PDA

View Full Version : Premier vs Outback vs Terrain vs... Bunk bed models

AlbertaRvMan
03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Hi, my family (wife, 2 kids, dog and I) are looking for a TT.

We are seeking a lighter weight trailer (<7500 lbs dry) to tow.

I like the idea of the bunk beds, outdoor kitchen, washroom exterior door.

I have started to engage some RV dealers for prices, models.

I am really interested in the Premier 31BHPR.

Some of the dealers responding to me don't carry premier and are pushing other models such as Outback, Terrain,...

From the images I can see these models usually have very comparable floor plans, so I am getting more confused on the model to pursue.

I am looking for advice on the differences between these and comparable models with the bunk bed layout, similar to the premier 31BHPR.

I have looked at the keystone site but it's not great at comparing different models.

I appreciate your help and feedback!

GaryWT
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
As you know we have the 31bhpr and love it, we looked at Outbacks and our good friends have one. They are real nice as well but tend to weight more than the Premiers. The Outbacks that we liked were too heavy for us. I do not know anything about the Terrains.

HappyCamperMN
03-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Someone else here was comparing the Premier 31BHPR with the comparable Laredo model. As GaryWT is saying, mostly the same, but some differences in weight.

The best comparison I can come up with between all the different models is similar to Chevy / GMC / Buick - basically all the same vehicle underneath, but with different styling, trim, creature comforts to cater to different driver types.

HappyCamperMN
03-04-2014, 07:31 PM
FWIW - we are -> <- this close to ordering our Premier 31BHPR.

TAZ23
03-05-2014, 01:25 AM
Dealers tend to push what they sell. The basic construction on all three is very similar. You need to find the floor plan and features you like and go from there. JMO.

E597283
03-05-2014, 12:58 PM
We have a Passport 2910BH and we love it

GAGirl
03-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi, my family (wife, 2 kids, dog and I) are looking for a TT.

We are seeking a lighter weight trailer (<7500 lbs dry) to tow.

I like the idea of the bunk beds, outdoor kitchen, washroom exterior door.

I have started to engage some RV dealers for prices, models.

I am really interested in the Premier 31BHPR.

Some of the dealers responding to me don't carry premier and are pushing other models such as Outback, Terrain,...

From the images I can see these models usually have very comparable floor plans, so I am getting more confused on the model to pursue.

I am looking for advice on the differences between these and comparable models with the bunk bed layout, similar to the premier 31BHPR.

I have looked at the keystone site but it's not great at comparing different models.

I appreciate your help and feedback!

We recently ordered/received a new Outback Terrain 273TRL - though it is not the bunkhouse model, I can tell you that we LOVE this new TT and would recommend anyone look at this line - the weights are low, the new finishes are very good and we had only three (minor) things that need to be tweaked after our first three weeks with this model. It does not have the gelcap on the front and is a newer beige color (with great teak interior-leather)on the exterior and is very sharp. I fully expected to have a large 'punch list' to get fixed from our dealer and was shocked to have only 3 items. Encourage you to look at the Outback Terrain - we are thrilled. Happy Camping to you!

Laredo291OH
03-06-2014, 06:08 AM
We have the Laredo 291TG, bunkhouse, outdoor kitchen, 6800 lbs. Only thing missing is the bathroom door which you can get with the Laredo 303TG. Our 291 is great. Might ask about the bathroom door, we thought we wanted one that way, but we aren't sure now. Some friends have a model with the door, said it is kind of useless, it is always locked to make sure no one walks in on you from outside so you can never get in that door.

GaryWT
03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
We like the door in the bathroom. Since we are outside mostly, cooking or at the fire it is nice and quick. As long as you come back out the the door is open, we just use the deadbolt to lock it and thus it remains unlocked. We never haver the regular locked on it.

HappyCamperMN
03-07-2014, 06:18 PM
The camper we had when I was growing up had a second door into the bathroom and it was very convenient. Easy to get in and out. Especially if someone was dirty or wet from being in the pool. Also agree with the quick in from the fire comments by Gary. With two young kids and a dog, I wouldn't consider a floor plan if it didn't have a second entry door into the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertaRvMan
03-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Hello,

I have been focused on the premier 31BHPR, however I have also just come across the Passport 3220BHWE

Can someone please help differentiate these two... Both seem to be light weight...

Thanks.

bsmith0404
03-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Check the regions sold some campers are only sold in certain regions of the country and have a sister brand sold in other regions. Not sure on your particular one. It's possible that they are the same under a different wrapper. Usually differences between units with this scenario will fall into things like the R value, some areas need more than others. Making multiple versions of the same model is not cost effective and confuses customers.

mom2budnbug
03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
It looks like the difference is going to be in the finish, weight, and price. We were originally looking at a Premier and ended up with a Bullet. We opted for no outside kitchen to have bunk beds. It really depends on what is suitable for your family's needs.

zenbuck
03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
My 2 boys are 8 & 13 and enjoy their back room... The dog even has a futon:). The 2nd entrance also keeps the cool in on the hot days.. We looked at countless floor plans and settled on the 31 bhpr as it had just about everything we wanted.

You can't go wrong with the lighter weight version.. Our TT fits our family needs....

Kristi
03-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Hello,

I have been focused on the premier 31BHPR, however I have also just come across the Passport 3220BHWE

Can someone please help differentiate these two... Both seem to be light weight...

Thanks.

The biggest differences are going to be in the finishes, the premier will have upgrades you may not find in the passports, unless you are looking at the passport elite. But of course you are gonna pay for them also. The passports may also be lighter, you can compare them model to model to see the difference in specs.
We are happy with the finishes in our passport, we use it to camp mostly weekends & a week in the summer here & there. What you want will be determined by how you plan to use it & who is going with you.

Good luck in your search! There are so many to choose from, we looked at what felt like 1000 floorplans before we found our 2650bh.

jljfstar
03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Watch the Premier. Ours is 10 months old (2014) and fiberglass cap has bubbles in it already. RV Body man says they was in it when it was built. Keystone says its damage. Buyer Beware. Of course all the trailers are built by the Thor corporation.

JRTJH
03-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Watch the Premier. Ours is 10 months old (2014) and fiberglass cap has bubbles in it already. RV Body man says they was in it when it was built. Keystone says its damage. Buyer Beware. Of course all the trailers are built by the Thor corporation.

Forest River and Jayco are two relatively large corporations that build travel trailers. Neither of them is owned or managed by Thor. There are a number of other RV manufacturers that are independent as well.

GaryWT
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM

What do you mean it is damage. If they were there, it should be covered under warranty.

jljfstar
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Keystone says its damage. RV body shop repair man says its Manufacturer's defect. Keystone will not stand behind their warranty. Its only ten months old. About 4K to fix it. Just bought trailer last April When you check it over this spring, check carefully. Buyer Beware

HappyCamperMN
03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Have any pictures to share so folks can know what to look for?

GaryWT
03-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Damage from what? If it is not a warranty issue it should be an insurance issue.

jljfstar
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I am sorry I cannot comment any further at this time. When I have an update on my problem I will include pictures

DrFaustus
04-28-2014, 07:26 AM
We purchased a 2014 Keystone Terrain 321TBH in June of last year and we absolutely LOVE this TT. I tow it with a half ton, 2011 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 with the tow package and the engine and tranny cooler and do quite well with it. This one does not have the outside door for the bathroom but does have the full outdoor kitchen which is my favorite part. Its very spacious inside. This model can sleep up to ten but there are only five of us. A couple of things I did right out the gate was install a power tongue jack (trust me its worth the money) and ordered a new deluxe mattress for the master bedroom. I also installed another TV in the master bedroom and will be putting one in the kids bunkhouse. You can't go wrong with the Terrain.
"bouncey: