PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, that new trailer smell

Kristi
03-12-2014, 05:43 AM
We bought our passport last spring & wow the "new" smell was strong! We kept the windows open as much as possible & using it over the course of the summer the smell dissipated. Unfortunately, after being closed up most of the past 4 months, & the warm weather we had yesterday, the smell is strong again. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it, but it makes my nose burn after being in there for a while. Any suggestions other keep opening windows? Or am I the only one who doesn't like that new carpet/fabric smell?

Of course it could be worse, it could be an old musty trailer smell. :D

hankpage
03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
We bought our passport last spring & wow the "new" smell was strong! We kept the windows open as much as possible & using it over the course of the summer the smell dissipated. Unfortunately, after being closed up most of the past 4 months, & the warm weather we had yesterday, the smell is strong again. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it, but it makes my nose burn after being in there for a while. Any suggestions other keep opening windows? Or am I the only one who doesn't like that new carpet/fabric smell?

Of course it could be worse, it could be an old musty trailer smell. :D

Kristi, You are not alone in your sensitivity to the smell. Depending on where you look, some say it may not be very healthy for you either. If closed up tightly the fumes from the chemicals used to manufacture carpets, upholstery and building materials can build up past "safe" levels. (in new stick homes too) With all my trailers I have always used vent covers and left vents open slightly during storage and air it out before a trip. JM2¢, Hank

GaryWT
03-12-2014, 06:39 AM
We love the smell but it am sure year 2 it will be gone quicker. A good airing out should help and yes, at least you know what the smell is, if it was something else then I would be worried.

Kristi
03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Hank- We have vent covers & left the vents cracked, but I think you're right a good airing out is definitely in order. I thought about using some frebreeze, but I think that may compound the issue. Maybe some extra boxes of baking soda? At least we have some good weather predicted for the rest of the week so I can really open it up before de-winterizing for the season. (tx)

Kristi
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM
We love the smell but it am sure year 2 it will be gone quicker. A good airing out should help and yes, at least you know what the smell is, if it was something else then I would be worried.

You're right Gary, unidentified stink is never a good thing. :D

HappyCamperMN
03-12-2014, 07:40 AM
I thought about using some frebreeze, but I think that may compound the issue.

Febreeze is just adding more chemicals into the mix. Albeit good-smelling chemicals, but chemicals nonetheless.

JRTJH
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM
The "New Camper Smell" is, as Hank said, the chemicals from production. The biggest "culprit" is formaldehyde. Outgassing of formaldehyde is a big part of why so many FEMA emergency trailers are sitting in fields rather than being used to house people during emergencies. Over time, the outgassing does decrease dramatically.

As said, adding more "sweet smelling" chemicals to the air in order to mask the problem won't get the formaldehyde out of the air. It's best to air it out rather than breathe Frebreeze sweetened formaldehyde.

CHIEF MK
03-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Just cook up a couple of pounds of bacon with the vents closed.

hankpage
03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Just cook up a couple of pounds of bacon with the vents closed.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1165
Everything is better with BACON

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_116609_1_cc049ea6508d1f6f0cb8c32ebb59cd8e.gif

JRTJH
03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Or stick one of these puppies in the oven at 350* for 2 hours :D

hankpage
03-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Yes folks, your moderators are also suffering from PWS (Prolonged Winter Syndrome)

JRTJH
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
OK Hank !!!! I resemble that remark :D

Kristi
03-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Bacon... Yum! Actually after a couple days with the windows open it is much better. By the end of the week it should be ready to take out for the first weekend trip of the season. Apologies to those who still haven't dug theirs out yet. :)-

Sent from my iPad