PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie to RV world

TFMCKANNA
03-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone .. Laura & I just joined the RV world by purchasing a used 2003 Cougar 245 5th wheel AND a Silverado 2500 HD package. Short shakedown cruise next week and admit I'm a little nervous. It's a little overwhelming right now learning, but also very exciting. Look forward to this forum ....

GaryWT
03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats. Take it slow and think it through, you will be fine. Take it to a parking lot to practice if you have the time.

commish
03-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Practice hand signals with the better half, not all trailering is going foward. There will soon be a time to back up and it will be so much easier with a good guide.

grampscamper
03-13-2014, 09:25 AM
I know it can be a little overwhelming. I remember when we bought our first fifth wheel. I had so many questions & concerns. This forum will be very helpful. Take your time & watch for obstacles, especially trees & canopies. You'll love it.

BirchyBoy
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Welcome! I went and looked at our storage facility, and I'll be backing ours in-between two trailers, about a 10' wide spot. Need to do some practicing as well!

Sduff
03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Greetings from Southern Illinois. Happy Camping!!

:wlcm:

bsmith0404
03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Best advice I can give, always walk around your unit and think about everything before you actually start doing anything. Example, when I first started out with our first 5er I would often forget to bring the rear stabilizers up before I started raising the front jacks to hook back up to the truck. Luckily something always triggered my brain before any damage was done, but they definitely had some serious pressure on them a couple times.

Also plan ahead, have gloves, buckets, hoses for "dirty work". You don't want to use your drinking water hose to flush the toilet if it plugs. You don't want to be messing around with the sewer hose without gloves. I once had someone pull my black tank valve while the camper was on a storage lot. I had dumped and flushed it before putting it away, but there's always a little extra that doesn't drain out until it gets moved around going down the road. Well, once the valve is pulled the cap is the only thing holding it back...have to remove the cap to connect the hose. Glad my new RV has the valves behind a locked door.

Basically, have "stuff" with you in case "stuff" happens.

Jim & DJ
03-13-2014, 05:12 PM
:wlcm:

Welcome and enjoy, summer is almost here

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite (gone)
2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana F3465 SA(Best ever)
2007 F-350 6.0 D 4X4
2012 Shih Tzu (The boss)

Jim & DJ
Utah

2014Fuzion300
03-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Welcome.
Bouncey!

Sent from my iPad.

Kristi
03-14-2014, 05:45 AM
:wlcm: Congrats! Take you time, relax, & enjoy! Checklists are a good way to keep from forgetting anything (such as the antennae is still up or to pack the toothpaste) :eek: