PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Question

macgyver1
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm going to change my Refrigerator to a residental type. The inverter that I have is 1500w modified sine wave. I have run a fridge with it for several hours with no problem just wondering if any thing has changed with motors
that would be an issue? The old fridge is a Kitchen Aid. The new one may be
a GE or Fridgadair.

arcticcatred
03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I doubt it, I have a Samsung in mine and seems to work well.

PARAPTOR
03-11-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm going to change my Refrigerator to a residental type. The inverter that I have is 1500w modified sine wave. I have run a fridge with it for several hours with no problem just wondering if any thing has changed with motors
that would be an issue? The old fridge is a Kitchen Aid. The new one may be
a GE or Fridgadair.

May want to watch a few quick videos on Youtube and or read up on sine wave versus Modified Sine Wave Inverters. Do not mean to redirect you but in some cases there are risks associated with doing/using things and each person has to weigh those risks. :eek: Things you do in emergency situations you may not want to do long term. :yawn:

Ddubya
11-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I just purchased a new Alpine with a residential refrigerator and was wondering if it should be turned off when the RV is in storage. Sense there is no on- off switch that I can locate that would require tripping the breaker.
I always turned off my RV refer and left the doors open. I assume that that would be the same with this one.

chuckster57
11-04-2016, 01:29 PM
If you can locate the inverter, it should have an ON/OFF switch on it. Flipping the refer breaker doesn't stop the inverter from working. Even with no load on the inverter there is draw on the 12V system.

Ddubya
11-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Good point. I leave shore power on all the time but there is no reason to have the inverter on and not doing anything.

Ddubya
11-15-2016, 04:48 AM
What charges the batteries that feed the inverter?
I am assuming that the on board charger is charging the battery that powers the slides but not sure how the two batteries on the inverter are charged.

chuckster57
11-15-2016, 04:57 AM
The converter will charge the batteries when your plugged into shore power. When towing, the tow vehicles alternator will charge the batteries. If you have a generator, it will charge the batteries when running.

This assumes that you only have the one set of two batteries and not two separate sets. If you do have 4 batteries then check the wiring between them to see if they are all hooked together.

Ddubya
11-15-2016, 05:08 AM
I have three batteries. One for the slides/jacks/lights and two for the refrigerator.
I see no visible charge wires connected to the refrigerator batteries so I guess I will have to delve further into the system.

chuckster57
11-15-2016, 05:13 AM
Is the refer inverter just an inverter or is it a combo unit that charges or inverts depending on what you set it to.

Ddubya
11-15-2016, 05:57 AM
I will have to pull the manual. I don't recall seeing anything on it to indicate it is also a charger.

Ddubya
11-16-2016, 04:29 AM
The inverter does not have a charger built in. I will check out where and if the two refer batteries are being charged from.

Ddubya
11-18-2016, 04:13 PM
The converter (breaker panel) has a 120vac outlet in the back that powers a battery charger which charges all three batteries.

chuckster57
11-18-2016, 04:20 PM
The converter (breaker panel) has a 120vac outlet in the back that powers a battery charger which charges all three batteries.

That sounds like the normal set up.