PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chains

Bluebeard
11-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Do you guys put tire chains on a Cougar 24 footer in a snow storm? Just curious. I cannot find anything in the owners manual about it. I am leaving in a snow storm tomorrow and I'd like to know if I need to get chains for it.

66ken
11-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Normally you would only run chains on your tow vehicle. I don't think you want chains on the trailer.

hankpage
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Chains are for traction and would do more harm then good on a trailer. If you have a TT with sway-control loosen it up as mentioned in instructions or it will push you all over the place. JM2¢ , Hank

cpaulsen
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
If you live in a state that requires chains on a trailer.......you have to have them with you and use them if need be. States like Wash,Oregon and California require the use of chains on a trailer in a major storm when road conditions require them.

bennydog
11-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Trailer Life in one of their test drive articles did put chains on the trailer as they got caught in a snow storm driving over a pass. As posted earlier several states require that you have them and do check. I use the kind of chains on my truck that not only provide for traction but also lateral control to keep the vehicle from moving side to side which not all chains do. We have a 2010 24' Cougar and I looked into chains for it but believe that I would need to remove the faring or the chains would destroy it. so we just stay home if it looks like snow.

Bluebeard
11-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Bennydog- I used to be a chain installer a few years ago, and the first thing I noticed is that I would have to take apart the wheel skirts to install chains. I think the better advice is just to park it during a snow storm. I cannot imagine how scary it would be to have the truck and trailer going sideways down the road!

CWtheMan
12-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Here you go, check it out.

http://www.kenjones.com/HTML/State-Tire-Chain-Laws-and-Regulations-KenJonesTires.aspx

CW

ktmracer
12-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Don't know where you are located, but in Oregon, when traction tires or devices are required, if your towing, you will need to chain up the tow vehicle and one axle of any trailer. Also you are required to carry chains for the tow vehicle and trailer whenever the "carry chains" signs are up. On I-5 and some of the common passes they are getting pretty strict about the carry requirements and have stopped vehicles to check. If no chains your fined and not allowed to proceeed.

Personally, if it's bad enough to chain up, I pull off and wait it out. Been there, done that, and mountain driving with a chained up trailer is NOT fun. Much easier to stop, turn on the heat, pop in a DVD, and watch everyone trying to chain up.