PDA

View Full Version : Check those lug nuts

bwright
03-08-2014, 05:56 AM
The wife and I are taking advantage of the 70 degree weather this weekend for a quick trip to West Point Lake just 40 minutes south of our home. I pull of the interstate and heading through town when a truck pulls up next to me to tell me that one of my wheels and tire came off the trailer.

Those nice people actually stopped and picked up the wheel and we pulled off the road and got it from them. We have some minor damage to the skirting in the rear and the stabilizer jack, unhooked, bought some new lug nuts and finally made it to the campground.

Learned my lesson on checking those lugnuts before every trip, no matter how short it is.

Oh yea, also found a cracked and leaking water line to the toilet after hooking up at the campground. I assume from freezing over the winter.

Bob Landry
03-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Wow. Someone would have replaced a wheel and not tightened them at all for them to all come off and lose a wheel. I check them on the trailer and truck before every trip. A cheapie torque wrench from Harbor Freight is a good investment and is accurate enough to torque lug nuts. I also check tire pressure every time. Anal?, maybe but I always look at something and ask myself, "What can go wrong with this?".

Dhuhn
03-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I also check tire pressure every time. Anal?, maybe but I always look at something and ask myself, "What can go wrong with this?".
It maybe anal but I do this also. A very good habit to get into, and a very cheep insurance policy. I also check everything when I stop for a break, you never know when you find little things that may need attention that could turn into something major if not taken care of right away.

Ken / Claudia
03-08-2014, 10:24 AM
I always check lugs and tire psi and start of trip and do a walk around at each stop. I look at all connections, tires, hatchs, lights etc. So, far I have found in years of Rving I forgot the antenna, steps, door handle, also left the water pump on and inside lights. I found that if I do it myself with everyone else seated in the truck it get it ALL done in afew mins.

JRTJH
03-08-2014, 03:29 PM
If it's "anal" add me to that "anal list" I always check tire pressure, oil level, lug nut torque ( with a HF torque wrench) before every trip and every morning before departure during the trip. At rest stops, I've got a $14 Harbor Freight laser thermometer and I walk around checking tire and wheel temperature while my DW walks the dog. If a tire is hot, there's a problem... If a wheel is hot, is it brakes dragging or a wheel bearing? My feeling is it's better to know while it's still on the trailer rather than when I look back and realize something is missing.....

Maybe it's "overkill" maybe it's "too much worry or too much hassle" but it makes me feel better to walk around the rig, check the tires, look for loose awnings or lights, make sure all the windows are closed and the spare tire is not loose on the rear bumper, check the door and then go to the restroom. I can then get back in the truck and head back onto the interstate knowing things are "OK" rather than wondering if I should have checked.......

It's good to see that I'm not alone in feeling that way.

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one checking wheel and tire temps. Guess I'm anal too.

hankaye
03-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Howdy All;

Yup, I check my nuts every morning as well ...

hankaye

Western Traveler
03-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Ken,
That must be left over from a past profession I retired from because I do that same walk around at every stop, including shaking the tires side to side to check the wheel bearings on the TT.

John, I had a laser thermometer in my hand at Camping World today and thought $39 was too cheap for it to work, same as the torque wrench I looked at in Home Depot the other day. The ones we use at work are high end and have to be calibrated regularly.

Now seeing you and Bob using those I guess it is time for a trip back to the store. Better than a flat hand for feeling temps and a guesstimate on torque.

Dadstoy
03-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Nothing like the feeling of arriving at a camp ground and finding your trailer with 3 wheels, or 4 wheels and 3 tires.

SLIMSHADIE
03-09-2014, 05:07 AM
I have some really good torque wrenches, but I bought a cheap one and leave it in the TT. If it gets stolen, pretty cheap to replace. We get ready the night before, so my ritual is when thats when I check lugs and tire pressures on both. Usaully head out after work on Friday, so while topping off fuel that morning, I check all fluids at gas station. Hook up and glance at tires and wd hitch connectios, off to wonderland :D

canesfan
03-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Add me to the list of checking everything before I leave and at each stop. Better to take a minute or two and be safe rather than sorry later IMO.

Javi
03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Yep, check tire pressures and torque lug nuts before towing every time. Takes ten minutes along with the rest of the inspection, light, pump, antenna, hoses, power cords, trash, chairs, blocks, chocks, fishing gear, bikes, axes, stoves, refrigerator, dishes, slides, hitch, and a general inspection of the campsite... am I leaving it better than I found it?

oldfamer
03-10-2014, 03:59 AM
I check my lug nuts and tire pressure before each trip. My question is has anyone found thier lug nuts loose when checking them before a trip?

Javi
03-10-2014, 04:03 AM
I check my lug nuts and tire pressure before each trip. My question is has anyone found thier lug nuts loose when checking them before a trip?

Yes... nearly every time at least one or two will move a bit before snapping the torque wrench.

JRTJH
03-10-2014, 05:54 AM

Yes, I find a loose lug occasionally. It's not every time, but I do find one or two. I can't say for certain, but it seems that if we pull straight all day and then pull straight in at the campground, without a lot of side torque on the wheels, the lugs tend to stay tight when checked the next morning. But, if we are jockeying around, with tight angles to negotiate backing into a spot, especially if the wheels skid on concrete or blacktop (as opposed to dirt/gravel), I find more lugs loose.

This doesn't happen every time, and I may only find a loose lug every 3rd or 4th trip, or maybe not for a month or more, but eventually, there will be another loose one. I can't tell you if it's because of the skidding/scruffing of the tires or if it's just a random finding.

denverpilot
03-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Haven't pulled the RV much yet, but similar sentiments on the cargo/car hauler trailer... Find one lug loose about every fourth or fifth trip.

cabinfever
03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Especially with alloy wheels, lugs will tend to loosen more frequently.

gwbillett
03-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Wow....I've always gone around and visually checked everything and I always checked tire pressure but I never checked the lugs.. The new trailer has alloy wheels so this will NOW become added to my check list !!!!!

richarde
04-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Where do I find the proper torque setting for lug nuts?

grampscamper
04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Where do I find the proper torque setting for lug nuts?

Try this.
http://cerka.ca/catalog/torque.asp

Essness
04-26-2014, 05:15 AM
I'll gladly accept the "anal" title. 1/2 hour in the driveway or hours on the side of the road......... seems to be easy math:D

Ken / Claudia
04-26-2014, 08:58 AM
A friend and co worker never used a torque wrench, he followed the pattern on tighting with a star wrench, as I did. He removed the wheels at home. Next trip he got about 300 miles and lost a rear wheel/tire on the highway. Best thing no one was hit by it. Cost with towing, repairs to the hub etc was about 4800. He told me the story that week and I went and finally got a torque wrench.

kguess
04-27-2014, 10:11 AM
A friend told me years ago, "take your time, the fastest way to do things is SLOW" . Take the time and check things, it's always worth it.

Koladog
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Question, if you check you tire pressure at the campsite and find it is low what do you do? Should we all be carrying 12v compressors to pump up the tire(s) when and wherever required? What other essentials should you be carrying? Just wondering.

86GT2r
04-28-2014, 04:17 PM
I bring a small Craftsman 120v air compressor with for adding air if needed. It also works great to fill balls & other assorted kids gear.

gearhead
04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
I keep a 120 volt air compressor in the storage bay. I usually check air pressures in the mornings while the tires are cool and I have the campground electricity. Also carry a Harbor Freight torque wrench. I have 1\2 inch wheel studs and torque them to 115 ft lbs. Remember to back the torque wrench off to zero when you store it.

JRTJH
05-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Harbor Freight often sells their torque wrenches for $9.99 with coupon. For that price, it's a "no brainer" to have the right tool.

Also, they have a 110VAC pancake compressor with a max of 100 PSI on sale for $39.99 with coupon almost every month. It's not very big, fits into the front bay easily and with the $4.99 yellow plastic air hose/accessory kit, it'll air tires, inflate swim toys and even blow sand out of the truck carpet.

Are these the "best quality" tools? Certainly not, but for the occasional use in an RV, mine have held up well and the "knowledge that I have them onboard" easily outweighs the small investment.

tech740
07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I have a booster pack that has an aircompressor in it. Its not as fast as a pancake compressor but it is a little more versatile when I can jump the truck or blow things up wih the same tool.

concours
07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I spent 7 years driving trucks from London UK to Turkey in eastern Europe you quickly learn to become super anal

AM1958
07-31-2014, 09:41 AM
I'll gladly accept the "anal" title. 1/2 hour in the driveway or hours on the side of the road......... seems to be easy math:D

Yep... That's valuable beer time being wasted on the side of the road... :eek:

kellydog98
08-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm also in the anal club. One thing I check that I havn't read yet is all of the above-plus-put my hands on each hub looking for heat-via-break issues.

GMcKenzie
08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm also in the anal club. One thing I check that I havn't read yet is all of the above-plus-put my hands on each hub looking for heat-via-break issues.

Grab a IR temp sensor. Better than the hand method.

UsTwo
08-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Wow,, So i just went and bought a Torque Wrench from harbor frt.. after reading about you all.. I had always checked the lugs with a star wrench and made sure tires were of correct pressure coming and going..But i will centainly check torque on those lugs from now on.. i carry a 120 V compresser with us and have a bigger one mounted to the garage wall at home...checking tire pressure is easy...

dirt33
08-26-2014, 08:48 AM
I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight on Saturday as well. The 1/2" drive unit was only $10 (odd that the 3/8" drive was like $25... Same brand, specs, etc). Grabbed a 13/16" deep well socket for an additional $4. I was pretty happy to get out the door spending ~$15 or so. I must say, when I opened the case once home, this torque wrench is nicer than I expected.

I had a torque wrench here previously that only went to 80 ft/lbs (interesting that I paid well more for it at a parts store, and it is not as good of quality as the HF unit). On our last trip, I used it and then snugged the lugs a bit more with a breaker bar. Last night I went out to use the new torque wrench set on 115. Wow, those lugs tightened up more than I figured they would. None of them were incredibly "loose", but they certainly weren't torqued to 115 ft/lbs. The trips we have taken so far in this TT have been pretty close to home. This weekend we will be setting out a little further. It provides much better piece of mind now having this wrench in the tool box. (Harbor Freight is a good bit of a drive away from me is the only reason I didn't have this tool immediately. No way was I going to go to Auto Zone here locally and pay 3-4 times the price (or more).

GmaPaTime
08-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Just a note of caution on the use of a torque wrench. Don't leave them set at the torque level you need. Back them down to the lowest reading or they will not function correctly after a while.

dirt33
08-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Just a note of caution on the use of a torque wrench. Don't leave them set at the torque level you need. Back them down to the lowest reading or they will not function correctly after a while.

Thanks for the heads up. I did in fact leave my other torque wrench on "whatever" setting it was last used at. Luckily, I have seen it mentioned enough times on here that I won't do that with this new piece. I have learned alot on this forum in the last couple of months. Using any kind of RV sure puts alot on a guys' mind. I have read/learned some things on here in the last couple months that I kinda "used" to know, or at least be familiar with. But, there are so many different things to work with, I guess some of them just drift out of my mind over time. And then of course there are the things that I never knew at all, or never would have thought of.

gearhead
08-29-2014, 12:05 PM
May as well get one of these too! Increase your confidence!
http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1160

dirt33
09-02-2014, 07:00 PM
May as well get one of these too! Increase your confidence!
http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=1160

I had plans of getting a digital gauge, but instead bought two cheapo gauges at Harbor Freight for a few bucks each. Used them each to compare against each other, and found that they both give the same reading. So, the digital gauge will have to remain on my list of things I will hope to get "someday". Right now, it is a long ways down the $$$ list. One of the few racing items I sold when I quit racing that I wish I would have held on to....