PDA

View Full Version : Question on screw length

bigceltic
03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a (new to me) 2011 Laredo 303TG (I know, I have to update my sig). It has the U-shaped dinette. The table is the "folding frame-leg" design (aka the "knee killer") and we do not like it. We would prefer the two pedestal leg design of the 2010 303TG. We found the leg bases and legs online, but wondered if someone knows how long the screws should be (esp for the ones used to secure the leg bases to the floor (which is in the slide out and we don't want to go through the floor.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Kristi
03-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Our passport has the two leg design. Not sure about the screw size, but I think you'll like it a lot better then the knee killer.

Sent from my iPad

bigceltic
03-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I have a (new to me) 2011 Laredo 303TG (I know, I have to update my sig). It has the U-shaped dinette. The table is the "folding frame-leg" design (aka the "knee killer") and we do not like it. We would prefer the two pedestal leg design of the 2010 303TG. We found the leg bases and legs online, but wondered if someone knows how long the screws should be (esp for the ones used to secure the leg bases to the floor (which is in the slide out and we don't want to go through the floor.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
George

UPDATE: I called Keystone and they did not know but they said that the "standard"/rule of thumb is to measure the thickness of the mounting flange on the table base and add 1/2". Seems pretty reasonable given that the slide floor is 1/2 thick plywood. Will post pics once I complete this project. BTW, here is what I have and what I am working towards (google image search pics, no my trailer)

therink
03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
1/2 sounds about right. I had mine out to move the bases a couple of inches. Make sure that are coarse thread with tapered heads.

bsmith0404
03-21-2014, 02:47 AM
If you have carpet, 1/2" will not be long enough. You have to account for the thickness of the carpet as well. Probably need at least 3/4"

canesfan
03-21-2014, 05:37 AM
The carpet in mine is about as thick as a piece of thin, flimsy poster board. It wouldn't make a difference as to the length of screw. I learned this from starting to redo my steps. They actually screwed right through the carpet. :rolleyes:

bsmith0404
03-21-2014, 05:43 PM
The carpet in mine is about as thick as a piece of thin, flimsy poster board. It wouldn't make a difference as to the length of screw. I learned this from starting to redo my steps. They actually screwed right through the carpet. :rolleyes:

Yes it is thin and a screw will easily go through it, but it will still prevent the table base from sitting flat against the floor board and will account for some space. It also has a thin, cheap, foam pad under it which also will account for some space. A 1/2" of screw length, especially on a wood screw that has reduced thread size at the end for penetration purposes, isn't much to provide good holding strength. I would use 5/8-3/4" extra, just to make sure it gets maximum bite. But's that's just me.