PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 3010 Exterior Length

John Gibson
03-09-2014, 05:27 PM
We are in the market for a new Fiver and the Alpine 3010 is on our shortlist. We are wanting a rig that is 35' or less so it will fit better in our garage. We have seen and measured other rigs and none are the published length. Before we get too excited about the Alpine, can anyone tell us the actual exterior length? Thanks in advance.

PARAPTOR
03-09-2014, 06:18 PM
We are in the market for a new Fiver and the Alpine 3010 is on our shortlist. We are wanting a rig that is 35' or less so it will fit better in our garage. We have seen and measured other rigs and none are the published length. Before we get too excited about the Alpine, can anyone tell us the actual exterior length? Thanks in advance.

www.keystonerv.com
http://www.keystonerv.com/alpine/

lShipping Weight 11580
Carrying Capacity 3420
Hitch 2445
Length 34' 1"
Height 12' 8"
Fresh Water 66
Waste Water 50
Gray Water 82
LPG 60
Tire Size ST235/80R16E

John Gibson
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
www.keystonerv.com
http://www.keystonerv.com/alpine/

lShipping Weight 11580
Carrying Capacity 3420
Hitch 2445
Length 34' 1"
Height 12' 8"
Fresh Water 66
Waste Water 50
Gray Water 82
LPG 60
Tire Size ST235/80R16E

I have measured 8 separate rigs and none matched the brochure or published length, some by as much as 2 feet difference. Looking for an owner that has or can measure the exterior.

Festus2
03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't go by the published or brochure length to determine whether or not the Alpine will fit inside your garage. You are on the right track - find someone who has that exact model and ask for an accurate, "real-life" measurement. Hopefully, one of our members will respond and provide you with the actual measurement so you can make a decision about it fitting in your garage.

JRTJH
03-09-2014, 06:52 PM
I have measured 8 separate rigs and none matched the brochure or published length, some by as much as 2 feet difference. Looking for an owner that has or can measure the exterior.

I feel your pain... When we were looking, I measured 3 different Cougar XLite 27RKS models. None of them were the same, they varied in length by 3" between the longest and the shortest. None were the advertised length. All were 2014 models. So, even if you get an accurate measurement from an owner of a current model 3010, there's no absolute that yours will be the same. If length is critical, and it sounds like it is, you might want to actually measure the unit you'll be negotiating for.

Our Cougar is advertised as 30'5" long. Our pole barn is 31' inside (beam to beam). The rear bumper is resting on the back vertical beams and the front pinbox is 2" from the sliding door, which is OUTSIDE the beam. That's a total length of 31'6" from the rear beams to the sliding door. Fortunately for us, our Cougar is only 31'4". If it were the length advertised, we'd have well over a foot to spare, not 2".

Measure carefully. Had we bought the first one I measured, the door wouldn't close.

PARAPTOR
03-09-2014, 07:11 PM
THANKS for correcting me (tx) I know from experience that when you order a unit to be built do not be surprised to see things different than you expected. But I had no idea that the lengths would change from the advertised. Maybe need to go out and measure mine and see what I have. :confused: Wish I had a garage to worry about the actual length. This sounds scary :banghead:

I guess that is way you build the garage around the vehicle :eek:

JRTJH
03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
We built our pole barn for the Springdale. It was right at 28' long so a 32' pole barn was perfect. After the tree and a desire to upgrade some, we thought a 31 footer would be OK. Little did we know. The dealer suggested we doublecheck and when we started measuring, he was also surprised that the length of 2 on his lot were different. We had to special order to get what we wanted and I was concerned because we may have needed to modify the sliding door if it wouldn't fit. Fortunately, we have a couple of inches to spare, and that's with the spare tire and carrier removed from the bumper..... Anyway, my DW was looking forward to putting in a bay window in the sliding door, but we managed to "squeak by" with a very little extra to spare..... If you haven't actually measured, it would be interesting to see where the specs and the tape compare on your Raptor.

bsmith0404
03-10-2014, 03:23 AM
Not answering your question, but adding to the conversation. If I remember correctly, 5th wheels listed measurements are from the back to the King pin not to the front. Any additional length that extends beyond the king pin is not accounted for. I believe the reason for this is so you can figure out tow length not overall length.

PARAPTOR
03-10-2014, 03:44 AM
Not answering your question, but adding to the conversation. If I remember correctly, 5th wheels listed measurements are from the back to the King pin not to the front. Any additional length that extends beyond the king pin is not accounted for. I believe the reason for this is so you can figure out tow length not overall length.

Interesting I was told by the dealer it was the overall length, ie, tip of the nose to rear :confused: Confusing information from the dealer, OH NO :D Will have to measure mine both ways and then there is the advertised spec.

JRTJH
03-10-2014, 05:32 AM
To add to the confusion, when we were looking, we saw a really nice Montana 2955RL. It was a year old (2011). The dealer tried to tell us that it was 29'long and would easily fit in our pole barn. It sure seemed to be longer, so I dragged out the 100' tape and got my DW on the "holding end" and me on the "business end". It came in at almost 35'. The salesman actually argued with me, explaining that there are 29' series, 30' series and so forth. That the one we were looking at was a 29' series and I had to have mis-measured. I got him on the "business end" and I held the tape to the back bumper and he then started "fussing at me" because I must not be holding the tape in the right place..... Needless to say, his credibility was pretty much gone by that point.

On Montana's, the advertised length of the 3100RL is 35'9", the 3150 is 35'2", the 3582 is 39'2" and the 3610 is 38'3". so as the model numbers go up, the length goes down, in some, but not all.

Maybe in some brands the model numbers correspond to actual length, but not in the Keystone models I've looked at.

Festus2
03-10-2014, 07:18 AM
John Gibson -
It would seem that, after reading all the confusing and conflicting ways in which length is determined or measured, the only way that you are going to come up with the "right" answer is to take a tape measure with you and calculate it yourself - with the unit right there in front of you!

The length as determined by brochures, website diagrams and specs, and salesmen of various stripes is not something I would use to figure out if the RV would fit in my garage or not.

It's like cutting a board --- measure twice and cut once.:eek:

KanTC
03-10-2014, 07:27 AM
The length shown in the literature/specs does not include the depth of the rear ladder (if any), or a rear mounted spare (if any) nor the extended
pin box measurement on a FW. Reason being ~these items are standard features on some brands/lines, & options on others, or N/A at all on others.

I don't recall ever seeing these "details" on Keystone's website, but it is shown (in fine print) on some manufacturer sites.

Example: our Laredo FW is listed as 30 ft OAL. It's 32 ft (exactly) tip to tip.

John [Gibson], as already stated, if you need an exact length it would be best to measure the unit you plan to purchase. ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

PARAPTOR
03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
YEAP simple just measure it and buy that one on the spot. Then again if you intend to order one , that is a new game based on John's experience of measuring two exact models resulting in different lengths. Guess if you have enough margin in the garage could work. Wish I had that problem :( NO GARAGE (Driveway).

Interesting thread to say the least.

AlpineOppa
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM

We just purchased a 2014 Alpine 3010RE last month. I too was concerned with the over all exterior length because of the limited space I have in the back yard where I park it. 35' to 36' (max) was what I was looking for - and found it in this Alpine. The book specs list it as 34' 10". I just went out and measured it, and by-golly it measures exactly 34' 10". That's from nose to rear end. The king pin and the front are exactly the same. At least in this case the specs are right on.

So far we are pleased with the Alpine. A few issues to take back to the dealer for warranty work, ie one of the 61" spring loaded pull down window shades broke and now won't retract - won't go up. The only way I see to fix or replace it is by removing the cornice board, which looks like a pain to do. I'll leave that up to the dealer.

Something of a more serious matter however concerns one of the furnace floor vents. The vent gives a little when stepped on or when you step close to it (within 1/2"). It feels like it's not secured to a floor joist. But with the floor/vent being squishy when it's fresh off the dealer's lot, I'm concerned that it will get nothing but worse. The dealer must fix this!

Other than those 2 issues, I'm liking the new Alpine!