PDA

View Full Version : clogged toilet

EChambers
03-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Only my third day in and the toilet is clogged. I have drained the black water tank. Now when I try to flush, water builds up into the toilet. What do I need to do - Passport Elite - step by step would be most helpful.

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Toilets can be a serious headache. The most effective way I have found to clear a clog is to use a toilet snake, or just shove a hose down the toilet and flush it good. The hose is probably the best method. definitely wear some gloves.

For the future, make sure you use RV TP and use sparingly. Doesn't hurt to flush mid use and don't be afraid to run a lot of water down the toilet when flushing to be sure it clears out of the holding tank. Another method used and recommended by many is to close of your tank valves until it is 2/3-3/4 full. That gives more "flow" when you dump to help clear the tanks.

Have fun!

EChambers
03-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Should I turn off the water when I use the snake? to keep from flooding the bathroom?

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Turn the water to the toilet off so it doesn't continue to flush, basically shut your pump off. If you use the hose method, I'd have someone at the valve to shut it off for you , make sure they can hear you. I wouldn't try doing it at the and of the hose, too much potential for a mess.

JRTJH
03-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Should I turn off the water when I use the snake? to keep from flooding the bathroom?

BE CAREFUL USING A SNAKE !!!!! You're going to be pushing it into the thin plastic holding tank. The sharp edges of the snake can puncture your black tank bottom (or sides) and then you'll be looking at a "several hundred dollar" repair as a minimum. It's best to use a hose or a RV tank flush wand rather than a plumbing snake !!!!!

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 07:48 AM
The hose is probably the best method. definitely wear some gloves.

Have fun!

BE CAREFUL USING A SNAKE !!!!! You're going to be pushing it into the thin plastic holding tank. The sharp edges of the snake can puncture your black tank bottom (or sides) and then you'll be looking at a "several hundred dollar" repair as a minimum. It's best to use a hose or a RV tank flush wand rather than a plumbing snake !!!!!

Exactly!! I should have clarified that when I stated why the hose was the best method.

KanTC
03-08-2014, 07:48 AM
EChambers,

Given the fact that your trailer is a 2014 (brand new?), it's also possible there could be construction debris in the tank.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

EChambers
03-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Thank you for your wise responses. I did use a tank wand, wrapped in a garbage bag, turned off the water at the city connection, and "gently" maneuvered the stuff down the pipe. I was prepared for the worst (bags on my shoes) but was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have major spillage issues. For a widow who has never done much of anything maintenance related, it is a blessing to have the Forum assistance. I appreciate your help.
Edie

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Glad it worked out. I have to thank you as well, the bags on the shoes gave me a good laugh for the day.