PDA

View Full Version : how do I identify an "all-season" trailer ?

EdInKentucky
03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie here, and have only recently realized that Keystone RV's are build a bit better than average.

I definitely need for my next RV to be an "all-season" unit, which can handle sub-freezing outdoor temperatures.

------------------------------------

QUESTION ... what names, phrases, other terms do I lookk for, when I'm looking for a used or new bumper-pull-behind travel trailer ?

I've seen that the names "Montana" and "Outback" seem to indicate they're "all-season", but I don't even know that for sure. :USA:

Thanks, glad to be here.

Steve S
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Polar package:D

Bluewater
03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
ALL of their "special" winter packages are a joke. None are made for below freezinf weather without special customizing.

mguay
03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The only ALL SEASON unit made by Keystone will reside in the southern most states in winter and head north in summer.

Well Insulated is NOT part of their vocabulary.

BulletOwner1
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
As indicated above, the "insulation" packages offered are woefully short of what peoples expectations are. Mostly they consist of a covered underbelly, usually with a material called Coroplast (plastic cardboard), tanks that are heated by 1 two inch heat duct that empties into the underbelly area in the vicinity of the tanks, and a larger capacity furnace. I have a Keystone Bullet and that is what my "Thermal Package" consists of.

If you want an RV with truly 4 season capability in an area north of the southern regions of the US then you would have to modify your Keystone product with added insulation in the underbelly, tank heaters (electric), and heated hose for the water supply and sewer line.

Truly 4 season units have these things and have thicker walls and ceilings, and probably double pane windows.

In general, most RV's are not meant to be used in sub zero weather IMHO.

HappyCamperMN
03-03-2014, 05:26 PM
My brother used to have an all season 5th wheel that he lived in year round for a couple years in Colorado (north of Denver). Not sure what the brand or model was.

Festus2
03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Despite the Arctic/Polar/ and other misleading labels, Keystone does not make a 4 season RV. If you want to upgrade your unit to one that can be used in sub-zero temperatures, you will have to do the modifications and upgrades yourself.

Check out geo's threads/posts about insulating the underbelly and other mods he has done which he undertook to make his Alpine an all-season camper.

The names of the various models, Montana, Outback, etc., have nothing to do with them being 4 season and as others have pointed out, do not be fooled into thinking that any of their catchy labels are truthful descriptions of the unit's ability to withstand sub-zero temperatures.

Sorry, but Keystone's insulation is no better than any other RV manufacturer. Forget the labels, the names, the phrases, the........ Forget what the salesperson might tell you about it being 4 season.
Oh yes, I forgot about the infamous "heated underbelly"...... just a phrase.......

EdInKentucky
03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks to all of you so far, about replying to my question about "all-season" trailers.

Dang, I thought maybe I'd stumbled upon a brand of trailer that really can handle sub-freezing temperatures, without the water system freezing, and without burning up a ton of propane to do it.

Like you guys indicated, thick insulation in the walls, floors, ceiling, double-pane windows, well-insulated and heated tanks ... should be part of that.

One of the best "winter" ideas I've seen so far is where the freshwater tank is under one of the beds, above the floor. I guess that would be harder to do with greywater and blackwater tanks, though.

Thanks, u all