make life very miserable for you.

gearhead
04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Festus, I looked over the website pretty good and could find no "sure" way to travel in Canada with protection.

Oh...and I ain't Billy.
Billy Joe Shaver is a semi-famous American singer that was charged with assault (with a gun) in Waco TX and acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_Shaver

the song for your entertainment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-4teVplZ8

Steve S
04-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Festus, I looked over the website pretty good and could find no "sure" way to travel in Canada with protection.

Oh...and I ain't Billy.
Billy Joe Shaver is a semi-famous American singer that was charged with assault (with a gun) in Waco TX and acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_Shaver

the song for your entertainment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-4teVplZ8

Why would you want or need to carry protection in Canada? We don't have the need to carry weapons in our country nor should you!
Being pulled over here by the R.C.M.P with a concealed weapon is a pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head.

KJcachers
04-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Why would you want or need to carry protection in Canada? We don't have the need to carry weapons in our country nor should you!

Being pulled over here by the R.C.M.P with a concealed weapon is a pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head.

You must be content to blindly trust your government.

Festus2
04-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Steve/KJcachers
Let's not get into this debate/discussion about the pros and cons of having the right or not having the right to possess, carry or transport guns. The thread is about the laws and regulations that exist concerning the transportation of guns in an RV from state to state.

Americans have their laws and rights and we have ours. They are different. So let's leave it at that and focus on the thread topic.

Steve - Please think about your comment about "being pulled over here by the RCMP with a concealed weapon is pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head". I'm trying to think of an appropriate response but quite frankly, you've left me at a loss for words.

Steve S
04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
You must be content to blindly trust your government.

Yes and it works very well for us as we're a peaceful country. I couldn't imagine living in a country where I needed to carry a gun with me as I can't trust those around me not even my neighbors.
Anyways carry on with you're peaceful conversation:)

Festus2
04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
I have tried at least twice to steer this thread away from becoming a political discussion about guns but it seems that it just can't be avoided by some. Consequently, the thread is being closed.

Thank you to those who took part in the discussion and focused on the topic.