PDA

View Full Version : Surge protector

ed cobos
03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Recently went to camping world to check out prices for a "surge protector" what the clerk suggested was a $279 unit, and not the $89 one. Wow. The service dept. said that in my 2013 keystone hideout, has a built in Protector. My question is how many actually have bought and used one? And does the trailer have a decent one already? We camp in full hook up sites in private and state parks, never had a problem. Finally is there a way to test a pedestal before hooking up?
Thanks for any responses.

JRTJH
03-29-2014, 07:43 PM
I would certainly verify what you were told about having a "factory installed" voltage protection circuit. To my knowledge, none of Keystone's offerings have a built in surge protector. The only "protection" I'm aware of is a 30 amp (or 50 amp) main breaker... It won't do much if the pedestal is wired wrong...

If you have a 15 amp:30 amp adapter to plug your RV into a standard outlet, you can buy one of these testers.... It will check everything except voltage. You can buy a voltage meter that plugs into a standard outlet and will measure the voltage for you.

Here's the Circuit Monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-HGT6120-Circuit-Analyzer/dp/B000NB27YI/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Here's the Line Meter:

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4055-Voltage-Meter/dp/B002P48KLK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396150923&sr=8-4&keywords=RV+120+volt+monitor

Keep in mind neither of these devices will "protect your RV" they will only test the circuit for status. That status can change at any time.... That's the reason for a built in voltage protection device.

I strongly urge you to verify what you were told. It sure doesn't sound right.....

PARAPTOR
03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Recently went to camping world to check out prices for a "surge protector" what the clerk suggested was a $279 unit, and not the $89 one. Wow. The service dept. said that in my 2013 keystone hideout, has a built in Protector. My question is how many actually have bought and used one? And does the trailer have a decent one already? We camp in full hook up sites in private and state parks, never had a problem. Finally is there a way to test a pedestal before hooking up?
Thanks for any responses.

I have never heard of a factory installed surge protector (option) unless it was purchased from CW and they installed one :confused:

As John stated only protection in standard rigs is the Circuit Breakers/Fuses which basically are sized to protect wiring in the trailer.

Before you purchase any type of additional protection I would do I search on the site such as surge, EMS. There is also some good comparisons of the portable versus hard wired units.

I highly recommend considering one, that is ,if you do not have one already :D

Bob Landry
03-30-2014, 04:55 AM
I agree. It's unlikely that Keystone would put a surge protector in their entry level trailers, since they don't do it on any of the others that I am aware of. Also, Camping World isn't know for having the most knowledgeable techs or sales people, so I would say no.
What the salesman was correct about is getting more protection with the more expensive device. A power surge is not the only thing that can damage your electrical system and it's better(and cheaper) in the long run to have all-around protection.

Andymon
03-30-2014, 07:39 AM
I use one every time we go out. Bought mine here from a member. Check ebay and Amazon. I got mine for $160.