PDA

View Full Version : Running Lights Not Working

lucd57
03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2012 outback 298re pull trailer, none of my running lights are working, I found a clearance cover missing and broken bulb, since replaced but running light still not working, 4ways are ok, signal are ok, brake are ok. Checked fuse on my pull vehicle all ck out ok, power to 7 pin seem ok but still no running /parking. What am I missing? Please help, running out of ideas, thanks, Luc

Sduff
03-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Did you check the breaker panel in the trailer. My understanding is everything goes through the trailer first, maybe also include the running lights. Might aslso be an inline fuse. the dealership you purchased at might be able to point you in the right direction also.

:)

abneynormal
03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
check the connector then the junction box at the back of the pin box then go from there if you have no running lights what so ever that would be a good start,

trucker LOU
03-16-2014, 09:26 PM
On my first trip with my 2010 springdale 5er the tail /running lights did not work on return trip.was 3 hr daylight trip home so checked it out at home,found pigtail wire hooked to the main loom with wire nuts which had come loose.also hot lead for breakaway switch was never connected. rewired connection through fuse block included relay for back up to come later. the solid copper tube in place of fuse is for brakes which should not be fused.----Lou----

vetorio
03-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Is this when your tow vehicle is connected? I had the same problem when I used a Durango for a tow vehicle. The poles on the trailer connector on the vehicle are fused separately in the electrical distribution box under the hood. Cost me $39 for the dealer to replace a fuse, I thought the hitch connector was defective .

SAABDOCTOR
03-17-2014, 05:51 AM
HI You said you have power at the correct pin at the 7 pin connector on the to tv. next step find the box where the cable conects to the trailer. if you have now power in the box the cable from the box to the 7pin trailer plug is bad some can be taken apart and you can check fror a pulled wire. if you have power in the box you need to trace back into the trailer this will be fun!:D

aehjr
07-20-2014, 05:38 AM
I have a similar problem. All of my lower running lights are working on the trailer but the ones up top (top rear of trailer) and along left side are not. Can I assume no fuse issue in my TV and that the issue is a wiring issue inside the trailer?

x96mnn
07-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Here is a quick way to check the camper wiring.

Grab a tab off a drink can, cut it so it looks like a horse shoe, use it to jumper the two pins below the 7 pin top. This will jumper and turn on all lights, if the lights do not turn on when these pins are jumped the problem is on the camper side.

Now this will not tell you if it was not something wrong with the tow rig wires that caused the issue to begin with, if it is a popped fuse could still be the TV but gives you a place to start.

I am not aware of any negative effects of doing this, have been doing it to light up the camper at night for a few years but do at your own risk.

chuckster57
07-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Standard part of a PDI for us is to jumper the 7 way to test running lights and brake lights.

Jager
07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
Here is a quick way to check the camper wiring.

Grab a tab off a drink can, cut it so it looks like a horse shoe, use it to jumper the two pins below the 7 pin top. This will jumper and turn on all lights, if the lights do not turn on when these pins are jumped the problem is on the camper side.

Now this will not tell you if it was not something wrong the the tow rig wires that caused the issue to begin with if it is a popped fuse but gives you a place to start.

I am not aware of any negative effects of doing this, have been doing it to light up the camper at night for a few years but do at your own risk.

Slick trick. Thanks for sharing.

Jager
07-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Hey Trucker Lou, neat idea on the fuse box. Looks like you've done a few mods on your camper. I see the rear facing light . . . what is the hose with the faucet going to?

trucker LOU
07-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Hey Jaeger, been traveling and no wifi for a while, the valve and hose are to extend the fresh water drain so you can use without crawling under.(OEM drain is a screw in plug above front axle) . Back pointing light is one of two back up lights for after dark parking. mounting them on front pointing back lights up entire sides for parking.----Lou----