PDA

View Full Version : Looking at trucks

GaryWT
03-18-2014, 07:40 PM
We were looking at trucks this weekend. The 150 tows great, don't even know the trailer is there but it does need tires this month. The 250's and 350's are basically the same when it comes to towing, including the price. The 350 has about 600 more pounds of payload. Diesel adds $8,300 so looking at gas at 40k. Not sure I want the $600 truck payment plus when I return to work this is the daily driver. Might just get the tires and wait a year, just not sure.

Mark TC
03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
I had a 150, went looking at 250. Found a 2013 350 on clearance or marked down cheaper than a 250. I bought it. It has the 6.2 gasser. I like it a lot. Got it back in December. Here is a pic of the old and new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

allmi01
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Gary,

First it good to hear you are getting back to work soon. That is excellent news!

As to truck or not to truck. OCnsider this in your decision process. If you do higway driving, the diesel will get you better fuel milage bith towing and as a daily driver. If you do mostly city driving, go gas as the in town mmilage will be about the same and with the newer DPF equiped diesels, you will spend a lot of time in the regen cycle which kills fuel economy.

Diesel will have a higher maint cost (15 qts oil vs. 6 qts in a gasser) but overall the diesel will outlast the gasser if you drive a lot of miles.

Utilmately, go with whatever works best for your needs and budget. Just my $.02 worth as a diesel owner.

Mike

hankpage
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't understand why folks say diesel is higher maintenance???? I have had 2 diesels since '94 and all I have done engine-wise is is change oil every 5,000mi and antifreeze every 50,000mi. I can't speak for the new ones but I get great mileage city and highway and towing is better than some gassers get solo. The main thing is you have to be able to justify the initial $8000 and that is a tough nut to crack. See if you can find a low mileage pre DEF truck and compare the price of a new gasser and you may be surprised. Good luck and glad you are back to work, Hank

I don't want to start a diesel vs gas war ... just had to put my two cents in.

BulletOwner1
03-20-2014, 01:19 PM
The first thing I thought about when reading your post Gary, your trying to decide on whether to spend, what, roughly $1000 on tires, or an extra $20,000 for a new truck? Sorry, just a first impression. I've done probably the same thing in the years past but was it the "right" thing to do? Sometimes not.

Mike, Gary doesn't seem to want to drive a truck long enough to offset the cost of a diesel. He's looking to trade his '10 for a '14. Unless he does a buttload of driving/towing in 4 years. Here you have to understand my point of view. Never owned a diesel. Couple of big blocks but no diesel. Always thought that they have their place when used but for myself, never did. And the cheap diesel fuel has gone taking that advantage away.

Don't mean to offend anybody here just my two cents. (Look at a 150 Ecoboost)

Cnc_hemi
03-20-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm with you on the maintenance thing. I do the same thing I do to my DW's car. I have a 2012 that you have to add the DEF I only have to add it about every 8000 miles. And cost only 22$ to do so. So it's not all that bad. I think it's the whole thing that they cost more to some people. I can say there is no comparison to a diesel to gas. Nothing pulls like a diesel with all these turbos. Torque torque torque.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L

Hansel
03-20-2014, 04:53 PM
If your not looking for a larger camper, too me I would stick with what you have. Now if your looking too upgrade to a larger camper than if it was me and I'm a diesel fan, I'd go for broke (F-350 CC DRW 4X4) diesel"bouncey:

game warden
03-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Look at the Ecco boost with max tow package also. If you are going to tow a heavy trailer go with the 350 with the 6.7 diesel you will not be disapointed

GaryWT
03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the input. Going to stick with gas, one funny reason, the gas station closest to the house that I always go to does not have diesel. Also don't want to pay the cost. I have a history of buying tires for a vehicle and trading it 2 weeks later, just don't want to do it again. Going tonight to try to deal on a F350 that the price is great, just need to see what I can do for the trade. If it does not work out then it is off to get tires tomorrow I think. It is what it is.

Hansel
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the input. Going to stick with gas, one funny reason, the gas station closest to the house that I always go to does not have diesel. Also don't want to pay the cost. I have a history of buying tires for a vehicle and trading it 2 weeks later, just don't want to do it again. Going tonight to try to deal on a F350 that the price is great, just need to see what I can do for the trade. If it does not work out then it is off to get tires tomorrow I think. It is what it is.

Really!!!!

Sticking with gas because of the gas station:confused::confused:

I'm sorry but when you get into the 3/4-1 Ton range in trucks they should be diesel's, Period IMHO

But hey if ya get a great deal, post up some pics"bouncey:"bouncey:

bsmith0404
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I've gone back and forth with the gas vs. diesel debate. I love my Duramax, but I bought it for towing after being frustrated with a gas truck trying to go over mountain passes. The fuel mileage difference for daily driving highway or city isn't worth buying the diesel since you pay more per gallon than you save on mileage, but when you hook up.........there is no comparison, it is a pain sometimes finding a gas station with diesel, but I never complain and say I wish I had a gas truck. As for the DEF, I also hear people say find a used pre DEF. I don't have an issue with it. Add 2.5 gallons about every 3k miles. Not a big deal IMO especially when GM increased the power with the DEF motors, not sure about Ford, but think they did as well. Before I made a deal on any truck, I'd pull the NADA or KBB on similar 2 or 3 yr old trucks and see which holds value better, gas or diesel. I'd be afraid that a gas F350 would get hurt on resale.

Cnc_hemi
03-24-2014, 05:07 PM
FYI most all truck stops carry DEF at the pumps now. But I keep 2 1/2 gallons with me at all time. And the gm trucks let you know when you have about 1000 miles left. As far as availability NAPA, autozone, most parts stores even walmart has DEF. Just to let anyone know that maybe worried about where and how to get it. I'm not endorsing any of the above just examples there is one on every corner in the south. Lol

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L

GaryWT
03-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Well all might not agree but I bought a truck tonight. The one I went to look at did not work out but they had a F350, 6.2l gas, 12,100 lb towing, 3,900 payload. This one we were able to get at the price that we could work with. Took awhile to get enough for the trade but in the end I am good. Pick it up tomorrow.

JRTJH
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Congratulations on the new truck, Gary. We bought a new F250 with a 6.2L last July and it's been all we need. Sure it would be nice to have a diesel, but trying to justify it with our use pattern just puts it "out there" in the unaffordable category....

I've been looking "just for grins" since we bought the new truck, at the asking price for recent model gas and diesel F250's and F350's. The comparable trucks I'm looking at are 2011 and 2012 models with 25 to 35K miles. The diesels are priced about $2000 more than the comparable gas trucks. I was surprised that they were so close in price.... These trucks have been in the northern Michigan, southwestern Michigan area. It may not hold true for other areas.

Kristi
03-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Congrats on the new truck Gary! :D

GaryWT
03-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks, should be fun and it was nice to get out of the house to buy it.

HappyCamperMN
03-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Congrats! Love to see some pics.

GaryWT
03-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Truck picture.

BobnLee
03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess its all about what one can afford. If you can justify the expense for a diesel then there is nothing better than having all that power and torque. If price is a problem then a gasser will do the job but not as well as the diesel. Love my Ford 6.7. probably shouldnt have bought it but glad I did. You only go around once might as well have the toys. Its better driving it than sitting on the porch wishing I had bought it.

Hansel
03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Nice truck"bouncey:"bouncey:

Congrat's:D:D

GaryWT
03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Well I love it. Almost walked out of the negotiations a number of times but after 4 hours I got the payment that I needed. Tried a Lariat first but switched to the XLT when I could not get a deal done. It is what it is but I love it so far.

AlbertaRvMan
03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Truck picture.

Congrats on the truck.

Wing-in-it
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Very nice truck, very cool color!

mark

game warden
03-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Very nice truck !:d

HappyCamperMN
03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Truck picture.

Very nice!

/drool

#havetruckenvy

GaryWT
03-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks, just went out for a ride, I love it. My youngest just came home from school. His jaw is still on the ground. He keeps saying, you think you are so cool, don't you dad. Hopefully it will be nice so I can set the hitch and hook it up tomorrow.

Mark TC
03-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Congrats on your new Truck. You will love the Ford, I am on my 5th Ford truck over the past 20years and think they are great. Just got a cap, window tint, undercoat, spray in liner and pin striping on my F350 this week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD