PDA

View Full Version : changed tow vehicle to Heavy duty truck

Lluker
03-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Have changed tow vehicle from a '98 Ford Explorer V8 pulling a Passport 28RLS to a '04 Dodge HD 2500 that was used and outfitted with HD suspension to carry a Bigfoot Camper. Now question is since this pickup is MUCH higher at the hitch point and has a much stiffer suspension, what changes other then reconsidering the use of the Equalizer, do we need to make?

GaryWT
03-26-2014, 06:06 PM
I just upgraded from a 150 to a 350 so my truck is close to 6 inches higher. My plan is to lower the ball height as clos to 5.5-6 inches as I can, hook up the trailer to see if the bars are even with the frame and adjust as needed. As long as the truck height at the wheels is in range I will give it a go. Do not believe ther is anything else to do as long as the trailer is level.

theeyres
03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Not sure what you mean by reconsidering the use of the Equalizer. Do you mean not needing it or to start using it? Yes, you still need it, if that's what you mean.

Kristi
03-27-2014, 05:43 AM
We just transferred ours from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton also. Look in your booklet from Equilizer and adjust the ball height on the new truck to the same it was on the old. For our passport it was 24 inches, so we had to drop the ball 2 inches. We also had to flip the hitch. Here is a link to the E2 instructions http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2_roundbar_instructions_0710_small.pdf

hankaye
03-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Lluker, Howdy;

AS a former TT owner and Eqi-lizer hitch owner,
I can tell ya they have different Ball mounts for
different heights. Get on their website and check
them out.

hankaye

Lluker
03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
thanks to all of you who responded to my questions... this truck is SOOOOO much taller at the hitch point it is a little intimidating to think even when the hitch is inverted to lower the ball, that that trailer weight when the equalizer chains are cinched up will make any difference.... but I guess I need to revisit the principles of the equalizer hitch. Would still like any comments on the issue of this switch of tow vehicles and the use of the equalizer hitch.... great source of first hand experiences here.

robo
03-30-2014, 04:19 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/tv.aspx?productgroup=Weight%20Distribution

Can look here they have great vids to setup a hitch