PDA

View Full Version : First trip with Ram 1500

mikereidjr
04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Hello-
I Own A 2013 Springdale 26rl, We just got it. It is really nice!

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with 3.92's and a Hemi. When we towed it home for the first time it really sagged in the rear even with the WD hitch, and the sway control did not do much.

I did a bunch of reading online and installed the Airlift1000 air bags, but it still sags a lot.

I am wondering if I just need to invest in a new truck, I still do want to investigate my WD hitch, I think the dealer did not set it up right.

I guess I am just looking for advice, My truck can pull 10,000 pounds and my trailer is around 6,400 dry. My Payload is 1200ish and my tongue weight is around 700.

It seems like my truck has plenty of power, but the suspension kills the experience. Plus the fact I get 6mpg pulling it.

Help, I just need some insight-

Jim & DJ
04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
:wlcm:

Put enough air pressure in bags ???????

mikereidjr
04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I have them pumped up to 30psi that is the max-

Mike

Jim & DJ
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Try a little more pressure unless your brand of airbag does't allow it.

therink
04-02-2014, 03:55 PM
What is the payload rating of your 1500? Have you taken it to a scale with and without trailer hitched? The Ram 1500 is known for low payload ratings. Some of the loaded ram 1500 s have avail payload of 1100-1200 which gets used real quick. You have a Springdale 26RLS? That TT has a gvwr of 8500 with potential for a loaded 13% tongue weight of over 1,000. I recommend hitting the scales loaded and ready for camping. This will help you decide if your current truck is up to the task.
Steve

unyalli
04-02-2014, 04:03 PM
What WD hitch?

Feel like a little exercise in weighing?

How to weigh (http://fifthwheelst.com/rv-weighing-worksheet.html)

Bottom line head out to the Cat scale fully loaded and gas up. Go inside and inform the person doing weighing that day you are a personal RV and will be doing three weights.

Weight one pull on the scales as described in the link, reach way up to the call button then get back in truck. Operator will say when your weighed.

Pull off and go around then back on the scale same as before, let loose your weight distribution bars, hit the call button get beck in truck. When done REACTIVATE weight bars then drive off.

Go to where all the semis are parking and disconnect the trailer and remove your hitch head. Get back on the scales and weight just your truck.

Whew, re connect trailer and go inside and get your weight tickets then head home and fill out the report (http://fifthwheelst.com/conventional_travel_trailer_weight_calculator.html ).

Now you will absolutely know where you stand weight wise and if your WD is distributing or not.

-Jeff

buzzcop63
04-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Trailer Life "Guide to Towing" 2013 addition, Page 29, Hitch Adjustment: "Evaluating the proper adjustment of a weight-distributing hitch is relatively simple: The tow vehicle should maintain the same attitude before hitching that it does after hitching, measured at reference points at the front and rear bumpers or wheel wells. If it is level before hitching, it should be level afterward, although slightly lower due to the addition of hitch weight. A level attitude means the adequate load has been placed on the spring bars to distribute portions of the hitch weight equally to the front and rear axles. If the rear of the tow vehicle sags after hitching, then the spring-bar loading isn't adequate."
Good luck, hope the above helps!

So Cal CPA
04-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Hello-
I Own A 2013 Springdale 26rl, We just got it. It is really nice!

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with 3.92's and a Hemi. When we towed it home for the first time it really sagged in the rear even with the WD hitch, and the sway control did not do much.

I did a bunch of reading online and installed the Airlift1000 air bags, but it still sags a lot.

I am wondering if I just need to invest in a new truck, I still do want to investigate my WD hitch, I think the dealer did not set it up right.

I guess I am just looking for advice, My truck can pull 10,000 pounds and my trailer is around 6,400 dry. My Payload is 1200ish and my tongue weight is around 700.

It seems like my truck has plenty of power, but the suspension kills the experience. Plus the fact I get 6mpg pulling it.

Help, I just need some insight-

I have a 2013 ram 1500 QC with the airlift 1000 bags that I use to tow my cougar 29rbs. trailer might be a little heavier than yours and I get no sag with the bags at 25 psi. my bet is you wd hitch is not setup properly. I spent about a day making adjustments to mine before I felt I really had it dialed in. also I pump up the bags before hooking up the trailer.

theeyres
04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
You don't say what kind of weight distribution and anti-sway system you have. If it is a good one, there is no doubt that you can set it up so there is little sag in the rear of the truck. That is what they are designed to do. Dealers are known for selling cheapy systems, so hope you got one that will do the job.

As for mpg, can't do much about that...no system will change that. But if your truck handles the trailer with a properly set-up weight distribution system, a new truck's cost, depreciation, payments, trade-in, etc. will never start to offset 6 mpg. Don't worry about the mpg...your $1000's ahead keeping your current rig.

07 Frontier
04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Trailer Life "Guide to Towing" 2013 addition, Page 29, Hitch Adjustment: "Evaluating the proper adjustment of a weight-distributing hitch is relatively simple: The tow vehicle should maintain the same attitude before hitching that it does after hitching, measured at reference points at the front and rear bumpers or wheel wells. If it is level before hitching, it should be level afterward, although slightly lower due to the addition of hitch weight. A level attitude means the adequate load has been placed on the spring bars to distribute portions of the hitch weight equally to the front and rear axles. If the rear of the tow vehicle sags after hitching, then the spring-bar loading isn't adequate."
Good luck, hope the above helps!

^^ your wd hitch needs to be adjusted properly. it'll make all the difference.
i often see vehicles pulling tag-along's where it's obvious the driver doesn't know how, or care, to make these adjustments
get'r done;)

Essness
04-18-2014, 03:00 AM
I have a 2012 Ram with airlift bags. I run the bags right at 30lbs and loaded trailer is just shy of my max. I think you need to work on the weight distribution.........

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_122654_0_b4da144929bc4233918c20f26defc242.jpg

audio1der
04-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Our trucks, trailers and setups are nearly identical. I would STRONGLY suggest spending some time adjusting your WD hitch. I even lowered my truck rear 2" and I don't get any sag when hooked up, and the bags are at 30lbs.

gwbillett
04-20-2014, 03:53 AM
I have a 2013 ram 1500 CC and I would have to agree about the WDH. My sits down a little but it brings the truck to level since my rear sits a little high unloaded. Oh btw the way we have a Bullet 308BHS and it tows it like a champ with no issues.

ncgrl1
04-20-2014, 03:14 PM
There is definitely something wrong. I pull a 2014 Cougar 26SAB fifth wheel and our truck doesn't squat much at all. My truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 short bed regular cab with hemi and 3.92 rear gear. I have the air bags at 35 pounds. The rv's empty weight is 7047 pounds. Pin weight is 1190 pounds. I feel sure your wdh is doing very little if anything at all. I'm sure you will be happy once you get things set up right...

x96mnn
04-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Have a 1500 and 266 which is around 6500 dry. Have a Reese dual cam with WD and airlift 1000 airbags at 30pds. I get little to no sag and have my WD barely engaged. Can you send photo of your setup?

Whitewolf
04-20-2014, 07:02 PM
We used to have an '11 1500 with a Forest River Windjammer of about the same dimensions as yours, but with a heavier tongue weight. Not only did I add the Airlift 1000, I added progressive rate springs from Tuftruck. Even with the WD hitch it was a struggle to get the rear end where it should be.

The coil springs which help give a great ride for a truck, is a drawback when loading the back end.

My Windjammer's tongue weight was a little,over 1000 lbs. I would consider the springs. They helped a lot. It's cheaper than a new 3500. I know.