PDA

View Full Version : Another water pump question

randy69
04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I have a sureflo water pump with a strainer filter unit on the suction side of pump has anyone changed one of these? And if so why?

bobbecky
04-01-2014, 07:48 PM
The pump or the strainer?

randy69
04-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Strainer/filter ....It is screwed on the pump suction side and has a clear plastic bowl.

Rick
04-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Here's a link to the Shurflo strainer page (http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-accessories/water-system-accessories/default.html)-

Seems it's in lieu of an aux. water filter. Just keeps the thick stuff out of your system.

Looks like all you have to do is unscrew the plastic cover, replace the filter and screw it back together-

Rick

JRTJH
04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Randy,

There's no need to "change it". Rather, unscrew the plastic bowl, remove the stainless steel screen, run it under water to clean it, then reinstall and make sure the red O-ring is in the groove at the top of the clear plastic bowl. Screw it hand tight, don't overtighten, and check for leaks when you run water.

The strainer is not a "filter" rather it is a "strainer" intended to catch sawdust, sand, bits of the fresh water tank that might have been left inside the tank when it was assembled and installed. There is no pressure on it, so it does not have to be tight, just "snug". If it is installed snugly, the only way it would leak is if the one way valve on the pump fails and city water pressure backflows through the pump and into the fresh water tank.

It's a good ideal to just shine a flash light on it occasionally to make sure it's not clogged with sand, otherwise, just clean the screen at the beginning of each camping season. Don't forget to make sure it's empty when you winterize.

bobbecky
04-02-2014, 02:44 PM
You also, if you don't fulltime, can see green slime on the screen, even if you have sanitized the fresh tank. Replaced a pump years ago on an older trailer, just to discover the new one didn't work either. Ended up being the screen that I transferred from the old pump to the new one. This one had a bayonet connection to twist open to access the screen, water ran fine after cleaning the slime from it.

randy69
04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the reply,s . The water pump is mounted on the floor behind the sub woofer speaker. And the strainer clear cap is to close to the floor to unscrew. I had to remove 2 drawers to see it, let alone reaching it. I guess my Saturday will be remounting the pump for easy access. It must have been installed before the cabinets were.

randy69
04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the reply,s . The water pump is mounted on the floor behind the sub woofer speaker. And the strainer clear cap is to close to the floor to unscrew. I had to remove 2 drawers to see it, let alone reaching it. I guess my Saturday will be remounting the pump for easy access. It must have been installed before the cabinets were.

Well finished relocating the water pump. now it is easy to get at and unscrew the plastic filter bowl. But notice cold air coming through the 5" holes that were cut for plumbing and electrical. So filled them with insulation. OK PICTURE TIME.