PDA

View Full Version : Level TT with slide in or out?

canadianboy
03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
started last year with a Travel Trailer, and still trying to get all things lined up so no problems as still new, but is it better to level a trailer with the slide in or have it out then level it? thanks

PARAPTOR
03-31-2014, 09:03 PM
started last year with a Travel Trailer, and still trying to get all things lined up so no problems as still new, but is it better to level a trailer with the slide in or have it out then level it? thanks

Recommendation is to level rig before opening slide(s)

Western Traveler
03-31-2014, 11:41 PM
With our little trailer the most obvious thing is with the slide out I would have to crawl under it to adjust the blocks. Once leveled the weight of the slide has not changed level any noticible amount when extended.

Bob Landry
04-01-2014, 03:52 AM
The weight of the slide is going to affect the level, so you will need to figure out how much and account for it when you level the trailer. I check level with a bubble level in the middle of the floor and my two slide-outs change the level by a bubble.

Javi
04-01-2014, 04:11 AM
Level side to side, chock the wheels, unhook from TV, level front to back, put the stabilizer jacks down, hook up electric, water and sewer(if applicable) then run the slide out.

One note for those with a touch of OCD... the old days of your refrigerator self-destructing if not perfectly level are long gone... get her close and have an adult beverage.

I use a 3 foot carpenter's level in the doorway and I've never had an issue... It's close enough that stuff don't roll off the counter or table and that's good enough.

GaryWT
04-01-2014, 04:47 AM
I level with the slides in, put down the jacks and then open the slides. I do have to have the slide side slightly higher so it is level when the slides are open.

cabinfever
04-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Level side to side, chock the wheels, unhook from TV, level front to back, put the stabilizer jacks down, hook up electric, water and sewer(if applicable) then run the slide out.

One note for those with a touch of OCD... the old days of your refrigerator self-destructing if not perfectly level are long gone... get her close and have an adult beverage.

I use a 3 foot carpenter's level in the doorway and I've never had an issue... It's close enough that stuff don't roll off the counter or table and that's good enough.

EXACTLY! "bouncey:

chartrand
04-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I level with slide in as well. Moving the weight of the slide further out once leveled might have some effect , (depending on the type of ground your parked on), but I've never worried about it. If I park on soft ground, like you get in early spring, I have left the slide side a hair higher expecting things to settle some. But it's really not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

canadianboy
04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
thanks guys for your help

bsmith0404
04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Pretty much what everyone else has said, level, put down stabilizers and put slides out. What I found on mine old camper is that I would have to have the double slide side just a bit high or the slider/pocket door between the main cabin and bedroom would move on its own. That was the only thing that would clue me in that it wasn't completely level, oh and maybe just a small puddle in the shower.

PT RV`er
04-02-2014, 03:01 AM
I level with the slides in, put down the jacks and then open the slides. I do have to have the slide side slightly higher so it is level when the slides are open.

X2, same thing I do as both of my slides are on the same side.

airforceret
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I have to admit... I'm pretty much all of the above at one point or another! Rain, snow, heat, tired, dark ..... all factors in which order my slides get out! I've yet to see where it really matters overall... I will say that it's easier to chock the wheels before the slides go out... but it's also nice to get the slides out so the wife and dog have a place to hang out while I'm setting up!

Whitewolf
04-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Just a thought. Before you go out, level your rig with the slides in, then check it with the slides out. Then you've got an idea what the difference is.

We had(have) a Forest River Rockwood Windjammer and it made a big difference between slides in and slides out.

I say (have) because we still have 2 freakin' ft of snow. We made the trade to a Montana High Country several weeks ago on paper, but the Windjammer is still in locked storage behind that snow. :banghead:

JRTJH
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I feel your pain, Whitewolf. We lost about 6" today, but the drive is running a river of water, mud and sand with the melt. When it's all gone, I'll go out and drag all the gravel back up the hill..... Only about 18" to go and we'll have grass with no ice in the yard !!!!! (Well, except for the piles around the drive and in the back yard.) Hopefully they will melt by June.

Whitewolf
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I love winter I really do. But it came early and has been long. I'm ready of it to go. At this rate it'll be June around here too. :(

fla-gypsy
04-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I level first, chock and stabilize then put the slides out and hook up utilities, awning, rug, etc.

KJcachers
04-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I level and put out the stabilizers/Chocks. Then the slide goes out and I retighten the stabs on the opposite side as my trailer does a bit of a lean with the slide out.

tommyboy123
04-12-2014, 05:09 AM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk