PDA

View Full Version : Not if But when!

byrdr1
03-22-2014, 01:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/gerege9e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/tu2eveqe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/terejuba.jpg
China bombs!! Been under cover all winter? And under RVport?

Randy Sent this!!

bsmith0404
03-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Yep, time for them to go. I couldn't help, but notice the uneven wear on them. The outer portion appears to be down the wear bars and the center seems to have quite a bit left. I don't see any cupping that would indicate a toe problem causing the wear so it leads to think under-inflation. Just curious what is the history of these tires with air pressures and miles?

Ken / Claudia
03-22-2014, 10:53 PM
First thing I see is that it appears to be at the wear bar and also cracks. What is the age of the tires and what ever it is they are at point of replacement.

byrdr1
03-23-2014, 02:03 AM
3 years old, the wear bar is from the bulge, always 80psi. When towing. That's how I found it Checking pressure. Looking at the tire I am lucky it did not blow last trip or two. I keep them covered with those white covers. They spent there first winter in a RVport. They had 72psi in them. It's really just this one tire. Two were replaced last year in May with maxis 8008. This was drivers side rear. The other matching tire looks fine. They will be replaced Monday, I just count it lucky before a trip on Wednesday.

Randy Sent this!!

byrdr1
03-23-2014, 02:08 AM
The rest of the tire looks great except the area marked. The whole tire is even except the area marked, no they are not under inflated when towing. I am anal about that air pressure. And weights. Just lucky to find this..

Randy Sent this!!

bsmith0404
03-23-2014, 04:38 AM
The rest of the tire looks great except the area marked. The whole tire is even except the area marked, no they are not under inflated when towing. I am anal about that air pressure. And weights. Just lucky to find this..

Randy Sent this!!

Thanks for the additional info, I have never seen a tire come apart like that in just one area. Lesson learned, check the every inch of the tire. Imagine if that was on the inside bottom, would have been very difficult to find. Guess I'll start checking the tires, and then rolling them forward a bit and check again just to make sure.

Ken / Claudia
03-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Good that you found it. RV tires, one of the most inportant safety items on the RV and often over looked or not checked at all. Until a failure.

TomHaycraft
03-24-2014, 03:34 AM
I couldn't help, but notice the uneven wear on them. The outer portion appears to be down the wear bars and the center seems to have quite a bit left.

I've got the same wear on mine, 3 of four tires with 6/32 on outside grooves, 8/32 on center. I assumed it was due to the deflection trailer tires experience on turns. Incorrect?

The fourth tire (drivers rear) has 5/32 (oustide), 8/32 center and 4/32 (inside). Possibly a bit of an alignment issue, not likely enough to deal with now, but will watch wear pattern on next set of tires.

Measurements were taken at 2 years and 4 weeks after manufacture. When measured, the tired had about 8,060 miles on them (including the distance from IN to TX, assuming pulled wheels down by a hotshot for delivery to RV dealer). With exception of the miles when unit was being delivered which is always an unknown, all remainder have been at max psi for the STs, 50 psi, last 1/2 of the miles with a TPMS.

Trailer is stored covered, it rolls on a monthly basis, no signs of cracking or deterioration. I'll replace soon, but am curious to know if the slightly higher wear rate on the outside edges is simply the nature of trailer tires or if there is something more for me to look in to.