PDA

View Full Version : macerator pump recommendation?

Anson9110
03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm a total newbie and currently purchasing everything I need for the upcoming spring. Could anyone please recommend a decent macerator pump? I've looked at some threads here but I'm surprised I'm not finding much. Also, while I'm asking....do I NEED to have a water hook-up while using a macerator or can I just rely on gravity, then rinse it out with a "toilet wand"? Thanks in advance for any help on the crappy issue. :rofl:

outwest
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
I don't have much experience with macerator pumps, but can tell you this - if you use a garden hose on the output side of the pump, don't save the hose for next season - toss the hose in the bin. The hose will break down and when you go to do it again next year it will have holes throughout and act like a giant sprinkler, spewing gunk everywhere.

How I know? Father made that mistake once and he ended up "watering" the side of another camper's RV *oops!*

As for the water hookup - unless you want it for rinsing tank, etc., it's not needed. And, of course you might need it to wash the neighbor's RV *laf!*

Anson9110
03-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I would never have guessed that....wow! Thanks..

Anson9110
03-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Forgot to add..... I want to be able to push "it" through a garden hose about 100ft back... I have 13.3 amps available... (honda eu2000).

Festus2
03-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not quite sure why you would need a macerator pump. You really don't need to macerate your toilet waste. When you "dump" or get rid of everything in your holding tanks, including toilet waste in your black tank, it flows out on its own - by gravity. There should be enough liquid in the tank to move it along and; with proper flushing and using your black tank flush system, all of the waste - including solids - move through and out of the RV sewer system.

Just keep plenty of liquid - water - in the tank before you start using it and after it has been dumped and flushed. If you don't the solids start to build up and form the dreaded "pyramid" in the bottom of your black tank.

If you were on a 30 ft boat, a macerator pump would be essential - but not for a 30 ft RV.

On Edit -
Whoops, I guess while I was typing up this reply, the poster added that he was moving the waste 100 ft into a septic system. We must have posted at pretty much the same time.
Oh well, I got some typing practice.

Anson9110
03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Totally my fault, I should have mentioned... I have to push it back to septic system. It's either that or I would have to dump it into buckets and carry it. I've got a strong stomach but........ think it would take many, many buckets to throughly clean the tank.

superdog404
03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I just bought a used one and have used it twice. It works great. it is a Flojet brand. The instruction say you need a 3/4" or 1" hose. I did try it with a 5/8" hose and it worked but I was only pumping it about 30' Being new to these also I haven't heard anything about the hose going bad. outwest has experience with that so I guess I will find out.

outwest
03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the breaking down of the hose happened because of a combination of the formaldehyde in the aqua-chem and the hose sitting out in the hot weather when not in use.

The really bad part, the poor camper that got RV doused had their kitchen window open at the time :eek:

PARAPTOR
03-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Festus2, In addition to anson9110 others use it at home to pump their tanks to septic or sewer systems not near their campers. Other post described using it to pump tanks into a portable (Blue Boy) located in the bed of their truck, eliminating towing the portable tank at super slow speeds :yawn: to the dump station.

Festus2
03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Festus2, In addition to anson9110 others use it at home to pump their tanks to septic or sewer systems not near their campers. Other post described using it to pump tanks into a portable (Blue Boy) located in the bed of their truck, eliminating towing the portable tank at super slow speeds :yawn: to the dump station.

Yes, I forgot about those people who would require the use of a macerator pump for the purposes you outlined. I've just never encountered anyone who uses or has a pump so I was puzzled :confused: as to why you would need one. Now I know.

Weber
06-05-2017, 05:48 PM
I am looking at macerater pumps as well. Great information on here. I want to empty my tanks at home but clean out is 150 feet away from drive and about a 2-3 ft gradual incline. Flow jet brand seems to be the most popular. But there are a few more on the market. Anyone else have any input?

B-O-B'03
06-05-2017, 06:10 PM
I am looking at macerater pumps as well. Great information on here. I want to empty my tanks at home but clean out is 150 feet away from drive and about a 2-3 ft gradual incline. Flow jet brand seems to be the most popular. But there are a few more on the market. Anyone else have any input?

I have a flo-jet pump and my clean out is in the front of the front of the house, also about 150 feet from the camper.

Fortunately the guest bathroom window is less than 100 feet so I run the hose into the toilet in the guest bathroom and it works great.

I use my clear elbow with the pump and it grinds up everything that comes to it and pumps it through the 3/4 inch garden hose with ease... cleaning out the black tank this weekend and saw what looked to be regular paper, printer of letter, not sure and was worried it would clog things up, but no issues.

It was $200 well spent, much better than hooking up and dragging it to Cabela's for a free dump.

-Brian