PDA

View Full Version : New life old upholstery

MConnelly
03-13-2014, 04:35 AM
I have a 09 Fuzion 403 . The main seating in the salon is a long u shaped couch that fills the left salon slide out. It serves as seating for the dining table as well as an extra bed , of sorts. Those of you with similar models know the seat cushion foam rubber is next to useless. The lightest of people has the foam compressed to the frame work immediately .
We were thinking of throwing the whole couch unit away and putting is a real sofa. Instead , and for far less money, we simply replaced the foam cushioning with a firm , high grade, foam. We found just what we needed at a wholesale upholstery supplier and for less than $200.00 made the stock sofa a very comfortable piece if furniture.

We purchased 4" x 24" x 82" pieces if foam rubber material, and the spray glue to seam the pieces together as needed . Our project used three sheets with some left overs. We used the old foam as patterns and cut the new foam to size with a $20.00 electric knife from Walmart.
We glued a polyester batting over the foam and put it back in the cover casings.
Like new only better. So glad we did not go and buy a sofa.
Until you sit on it , you cannot tell it from stock.

GaryWT
03-13-2014, 04:42 AM
Sound good, not sure what a salon is but I am glad it is more comfy for you.

PARAPTOR
03-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Good thinking :D
Now if it ever gets warm and stops snowing, you can use the money you saved for camping (tx)

MConnelly
03-13-2014, 04:06 PM
It has been my understanding that the main living area in a boat or RV is called the salon.

GaryWT
03-13-2014, 04:49 PM
First time I have heard in 24 years of camping but I have no idea.