PDA

View Full Version : Noisy water pump

Steve S
03-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Is there a rebuild kit for a noisy water pump or am I wasting my time?
Has anyone replaced there's with an after market name brand one of higher quality and if so with what?

Festus2
03-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Steve -
There are a number of things you can try to decrease the noise of your water pump:

1) Remove the pump from the wooden floor, cut out a "dampening base" made from rubber, cork or other substance that will lessen the vibration, place it beneath the pump and remount it. Fasten it so that the pump is sitting on the dampening material. You even might want to place another layer of plywood beneath the pump so that it has something a bit more solid than the floor. The plywood can be glued and screwed into the floor.

2) Ensure that all lines leading to and from the pump that pass through cutouts or holes in panels or partitions are not touching any part of them. I've fitted any of these lines with foam wrap where they pass through any of these holes. These lines vibrate and when they touch the panel, it magnifies the vibrating sound.

3) Remove the short plastic lines to and from the pump and replace with braided SS lines.

4) You might want to look into installing a small tank accumulator -- this is a device that will reduce the number of cycling times the pump needs to come on and off as well reducing the time it takes for water to actually start moving. Net result? Your pump doesn't run for quite so long and therefore produces less noise. I think Steveston Marine in Langley has these tanks or can order one in for you. First check the area where the pump is located to make sure you have enough room to install one of these tanks. They come in various sizes.

Steve S
03-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks Festus these are all great ideas that I'll put in motion. I'm pretty sure most of the noise is from vibration in the lines as it seems worse in certain areas.
I'm pretty sure the pump is mounted directly to the floor without anything in between it to dampen the vibration.

bsmith0404
03-20-2014, 02:40 AM
All great steps to reduce vibration, if you decide to, or have a need to replace the pump, I replaced one of mine a few year back with a shurflo. Worked great, but wasn't any quieter than the original pump.

Steve S
03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
All great steps to reduce vibration, if you decide to, or have a need to replace the pump, I replaced one of mine a few year back with a shurflo. Worked great, but wasn't any quieter than the original pump.

Mine is right beside the bed, not a big deal unless someone's sleeping so a quieter one will be needed if the above fixes mentioned don't work. I'm sure they'll make a big difference as noise can transfer a long way.

BirchyBoy
03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Is heat an issue with the pump? Could you put a layer of insulation loosely over the top inside the enclosure?

Steve S
03-29-2014, 11:08 AM
I cut a piece of memory foam and installed that under the pump and what a world of difference! We can hardly hear it now.:)

TLB
03-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Great tips everyone :thumbsup: