PDA

View Full Version : RV Warranty Forever

ranch.manager
03-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Visited a dealership to look at a Laredo. They offer the RV Warranty Forever which lasts as long as you own the rv. They say there is no cost to me ( ha ha sure ). To keep the warranty intact there is a required maintainence once a year.
1. inspect roof 2. lubricate axles and bearings 3. cleaner furnace 4. clean hot water heater. There is no deductible for repairs.
The policy is offered by NWAn inc. The website is rvwarrantyforever.com
Does has anyone have this policy or any info about it.
Our local rv guy is poor mouthing the policy.

Thanks

Festus2
03-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Check out another thread running here on the forum about extended warranties. It's in the 5th wheel section ..."After Market Extended Warranty...."

Bottom line ? Don't purchase it. No cost? Nothing is free especially an extended warranty.

bsmith0404
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a plan to force you to pay for an annual service through the dealership. If you don't get the service each and every year, you void the warranty. They do stuff like this counting on the fact that most people do not keep their RVs long, or use them very often. They get paid for the service with very little chance of anything major happening in the few year you own it. Depending on the cost of the service and if you don't mind doing it every year, it may or may not be a good deal. Chances are you will be paying for work that isn't required. For example, they may charge a flat rate of $500 to inspect all of the items you mentioned, but they will probably never have to do anything other than look at the items to verify that they are still good.

redridinghood22
05-23-2014, 10:19 PM
DH and I just purchased a 2014 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS from a dealer in Indiana.. We were given a forever warranty on our unit. There was no fee attached to this and the previous poster was right. There is routine maintenance that must be done once a year to keep the warranty valid. The info on what he posted is correct lube etc done every year...Our dealer gave us coupons to send to the forever warranty people every year and as long as a reputable service person does the work and provides you with a receipt that you can send to forever warranty...you're covered..

Festus2
05-23-2014, 10:36 PM
...Our dealer gave us coupons to send to the forever warranty people every year and as long as a reputable service person does the work and provides you with a receipt that you can send to forever warranty...you're covered..

redridinghood22-
Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing exactly what this coverage includes and what is not covered. Can you provide us with some examples of each?

Ken / Claudia
05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Near here in Gresham, Or. a new RV dealer opened afew months ago and the radio add is a forever warranty at no cost to the buyer. My question is who pays for it and I think I know the answer, it is added to the price you pay for the RV. How much does it cost and what is covered would be nice to know.

berg
05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
From our recent 2014 purchase-

I don't recall seeing a line item for cost for me to rip apart during negotiations. It was thrown in - supposedly. I believe to keep us coming back for fixes.

--------------------------------------------------

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Recreational Vehicle and welcome to the growing family of RV Warranty Forever™ owners! We would like to take a moment to educate you on the benefits of the RV Warranty Forever™ program that was included with your new RV!

The RV Warranty Forever™ program will cover all of the components listed on page seven of the agreement booklet, which include items like your kitchen components, air conditioning, brakes, suspension, water system, heating system, deluxe appliances, leveling jacks and much more for as long as you own your RV.

Please remember, on an annual basis, the following maintenance must be performed by a professional repair facility. If your unit is a travel trailer, you must complete items A-D. If your unit is a motorhome, you must complete items A-E.

Inspect roof and seal where necessary.
Axle and hub lube.
Furnace – inspect and clean blower, combustion chamber, and control compartment (remove any dust, lint or obstructions), test gas line for leaks.
Hot water heater – flush holding tank, manually operate pressure relief valve, clean burner tube (as outlined by the manufacturer).
Lubricate Suspension – grease front and rear suspension components, including but not limited to, axle bearings, tie rods, control arms, and brake camshaft brackets (motorhomes only).

You must keep receipts and documentation showing the date, a description of the unit, and all services performed. Proof of maintenance must be mailed to the administrator along with an Annual Maintenance Record Coupon which is located in the back of your RV Warranty Forever™ Agreement, within 30 days of the anniversary date of which you purchased your travel trailer. Please remember, if you don’t submit this information, you will void your RV Warranty Forever™ Agreement.

Don’t worry, as a courtesy, we will send you a reminder letter and an email 60 days prior to the required maintenance submission being due.

For additional information, please visit www.rvwarrantyforever.com or contact us by phone at 1-800-810-8458.

Sincerely,

Your RV Warranty Forever™ Team

--------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like a good way to churn up service department work. I'm a serious DIY'er and take care of my toys, but now I have to pay some "certified" shop probably $100/hr to do simple work like this...? :banghead:

Festus2
05-28-2014, 03:36 PM
From our recent 2014 purchase-

I don't recall seeing a line item for cost for me to rip apart during negotiations. It was thrown in - supposedly. I believe to keep us coming back for fixes.

Sounds to me like a good way to churn up service department work. I'm a serious DIY'er and take care of my toys, but now I have to pay some "certified" shop probably $100/hr to do simple work like this...? :banghead:

Thrown in? I doubt it! Somewhere, somehow, you are paying for this and it should have appeared as a line item on your invoice.

In the FAQ section of their blurb, this question was asked..."Can I perform my own maintenance?"

Answer? You guessed it.... "No, all services must be performed by a professional repair facility. This is to ensure proper documentation as well as the workmanship of all services performed on your RV."

What your dealer is doing is underhanded and corrupt. He is almost forcing you to return to a "professional repair facility" to do routine maintenance. I doubt if you are obliged to take your RV into one of these "professional repair facilities" (his perhaps??) so why not go ahead and do as much DIY as you can and take it where you want to for the rest? I bet you weren't asked if you agreed to this "free service".

Sneaky. Very sneaky.

What next? I wonder if this scheme is going to be a part of future purchases at all dealerships?

Shame on your dealer for not being upfront with you.

Phil76
06-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Agreed that this dealer is doing something sneaky, you could purchase a different warranty from another dealer. They sell them even though they don't sell the unit. We own a XtraRide extended service agreement and we have been very happy with our dealings. I know as long as you keep receipts you can do your own maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airforceret
06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Some of those warranty offers are valid and may be worthwhile, you just have to understand what you are "getting into" and what is "required" to retain the warranty in effect. My mom had one on their trailer and they wore the dealer out over the years. In the beginning it seemed the dealer had pulled a fast one, but since they traveled many miles every year, and kept that trailer for a long time, it finally turned the corner and they recouped far more than what they invested. In fact, the dealer finally gave them an incredible trade-in offer on that ole trailer, and they took it! I think they went through 3 hot water heaters, 2 refrigerators, an a/c or two, a new roof, some siding panels, 3 or 4 sets of brakes, at least 5 or 6 window repairs for leaks, and more I'm sure...

They had no desire to do any of their own maintenance, and because they traveled extensively it was peace of mind for them to get it checked out annually before they headed out for the season.

They clearly are not for everyone, and not all are created equal, and I'm sure some are a ripoff.... and even the good ones are a bit of a gamble, but like insurance, you may never use it, but it sure is nice if you one day need it!

Good luck...

GunDoc
07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I just purchased a new Cougar and received the “RV Warranty For Life” policy as a part of the purchase. It was no cost and WAS a line item entry on my purchase agreement. Did I have a choice whether this was included or not? I guess I could have declined the policy, but I had negotiated the price of the TT and had, BY FAR, the best deal of many major dealers in our area…Best price (by thousands), best financing, free WD hitch (which I upgraded to an Equal I Zer 4 point for $200.00), no PDI costs, numerous other free goodies all at a dealership that has been around for over 29 years, is family owned and you deal directly with the owner when it’s time to buy. BTW they are the largest single-point Keystone dealer in the US.

Do I think my dealer is underhanded, or corrupt? Is this some sort of scheme? I don’t think so. What my agreement states is I have to have the roof inspected, the axle and hubs lubed, the furnace inspected and cleaned, the water heater holding tank flushed, manual temp valve operated and burner cleaned on an annual basis by a professional shop (any shop). My dealer offers this annual “check-up” for $100.00. Could I do this work myself? Of course I could. Is it worth it for me to pay my dealer $100.00 per year to insure my major systems are in top working condition? YES! If for some reason my furnace stops working, or my water heater burns out, they will replace them for free. Parts and labor included. Of course it is still my choice…Don’t get the annual service done, extended warranty is void. In no way does this affect the manufacturers’ warranties.

I was also offered a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty when I purchased my TT. This one would have cost me and like all other extended warranties I have been “offered” (read purchase) I declined.

So you see, some dealers may, in fact, offer this as an incentive to buy the TT at their dealership. Do they hope to make money for their service department? Sure they do – That’s why they are in business! If they do a good job at a fair price they will remain in business and gain repeat customers. I guess that’s why my dealer is still going strong after 29 years!

JRTJH
07-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Nobody remains in business to give things away. Either there's a way the dealer makes money on this "forever warranty" or they lose money on it. I can't see any dealer staying in business if they lose money, so somewhere, hidden in the "line item" is a scheme that's been run through the insurance company's actuarial program and has shown that the customer will spend more than the dealer will spend. So, is it a "free forever warranty" ? Chances are, the answer is, "no, I traded the trailer before anything broke." or "No, they told me at 3 years, during the axle check, that I needed new brakes and bearings, and they weren't covered because they were worn, not damaged." Or ??????

I would propose that every dealership that offers this does so as an incentive for you to buy the TT at their dealership. It's been sold to them by the marketing pros as a "means to improve sales" and someone at the dealership bought into the program. How they are paying for it has not yet been identified on this forum, but rest assured, it's not free.

If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it's too good to be true.

As an example, Dometic has a 3 year warranty on their refrigerators. It "sounds good" and is 2 years longer than Keystone's warranty. Pull out your documentation folder and look at the refrigerator owner's manual. Read the warranty section, and look at the last page to the booklet, it's a check sheet that must be filled out. That check sheet indicates that a "Dometic service center" inspects the refrigerator annually to keep the 3 year warranty in force. Cost? First year at CW: $75 second year at CW: $125. So, to maintain your 3 year refrigerator warranty, you'll spend $200. Funny how the only thing that usually goes bad during the first 3 years is the control board and it costs $79.

It's a "bet" you make with Dometic that their product will fail before they cash your check.... My guess: They get your money. On the "forever warranty" My guess is the same. Somewhere, hidden in all that "easy to read fine print" is a way for the dealer to come out on top.

GunDoc
07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
You, JRTJH, are correct; this is a game of chance and if some don’t want to play, that is their choice. We all know that the house usually wins, but I am sure plenty of folks on this site go to Vegas every year and hope to hit it big. Yes, the dealership makes money off of this “Freebie.” They are, after all, in business to make a profit. I think most reasonable folks know this going in.

I don’t think the dealership is being underhanded, or corrupt. Those are very strong accusations to make based off of a dealership offering a warranty, or insurance policy. Virtually ALL new car dealerships offer some type of lifetime warranty. All they all corrupt? Most warranties require some sort of preventative maintenance be performed or your warranty will be voided. The difference here is the work has to be done at a “professional shop.” I don’t know about the other places, but my dealer was very up-front about the requirements to keep this additional warranty in effect.

I have been in the maintenance business (both aviation and ground) for over forty years and am sure I could easily repair most anything that may go wrong with my RV. Some things I would rather not deal with…I don’t even change my own oil in my daily drivers anymore (my Hot Rods and bike are a different story!). I am sure there are many like me, who either choose not to deal with all of the repairs, or who are not capable of doing so. For these folks the peace of mind knowing that their equipment is covered is worth the price.

JRTJH
07-07-2014, 02:21 PM
For you, within the presribed terms, the "Forever Warranty" may be a benefit.

But, to clear one thing: You are the only one to have used the terms, "Underhanded" and "Corrupt". I wouldn't go that far in describing any business, even the "bad ones" ......

ADDED: I stand corrected. I read the previous post from GunDoc with the interpretation that the poster was referring to my post as the sole source for his comments. I did not read into his response that he was also referring to a post from nearly 6 weeks ago made by another poster. I apologize for not interpreting his comments clearly. I still would not go that far in describing any business.

SAD
07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Thrown in? I doubt it! Somewhere, somehow, you are paying for this and it should have appeared as a line item on your invoice.

In the FAQ section of their blurb, this question was asked..."Can I perform my own maintenance?"

Answer? You guessed it.... "No, all services must be performed by a professional repair facility. This is to ensure proper documentation as well as the workmanship of all services performed on your RV."

What your dealer is doing is underhanded and corrupt. He is almost forcing you to return to a "professional repair facility" to do routine maintenance. I doubt if you are obliged to take your RV into one of these "professional repair facilities" (his perhaps??) so why not go ahead and do as much DIY as you can and take it where you want to for the rest? I bet you weren't asked if you agreed to this "free service".

Sneaky. Very sneaky.

What next? I wonder if this scheme is going to be a part of future purchases at all dealerships?

Shame on your dealer for not being upfront with you.

For you, within the presribed terms, the "Forever Warranty" may be a benefit.

But, to clear one thing: You are the only one to have used the terms, "Underhanded" and "Corrupt". I wouldn't go that far in describing any business, even the "bad ones" ......

Shrug.....

GunDoc
07-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Review post #8 this thread...

berg
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
BTW they are the largest single-point Keystone dealer in the US.

I believe we purchased from the same place - TacomaRV? Your whole story about the buying experience is like a deja vu.

I wasn't aware that they will do the annual inspection for $100 - never came up or I glossed over it. That may make it worth the drive back up there for me if they can do it in just a few hours and get me back on the road.

They've treated us amazingly on everything else, I don't know why I'd think this would be any different!

Festus2
07-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Underhanded? Corrupt? Sneaky? I confess to being the culprit who used those terms to describe the dealership who slips in this unsolicited offer and passes it off as a "freebie" to his valued customers.

Perhaps my choice of words was too strong but I still stand by my belief that someone is paying for this and that someone is the customer. So let's stop kidding around and be up front with the consumer. I'm not against the dealership making $$$ but not that way.

If it works for you and you think it is a good deal then go for it.

bsmith0404
07-07-2014, 06:04 PM
As I stated in my initial post, and my suspicions were validated, I believe this is a "no cost" warranty........initially! As stated by those who have it, it doesn't cost anything up front, it is paid for in the required annual maintenance. Most people will take the RV back to the dealer for the annual check up, they make the money on the "inspection" and very few repairs are ever required. Most people do not keep RVs for long periods, we all tend to upgrade or just get that buying itch. So the odds are that you will pay for the annual inspection/maintenance and never make a claim. Also as posted earlier, if you keep the RV long enough, eventually the table will turn.

My opinion, if you choose to do your own maintenance, do it. It voids this additional warranty (not the factory warranty) and you are out nothing. If you are the type of person that doesn't know a Phillips screwdriver from a nut driver, you would probably be paying for service and repairs anyway, the peace of mind that the RV was checked over by a certified RV technician every year isn't a bad thing and you will have a warranty to cover anything that may pop up along the way.

As long as the dealer is up front that you MUST complete the annual maintenance for the warranty to be valid, they aren't doing anything bad/wrong. If you walk out thinking you got a warranty forever and nothing was required from you to keep it intact, then they are sneaky and underhanded, but it's all in the print so I doubt that is the case. They are just offering a service/product that may appeal to some customers. Personally, if they offered it to me trying to show me the great deal I'm getting, I'd tell them to save their breath with the sales pitch and lower the price.

billb800si
07-08-2014, 05:30 AM
I have a question that hasn't been addressed yet.
What if you're on the road and have a failure. How is the "free" repair taken care of??

Happy trails,

chuckster57
07-08-2014, 07:17 AM
I have a question that hasn't been addressed yet.

What if you're on the road and have a failure. How is the "free" repair taken care of??

Happy trails,

I have no real answer, but I would expect if repairs were performed at any RV dealer and paid for, then full reimbursement upon proof of repair(ie copy of R/O, and paid reciept). This is assuming the repair was covered in the first place.

bsmith0404
07-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Good question, I would be willing to bet that repairs must be done at the dealership where the RV was purchased, or at least approved by them....unless the warranty is backed by a warranty company that is not associated with any particular dealership, but that is doubtful since it's "free".

JRTJH
07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
I've done a bit of internet searching on this "RVwarrantyforever" program. The website is here: http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/Home.aspx

The RV Daily Report, an RV manufacturer/dealer news source has some interesting information about the program. If you remember about 10 years ago, some automobile dealerships were offering a "forever warranty" if you purchased a maintenance package of oil/filter changes/tire rotations and had specific maintenance done on the vehicle as prescribed by the manufacturer/dealer/foreverwarranty instructions. Those programs rose in "fame" and died in "infamy" over the course of a couple of years. The same company that offered those "autoforeverwarranty" programs is the same company that is now offering the "RVforeverwarranty" programs.

On their website is a list of what's covered. They say in an interview with RV Daily Report that what's covered is listed and if it's not listed it's not covered. Sounds simple until you look at the "what's covered" listing on the website. Under suspension, it lists Leaf and coil springs, shackles and bushings, and rubber suspension springs. It does not list Axles, Bearings, Hubs.

Under Brake Components, it lists Wheel cylinders, calipers, electric brake magnets, and hydraulic tubing and metal fittings. It does not list shoes, hub backing plates, bearings, lugs.

It does seem to have a fairly comprehensive covered component list for appliances, air conditioners, water heater, furnace and plumbing system.

On further down the list, it lists in "Exterior and interior components" that it covers Door handles, latches and springs. It does not cover windows, window mechanisms, door hinge assemblies, steps or interior cabinets/TV's or stereo systems.

Lastly, it states that it covers Factory or dealer-installed bolt on and welded scissor jacks. it does not state that it covers hitch jack, electric jacks, fifth wheel landing gear or any of the newer sophisticated "level up" systems.

So, as I suspected, this appears to be a "limited opportunity" as only 88 dealerships nationwide will be allowed to participate, "on the road" service will likely be limited to those dealerships, the plan does not include any towing or emergency services, and with the company's history in the forever auto warranty, I question how long it will be available.

To answer the previous question of "what do you do if you breakdown on the road?

From the website:
Q: How do I make a claim in the event I experience a breakdown?

A: Take your RV to any professional repair facility and provide them with a copy of your RV Warranty Forever™ agreement. They will handle it from there. If you have any questions that you would like to ask us directly, you may call 1-800-810-8458 and speak with a claims specialist.

My answer would be to call your current "Good Sam" or other emergency roadside service and have them tow you to a repair facility. If it's one of the few items covered by the "forever warranty" then "duke it out" with them as to whether they will bill the company or if you have to pay up front and "duke it out" for yourself. Likely, it will not be one of the forever items and you'll be paying for your repairs just as if you didn't have the extra maintenance inspection to pay for every year.

If you guessed that I'm very skeptical of this whole "new and enticing program" Yup, you're right......

bsmith0404
07-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Interesting, I wonder how they get paid for the warranty? Since it is "free" there has to be an agreement between them and the dealership for a percentage or set amount of the rv sale. Seems to me if a person were to decline it there would be room for an improved discount on the purchase price.

JRTJH
07-09-2014, 03:35 AM
From some of the reading I did yesterday, I would speculate that the dealership and National Automotive Experts (NAE), the parent company enter into a contract where the dealership buys the warranty and after that initial outlay, the plan is that he gets the return on his investment through the annual maintenance checks. Then, who actually pays for the required repairs is anyone's guess. Whether there is a full reimbursement, a partial reimbursement or ???

National Automotive Experts is located in Strongsville, OH. Their parent website is : http://nationalautomotiveexperts.com/Home.aspx

This may be the "wave of the future" for RVing, but I just don't get how giving a "lifetime warranty" on a few components of an RV (the ones that seldom malfunction, BTW) is anything more than a marketing scheme to make the dealership's sales team more competitive to the novice purchaser.

Through the years, I've purchased cars and trucks, boats and other equipment where NAE plans were a part of the sales pitch to increase dealer profits. The fabric and paint sealant plan, the free or prepaid maintenance plan, the free windshield replacement plan, and the theft protection plan (where they etch the VIN on all the windows and windshield).

If you go to their website, the thrust of all their advertising is directed at dealerships and the goals are: (copied directly from the forever warranty website)"
Is the best service retention program in the industry.
Increases sales and gross profit from day one!
Gives your dealership a marketing advantage.
Increases customer loyalty.
Offers personalized communication with your customers.

Pretty much, what I think they are saying is, "Give your customer this free product and the contract will insure they come back to your business for regular maintenance so you'll be able to certify the maintenance to keep the freebie in force.

jsmith948
07-09-2014, 05:36 AM
I believe we purchased from the same place - TacomaRV? Your whole story about the buying experience is like a deja vu.

I wasn't aware that they will do the annual inspection for $100 - never came up or I glossed over it. That may make it worth the drive back up there for me if they can do it in just a few hours and get me back on the road.

They've treated us amazingly on everything else, I don't know why I'd think this would be any different!

Our DS purchased his Springdale TT from this dealer. He likes his trailer and was treated relatively well on a warranty claim (lost a wheel bearing in Billings, MT).
He has told me he would never buy there again due to the intense, high pressure sales tactics employed by their VERY aggressive finance department. They weren't offering this warranty program when he purchased his TT. I agree with many of the previous posts - just another gimmick. JMHO:)

GunDoc
07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Jsmith948,

I found just the opposite to be true…There was literally NO pressure when I purchased my TT. The sales staff does not work on commissions and I never dealt with the finance department until I had negotiated the final terms directly with the owner (which took about 10 minutes!). The finance department did attempt to sell me an additional extended warranty. I declined and that was that.

Many of the dealerships I visited in the local area made me feel like I was dealing with the stereotypical “used car salesman.” Lots of pressure and would sell you anything. Most talked down their competition, both the dealers and their products.

This dealer was different. The sales staff was knowledgeable about what they were selling, gave you the information you needed and let YOU make the choice. I never heard them say a bad word about any other dealer or product…Even though they knew I had been looking elsewhere. My dealings with the parts department were excellent and my PDI was thorough (over 3 hours), performed by a senior tech who seemed to really care.

I went to this dealer on recommendations from a couple of my friends that purchased trailers there, one TT and one fifth wheel toy Hauler. They both reported that they had great sales experience and service after the sale. So far I have to agree with them. They get 4.5 stars on Yelp and 3.8 on Google. Most are really good, a few really bad…I don’t see any average reviews – Guess those folks wouldn’t write one, seeing how it was just average.

Of course everyone’s sales experience is different. I have recommended car dealers with whom I have had great experiences and my friend’s have had anything but. I am sorry your son had such a bad experience. At least they honored the warranty.

NWSkier
07-10-2014, 11:30 AM

I suspect we (Gun Doc, you, and I) all have something in common, as we purchased our new Cougar from Tacoma RV this spring as well. I concur that we were treated very well (no sales push, no pressure) throughout the buying/sales process. I asked about the "Forever Warranty" when they said it was "free"... and they came off the catch that there was an annual service requirement that had to be done at a "qualified professional repair center". I never asked what they would charge for this service, as we already knew we would be moving within six months (across the country) and will have to try and negotiate that with a different dealership (who we didn't purchase the RV from).

They briefly tried to sell us an additional extended warranty and protection package, but I stopped them before the first sentence was spoken and told them we were not interested. There was no further push on anything extra from that point on... to include the parts department when I pulled out a list of prices from Amazon/CW/Walmart to compare to their prices on accessories to spend the "extra" credit we "won" in the little card game they play with you.

I will more than likely be doing my own annual maintenance, and the "Forever" warranty can be voided. As already stated, it doesn't cover the most common items to fail... just like most any warranty. C'est la vie!

JRTJH
07-10-2014, 02:42 PM
OK, I couldn't just sit and wonder any longer, so I just called Tacoma RV, talked to the service department and was referred to Rob in the "forever warranty department" when I asked how much the annual forever warranty service costs.

I was told this: The inspection is $100 and after we do the inspection we will call you and tell you what it needs.

I then said that I know, according to page 19 of the 20 page warranty booklet (the page titled ANNUAL MAINTENANCE RCORD COUPON, that the furnace needs to be cleaned, hot water heater flushed and wheel bearings inspected and repacked. Rob agreed these things do need to be done annually. I asked how much that costs and he said he wasn't sure. We discussed about 4 hours of labor plus parts as being "ballpark close". He did say that the wheel bearing service is $290. Adding the others will be "a couple hundred more" according to him.

He also stated that "winterizing and dewinterizing" must be done at the dealership because they are required maintenance that has to be documented to maintain the warranty.

So, my skepticism seems appropriate: So far, this "FREE WARRANTY" will cost at least $100 for the inspection, about $490 for the work plus the cost of winterizing and dewinterizing annually, probably $150 for that work. So the annual cost for this "FREE" thing is up to $740 and that's before anything "out of the ordinary" is found on the annual inspection.

GEESH, I didn't know that "free" was "so expensive"

Just my thoughts and I do agree with NWSkier, I think I'd be doing my own work and let the "forever warranty" be voided. Especially since it only covers a very limited list of components.

Give the service department a call and discuss with them, maybe I missed something in the translation? Hmmmmmm

chuckster57
07-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Makes me glad we aren't part of that...

GunDoc
07-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I agree, for that kind of money, I'll also opt to perform my own maintenance and void the free warranty. I really don't lose anything, since I didn't pay for it in the first place. I was told during the PDI that I could perform my own winterization without affecting the warranty.

My earlier thoughts are still valid; however, there are folks that simply can’t, for a variety of reasons, perform their own maintenance. In their case I think this warranty is a good value. For the rest of us, we are better off saving the money every year on the service and if something like the fridge goes out that money can be applied towards the replacement costs.

JRTJH
07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I agree, for that kind of money, I'll also opt to perform my own maintenance and void the free warranty. I really don't lose anything, since I didn't pay for it in the first place. I was told during the PDI that I could perform my own winterization without affecting the warranty.

My earlier thoughts are still valid; however, there are folks that simply can’t, for a variety of reasons, perform their own maintenance. In their case I think this warranty is a good value. For the rest of us, we are better off saving the money every year on the service and if something like the fridge goes out that money can be applied towards the replacement costs.

To a certain extent I agree with your assessment about people who can't do their own maintenance. But, they still would have to pay the $100 up front to have their RV "inspected" so they can be told they need to clean the furnace, flush the hot water heater and repack the wheel bearings. They already know those things need to be done (it's a requirement on page 19). As for the roof inspection, that is done "free" at any Camping World service facility and is included in the 45 point Complimentary RV assessment. CW makes no "hidden agenda" with that "free inspection", they clearly say that repair and maintenance services are available at the time of the inspection.

You might want to clear up the winterization requirements with the "forever warranty department" at Tacoma RV before you buy your own antifreeze. The phone call I made today was very clear in the requirement that the dealership has to winterize and dewinterize the RV as a part of the warranty requirement.

It's sounding more and more like a "freebie" to draw in the novice RV'er who thinks he is getting something for nothing... From the RV Daily Report, the dealership must buy the package from NAE, and I'm sure that cost is passed on to the purchaser as a "hidden cost" either in the dealer established MSRP or as an "un-negotiated cost" that's included in the bottom line but not listed as a line item on the bill of sale.

I'm thinking the dealership is expecting to keep the customer coming back to spend money in the service department. It's a "win win" for the dealership and a "spend spend" for the consumer.

Back in another life, I sold water softeners as a part time job. We threw in a year's supply of soap products if we couldn't close the sale without it. That "$500 value" cost me $30 out of my commission. Even "giving away that valuable extra" I still made $270 on every $650 sale.

The dealerships "giving away" this forever warranty are expecting to make much more than their initial cost, probably during the first "service inspection"

SAD
07-11-2014, 02:29 AM
...It's sounding more and more like a "freebie" to draw in the novice RV'er who thinks he is getting something for nothing......

Anyone who thinks they are getting "something for nothing" (on any sale of any type), gets precisely what they deserve.

JRTJH
07-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Anyone who thinks they are getting "something for nothing" (on any sale of any type), gets precisely what they deserve.

I completely agree. When I read that a buyer walked away from a dealership because the dealership stopped giving the "free" $25 gift coupon with every RV purchase, I chuckle and shake my head. It brings back memories from grammar school when we were taught about how the early explorers traded shiny trinkets for supplies when they landed on unknown and uncharted islands.

Tbos
10-18-2015, 05:08 AM
I just purchased a new Cougar and received the “RV Warranty For Life” policy as a part of the purchase. It was no cost and WAS a line item entry on my purchase agreement. Did I have a choice whether this was included or not? I guess I could have declined the policy, but I had negotiated the price of the TT and had, BY FAR, the best deal of many major dealers in our area…Best price (by thousands), best financing, free WD hitch (which I upgraded to an Equal I Zer 4 point for $200.00), no PDI costs, numerous other free goodies all at a dealership that has been around for over 29 years, is family owned and you deal directly with the owner when it’s time to buy. BTW they are the largest single-point Keystone dealer in the US.

Do I think my dealer is underhanded, or corrupt? Is this some sort of scheme? I don’t think so. What my agreement states is I have to have the roof inspected, the axle and hubs lubed, the furnace inspected and cleaned, the water heater holding tank flushed, manual temp valve operated and burner cleaned on an annual basis by a professional shop (any shop). My dealer offers this annual “check-up” for $100.00. Could I do this work myself? Of course I could. Is it worth it for me to pay my dealer $100.00 per year to insure my major systems are in top working condition? YES! If for some reason my furnace stops working, or my water heater burns out, they will replace them for free. Parts and labor included. Of course it is still my choice…Don’t get the annual service done, extended warranty is void. In no way does this affect the manufacturers’ warranties.

I was also offered a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty when I purchased my TT. This one would have cost me and like all other extended warranties I have been “offered” (read purchase) I declined.

So you see, some dealers may, in fact, offer this as an incentive to buy the TT at their dealership. Do they hope to make money for their service department? Sure they do – That’s why they are in business! If they do a good job at a fair price they will remain in business and gain repeat customers. I guess that’s why my dealer is still going strong after 29 years!
Who and where is your dealer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mazboy123
10-18-2015, 10:02 AM
this thread started back in early 2014...I figure by now all of those RVers who have purchased a 'lifetime' warranty need to respond.

For what it is worth, if you are going to have a 'lifetime' warranty included it is costing you for the warranty. YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING FOR FREE!

In my opinion, an consumers report extended warranties are a waste of money.

Tbos
10-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Thought it was interesting he was able to get the annual maintenance done for $100. Seems pretty good considering they want about $300 in our area.

dcg9381
10-19-2015, 06:36 AM
So, my skepticism seems appropriate: So far, this "FREE WARRANTY" will cost at least $100 for the inspection, about $490 for the work plus the cost of winterizing and dewinterizing annually, probably $150 for that work. So the annual cost for this "FREE" thing is up to $740 and that's before anything "out of the ordinary" is found on the annual inspection.

Wow.. I also looked at what's covered (http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/whats-covered/) (listed prior) - and it's largely components. They seem to require that you have work done at the dealer - at the quoted rates above, $740 in maintenance would buy an awful lot of components... Stuff that I'd want covered - walls, roof, major stuff, is not covered.

I can eat a $650 air conditioner or a $50 spring... Probably the most expensive covered component would be the fridge.

JRTJH
10-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Wow.. I also looked at what's covered (http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/whats-covered/) (listed prior) - and it's largely components. They seem to require that you have work done at the dealer - at the quoted rates above, $740 in maintenance would buy an awful lot of components... Stuff that I'd want covered - walls, roof, major stuff, is not covered.

I can eat a $650 air conditioner or a $50 spring... Probably the most expensive covered component would be the fridge.

I would guess that your Carbon has an 8 CUFT refrigerator. The normally retail for about $1300. Add $150 for installation. At $740 a year in "forever maintenance charges" you could buy a new refrigerator every other year and "break even".... Assuming most refrigerators "live" for 5-10 years before needing repair/replacement, it's still an "expensive proposition" to maintain that "free warranty".....

For some people, it may seem "beneficial" but for anyone with some "basic handyman skills" it likely would cost more for that "freebie" than you'll ever get in return.

LittleJoe
10-24-2015, 07:31 AM
JRTJH

Well done and agree 100%

TexasKevin
12-01-2015, 10:56 AM
I got this on my RV when I purchased it from the dealer. I took it in and had the annual inspections done, cost me $265 dollars. I have had 2 issues with my RV since and the dealer replaced the items free of charge. The warranty covers all appliances, axles, stabilizer jacks and any superficial items on the RV. It doesn't cover the roof. If I would have had to pay for the issues this would have been over $1000, so it is worth it to have the inspections done and to pay a small price annually to protect your investment. This is just my opinion. Hope this was helpful.

dcg9381
12-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Kevin, what were the two covered issues?

Lee
12-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Morning,

Very interesting topic here and I have an additional question.

We RV owners seem to immensely love customizing/modifying our RV's.

Usually any Mod's have adverse effects on warranties. On my TT I have upgraded the suspension, added a breaker to the electrical panel, added a switch in the fridge for the heat strip between the fridge and freezer, to name a few.

How do RV mod's affect this "Forever Warranty"?

mazboy123
12-02-2015, 07:07 AM
i have to disagree, extended warranties are generally a waste of money. the first year of a new trailer it is covered by the manufacturer and many times they will go beyond that time period.

if you figure in what the warranty expense was and the annual costs it doesn't add up. the cost is 'always' added to the purchase price when buying a trailer.

and this is just my opinion along with consumers report and other organizations.

mazboy123
12-02-2015, 07:10 AM
warranties like these are added to the cost of your purchase price, and yes you paid more for your trailer than what you would have without an extended warranty.

it is just my opinion along with others, including consumers report, NEVER buy the extended warranty on anything.

dcg9381
12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
How do RV mod's affect this "Forever Warranty"?

I'd expect "mods" to be covered under Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which basically states: “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.”

However, if the mod actually contributes to a fault/failure, you'd be out of luck.

There's a lot of potential gray in the middle, so be aware of that.

Here's how I look at it:
* Aftermarket warranties are insurance. Plain and simple. They underwriter is wagering that they collect more over the life of the policy than they pay out. Some people win, some people lose, but you're essentially betting against the house long term.

* Some warranties have some snarky terms like only paying out "average" prices for repairs - which turn out to be very much lower than average for parts and labor. You get to make up the difference. My RV dealer has some signs stating that they won't work with some warranty companies... At all.

* If you're going to buy a warranty - look up inclusionary versus exclusionary. You want an exclusionary warranty, but they're hard to find. Almost every sales guy or finance manager that I've talked to says that they cover "everything" - but that's never been the case.

* What we're discussing here "RV Warranty forever" is a different breed of thing. If I was in the RV business, I'd sell these at $0 cost (unlikely traditional aftermarket warranties). These "forever" warranties are designed to guarantee service income. The ones that I've looked up in my area actually forbid "maintaining the RV yourself" - and I'm actually not sure that's legal in all states... and more than Honda can mandate that they do the oil changes on your car for it to be covered under factory warranty. These warranties come with an annual costs, typical somewhere between $250-$750 (in associated high-margin service) and appear to cover items that are relatively low bar to replace... Nothing structural, no leak damage, no roof coverage, no frame coverage. They'll certainly cover a water pump or a faucet, but on average, what they're making is going to far exceed possible losses.

Mutt
03-07-2016, 03:16 PM
I bought my Passport at Tacoma RV .... they have the lifetime warranty. It came with my RV. All I have to do is take in my TT once a year for a 99 dollar inspection and it will be covered for life. It doesn't cost me anything for the warranty. And, if I don't want it, I simply don't take my TT in for the 99 dollar inspection. It will cancel the lifetime warranty, but then I won't have to pay the 99 dollars. My previous 7 year warranty cost like 1700 dollars, so I don't mind paying 99 bucks a year for some extra protection. If I keep it for 20 years ..... that still less than 2000 bucks for a 20 year warranty. And, once a year the dealership will go through and tell me if there are any problems with my RV and hopefully fix it ..... so sure ...... why not.

dcg9381
03-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Mutt, read the details of your "RV Warranty forever" - you'll find that it's inclusionary and only covers a select list of things.. That list of things is..well..limited...

The list of things is here. (http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/whats-covered/) Most of those things are pretty small time - I'd say with the exception of a leveling system, it doesn't cover stuff that's likely to be very expensive.. And it often covers "components" - meaning the parts, not the whole thing. Roof, frame, structure, fridge heat exchanger - not covered.

In addition to having to take your RV in for inspection, you're required to have the RV serviced (specific things) by the dealer annually. Here's were it's outlined:
http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/maintenance/

If your dealer will do those services annually for $99, yours is a lot less expensive than mine. My guess is that you're subject to a $99 inspection + the costs of the services required. But I'm guessing.

I'd feel different if they at least allowed you to do your own maintenance and then charged $99/year to check it - that's be a little more reasonable.

You give up the right to do your own maintenance:
http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/faqs/

Can I perform my own maintenance?
No. All services must be performed by a professional repair facility. This is to ensure proper documentation as well as the workmanship of all services performed on your RV.

All in all, I think it's a very limited warranty that costs you the right to do your own maintenance, and costs you at LEAST $99 per year.

If I haven't linked the right warranty, I stand to be corrected... If you're taking the RV for annual service anyway, then I can see it as a benefit... If you're not and you're able to take care of your own RV, I don't think it's a deal at all, outside of a tool to sell RVs and bring RVs in for high-margin service.

I'm on your side, I just want to make sure you understand the limitations of this warranty and the rules around it!

Tbos
03-07-2016, 03:46 PM
My dealer charges $299 and does the maintenance items at the same time as the inspection.

esmoglo
04-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Looking at a new rig now and they keep bringing up the “FREE Lifetime warranty” it’s a sales ploy and marketing tool, if I have to pay $299 for this inspection per year it’s better to get an extended warranty because the lift time one covers very little when you read the fine print.

JRTJH
04-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Looking at a new rig now and they keep bringing up the “FREE Lifetime warranty” it’s a sales ploy and marketing tool, if I have to pay $299 for this inspection per year it’s better to get an extended warranty because the lift time one covers very little when you read the fine print.

Check the "forever warranty" very closely. The annual inspection is not all that's required to be done "by the dealership".... The "fine print" also mandates that winterizing, de-winterizing, routine maintenance (bearing packing, brake adjustments, etc) and roof resealing all must by accomplished by the dealer if you want to keep the "forever warranty" in force.

Unless they've changed the "fine print" in the past 6 months, you're going to have to pay a lot more than $299 a year.

Then comes the decision of whether to pay for an extended warranty. There's many who will say it's not worth the price, others who swear it's the only way to go. Ultimately, it's your wallet, your trailer and your decision.

Good luck with the new purchase !!!!!

dcg9381
04-20-2016, 06:12 AM
In addition to the annual service cost that is mentioned above, be aware of what that warranty covers. It doesn't cover anything structural and tends to cover pieces (components) of the major appliances. About the most expensive things that it will cover are components of the fridge or AC units.. Everything else is "small" - at least in my mind. I can deal with replacing an $80 water pump, although I'm ignoring the labor costs.

IMHO, it's a total selling ploy designed to address consumer concerns about how often things break on an RV. Dealers do not explain how limited it is, how it basically takes away your ability to do a lot of your own maintenance (or at best requiring the dealer to do it too), nor do they explain that it really comes with a cost.

It's going to bring customers back to the RV dealership at least once per year...

zuley
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
As I have been reading this post from start to finish I can't help thinking about an elderly aunt and uncle of my wifes, over 80 years old. They drive a new GM product every 4 years or so. They trade their car in with I suspect less than 30,000 kilometres on it. Church on Sunday and the grocery store type of lifestyle. However, they faithfully take that car back to the GM dealership every 3-4 months and get it rammed up their behinds with a full service package. Unfortunately we live an hour and half away from them so there is little I can do to help them out. Uncle Bills attitude is, "I want the car to be in top running condition when I need it." I feel they are being preyed on by someone taking advantage of the situation. I don't believe they are in a position to know otherwise and I have to bite my tongue. I would bet there are RV dealers out there doing the same thing. You get a customer that perhaps is not perhaps up to speed on maintenance needs but they've got this new shiney trailer in their driveway that came with a "free lifetime waranty" so every spring and fall they take it back to the great guy dealer that they bought it from and spend whatever because Bob's RV and Discount Plumbing Mart, well they sure look after us.

esmoglo
04-20-2016, 11:00 AM
As I have been reading this post from start to finish I can't help thinking about an elderly aunt and uncle of my wifes, over 80 years old. They drive a new GM product every 4 years or so. They trade their car in with I suspect less than 30,000 kilometres on it. Church on Sunday and the grocery store type of lifestyle. However, they faithfully take that car back to the GM dealership every 3-4 months and get it rammed up their behinds with a full service package. Unfortunately we live an hour and half away from them so there is little I can do to help them out. Uncle Bills attitude is, "I want the car to be in top running condition when I need it." I feel they are being preyed on by someone taking advantage of the situation. I don't believe they are in a position to know otherwise and I have to bite my tongue. I would bet there are RV dealers out there doing the same thing. You get a customer that perhaps is not perhaps up to speed on maintenance needs but they've got this new shiney trailer in their driveway that came with a "free lifetime waranty" so every spring and fall they take it back to the great guy dealer that they bought it from and spend whatever because Bob's RV and Discount Plumbing Mart, well they sure look after us.

When it comes to dealer service regarding your car simply put I would much rather trust car dealer than the RV dealer regarding service type stuff. In some instances, getting your car serviced at the dealer is cheaper than going to Jiffy Lube. I have found this to be true with my Ford “The Works Service Package” at the dealer provides a comprehensive service above anything Jiffy Lube offers and the kicker it’s cheaper many times theirs even a rebate I only pay $29.95 for a much better service.

Ken / Claudia
04-20-2016, 04:15 PM
We stopped at CW in Wilsonville coming home from camping today. My wife says look at all those RVs. mostly newer motorhomes sitting in the lot waiting to be worked on. Traveling/camping is here now and likely most are getting their vehicles ready. I told her most are having work done that I do and paying a lot for it, 119 per hour. She says yea but, how many are older and really cannot check out the roof or know how to de winterize. etc etc.So, Yea I can see some needing longer service contracts but, for me I have the time, knowledge and health to do most everything so I do and save that 299 per year or 119 per hour fees.

denverpilot
04-21-2016, 09:49 PM
The thing is, if you're younger and can do the work yourself, $119/hr is crazy. If you're older and literally can't do the work, $119/hr is a deal.

chuckster57
04-22-2016, 11:30 AM
$119/hr is a steal, we're at $139/hr. Last dealership was $145/hr.

dcg9381
04-22-2016, 11:44 AM
$119/hr is a steal, we're at $139/hr. Last dealership was $145/hr.

Chuckster, how come you're not in business for yourself? I know a local guy that's done quite well on his own.. (mobile)

Rates are crazy and I know that the shop techs aren't taking that money home.

chuckster57
04-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Because I work 4 days at the dealership. Have had my own auto repair "side" business for 40+ yrs. and I do work on RV's when asked.

If you read my signature it say "retired" LEO, that's the only thing I DON'T do anymore.