PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota

ed cobos
04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Yup got camping fever - spending all summer out and about:New Mexico Colorado and South Dakota. Saw good reviews around the black hills but can't decide on a campground. We like peace and quiet and friendly places. So any suggestions near Custer, hill city, etc would be great.

theeyres
04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Rafter J Bar is by far the nicest RV Park around and it is just outside Hill City. Pricer than some, but worth it. You can get a site in the trees or the meadow--your choice. Beautiful place and quiet.

denverpilot
04-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Any thoughts on where to camp near Miller, SD?

No... Not kidding. Need to go to the middle of nowhere on personal business...

bsmith0404
04-03-2014, 01:25 AM
We stayed at Big Pine in Custer, very nice, quiet campground. Just down the road from that is Beaver Lake, it's closer to the road and gets a little more traffic noise, but has a small waterpark/pool area with a waterslide if you have kids.

gkainz
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Nate, Miller is NOT the middle of nowhere ... Not even close. Red Owl, SD is close to middle of nowhere. :)

dgannott
04-03-2014, 03:33 PM
We are going to the Black Hills this June. We are staying at Big Pine near Custer too. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone. Maybe looking to move out there for work and the DW has never been there so a scouting trip/vacation.

bsmith0404
04-03-2014, 04:14 PM
We are going to the Black Hills this June. We are staying at Big Pine near Custer too. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone. Maybe looking to move out there for work and the DW has never been there so a scouting trip/vacation.

They are great people and have a very nice campground. They do a great job of keeping it clean and are very helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

denverpilot
04-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Nate, Miller is NOT the middle of nowhere ... Not even close. Red Owl, SD is close to middle of nowhere. :)

Haha. Yeah, but you can see it from there. :)

bobbecky
04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Custers Gulch RV Park is really nice. Stayed there last year, and well located for visiting the Black Hills.

Jca3
04-04-2014, 04:40 PM
We like Blue Bell Lodge. Lovely place.

old racer
04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Would strongly recommend Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort @ Spearfish. Large pull thru paved sites with Concrete patios, scenry and quiet

cmlong
04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
We stayed at the Horsethief Campground. Off the main highway so it was really quiet. Easy access to Custer and Hill City.

ExTowerClimber
04-05-2014, 04:37 AM
Rafter J Bar is by far the nicest RV Park around and it is just outside Hill City. Pricer than some, but worth it. You can get a site in the trees or the meadow--your choice. Beautiful place and quiet.

x2 on the Rafter J.

campers5
04-05-2014, 05:05 AM
We went to South Dakota in 2012 and stayed at Mystery Mountain Resort in Rapid City. Very nice ,affordable, friendly and helpful. The all you can eat pancake breakfast for $1 didn't hurt either! It was an awesome trip...:)

gepaine
04-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Haven't seen any recommendations for campgrounds inside Custer State Park, but we stayed at Stockade Lake North campground 2 years ago and really liked it. Electric only, but it has the best free, clean, modern, and large public showers I've seen at any government park. It is also the closest state park campground to Custer and to the Crazy Horse monument and museum.

JeffS
04-06-2014, 04:41 PM
I would second Rafter J, just outside Hill City. If you go be sure to have dinner at the Alpine Inn. Here is a link to their dinner menu.

http://www.alpineinnhillcity.com/sidebar-dinner.php

ksbowman
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM
x2 on Custer's Gulch.

antiqfreq
04-07-2014, 04:25 AM
We stayed in Custer SP for 7 nights.

It has NO hook ups, but the water spickets are close. Campground hosts were great. I liked its central location for lots to do/see/and some of the drives are awesome.

Jo

gepaine
04-07-2014, 06:44 AM
We stayed in Custer SP for 7 nights.

It has NO hook ups, but the water spickets are close. Campground hosts were great. I liked its central location for lots to do/see/and some of the drives are awesome.

Jo

I agree with everything you said except the part about NO hookups. Stockade Lake North definitely had electric-only and I think that is true of some of the other six campgrounds in Custer SP.

airforceret
04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
We stayed at the Horsethief Campground. Off the main highway so it was really quiet. Easy access to Custer and Hill City.

We stayed at Horsethief too and enjoyed the stay.