PDA

View Full Version : Scales

hoffbrew
03-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Can anybody point me to the thread that is on the correct way to weigh your truck/trailer at the scales? Thanks

Festus2
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
hoffbrew -
Try one or both of these sites:
1) www.catscale.com/how-to-weigh

2) www.rvbasics.com/techtips/weighing-your-rv.html

Hope this helps - all you need to know - I think.

canesfan
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Yup, those links show it all. Only thing I might add is every Cat scale I've been to there was only one call button and it is high. You may need something to push it with. I'm also height challenged.

canesfan
03-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Oh, I personally wouldn't recommend unhitching on the scale to weigh your trailer by itself at a Cat scale. Some trucker behind you may get really annoyed. Have seen it happen. It's also unnecessary because truck and trailer weight - truck weight = trailer weight - if done correctly. :D

Make sure you don't forget to add the weight of that cooler full of "sodas". ;)

Ken / Claudia
03-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I found the tongue wt. by checking wt. of rear end truck axle empty and than with trailer attached. Several years ago I also checked my boat at a closed scale and did same, than unhooked boat and drove off scale with only tongue jack sitting on scale, it was the same.

JRTJH
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Canesfan is right. It's pretty much a self explanatory process. BEFORE YOU DRIVE ON THE SCALE: go inside and tell the weighmaster what you're wanting to do. He (she) will help you get what you want figured out. When you do drive on the scale, you'll see three distinct pads. The front two are about 15' long and the back one is significantly longer. Drive your complete hitched rig onto the scales with the front axle on the front pad, the rear axle on the center pad and the trailer axles on the third (longest) pad. Jump JUMP JUMP to hit the call button and tell the weighmaster you're ready. Get back in the truck until he says he has the weight. Then drive off the scale to an open parking area, unhitch the trailer, drive the truck back onto the front two pads and get the truck weight. From those two weights you will have the loaded front axle, loaded rear axle, loaded trailer axles (first weight) and the empty truck front axle, empty rear axle (second weight). With those weights you can add and subtract to get your total rig weight, pin weight, total truck weight full and empty, and total trailer weight. There is no need to park the trailer on the scale unhitched. All the data you need to compute trailer weights will be available with the two weights described above.

It's easy once you've done it once or twice, but can be daunting if there's a line of 18 wheelers whizzing past and waiting behind you to weigh. Remember, you're paying the same as they are, so don't be intimidated, just get on the scale and off the scale as directed and you'll be fine. :)

hoffbrew
03-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Perfect! Our work neighbor has certified scales for there big rigs, I talked to them last week and he told me to come on over, not a problem. I am taking the Fuzion out for the first trip this weekend, so I thought I would bring her to work on Thursday before I go and weigh her.

Sherwood
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Canesfan is right. It's pretty much a self explanatory process. BEFORE YOU DRIVE ON THE SCALE: go inside and tell the weighmaster what you're wanting to do. He (she) will help you get what you want figured out. When you do drive on the scale, you'll see three distinct pads. The front two are about 15' long and the back one is significantly longer. Drive your complete hitched rig onto the scales with the front axle on the front pad, the rear axle on the center pad and the trailer axles on the third (longest) pad. Jump JUMP JUMP to hit the call button and tell the weighmaster you're ready. Get back in the truck until he says he has the weight. Then drive off the scale to an open parking area, unhitch the trailer, drive the truck back onto the front two pads and get the truck weight. From those two weights you will have the loaded front axle, loaded rear axle, loaded trailer axles (first weight) and the empty truck front axle, empty rear axle (second weight). With those weights you can add and subtract to get your total rig weight, pin weight, total truck weight full and empty, and total trailer weight. There is no need to park the trailer on the scale unhitched. All the data you need to compute trailer weights will be available with the two weights described above.

It's easy once you've done it once or twice, but can be daunting if there's a line of 18 wheelers whizzing past and waiting behind you to weigh. Remember, you're paying the same as they are, so don't be intimidated, just get on the scale and off the scale as directed and you'll be fine. :)
What is the method for travel trailers with weight distribution hitches? My main concern is tongue weight after I redistributed a lot of weight to the back.

Ken / Claudia
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Go back across the scale without the WD hooked up.

Sherwood
03-03-2014, 06:46 PM
So, do I go through with the WD hooked up and then go through without it hooked up and then go through and just weigh the truck?

denverpilot
03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
I laughed the first time I did it. Couldn't reach the call button without standing outside the truck cab on the running board of the Dodge 3500 and even then only barely. I'm 5' 11". Next time I'll bring a stick. The question "What's your truck number?" also threw me for a momentary loop since I didn't go inside first. The lady laughed after I said I was weighing an RV trailer and pickup truck and said, "We'll call you truck number 1! Just give them that number when you come in to pay. Thanks!" :)

Dave-Gray
03-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Check out this page (http://fifthwheelst.com/weighing-guide.html) and others giving detailed instructions on how to weigh RVs.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 07:54 AM
I laughed the first time I did it. Couldn't reach the call button without standing outside the truck cab on the running board of the Dodge 3500 and even then only barely. I'm 5' 11". Next time I'll bring a stick. The question "What's your truck number?" also threw me for a momentary loop since I didn't go inside first. The lady laughed after I said I was weighing an RV trailer and pickup truck and said, "We'll call you truck number 1! Just give them that number when you come in to pay. Thanks!" :)
Lol, yeah, the first time I grabbed my manual awning pull rod to push the button, but at least I thought fast. :)
And same here with the truck number question, I didn't go in first, just pulled up on the scales. I was um, 1??? So they asked for my license number.

Have it down to a science now, well, almost. It sure would be nice if they put a second button lower though.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
So, do I go through with the WD hooked up and then go through without it hooked up and then go through and just weigh the truck?
If you haven't weighed your truck before you should weigh it without the trailer otherwise you won't have all the information you need.

As for wanting to know the tongue weight, do you want to know the actual tongue weight of the trailer by itself? Or are you just interested in the tongue weight while hooked up with your WD hitch?

If you're just interested in tongue weight hooked up and in towing mode, go across the scales in that configuration, with WD hooked up. If you want to know just plain old tongue weight as the trailer sits on the ground also, go across the scales a second time without the WD hooked up.

You will need your empty truck weight to do all the math though.

Sherwood
03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
If you haven't weighed your truck before you should weigh it without the trailer otherwise you won't have all the information you need.

As for wanting to know the tongue weight, do you want to know the actual tongue weight of the trailer by itself? Or are you just interested in the tongue weight while hooked up with your WD hitch?

If you're just interested in tongue weight hooked up and in towing mode, go across the scales in that configuration, with WD hooked up. If you want to know just plain old tongue weight as the trailer sits on the ground also, go across the scales a second time without the WD hooked up.

You will need your empty truck weight to do all the math though.
I never been through the scales before so I have no idea what my truck weighs by itself loaded as if we were going on a trip. I was wondering how to get tongue weight without unhitching on the scale. Thanks a lot. That helps a lot.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 09:08 AM
So go across hooked up in towing mode, then unhook and go across with just the truck. You'll have loaded front and rear axle weights for the truck as well as trailer axle weight, and you'll have empty front and rear weights for the truck. You can figure from those numbers exactly what your WD hitch is doing with your tongue weight.

murphysranch
03-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Why do we have to weigh our trucks and trailers? Or is it mandatory in some states with some weight ranges? Thanks.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure it's mandatory anywhere in the US, but it's nice to know your weights, if you're overloaded or not, etc.

JRTJH
03-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Why do we have to weigh our trucks and trailers? Or is it mandatory in some states with some weight ranges? Thanks.

Without trying to sound petty, (I'm not trying to), the reason is so you know what you're driving and towing. If you don't have a clue about your weight, you don't have a clue as to whether you're "about to break an axle" or "pop a tire" or ?????

Knowing how much your rig weighs is akin to "responsible trailer towing" It's much like asking the questions: "Why check my tire pressure?" or "Why check my fuel gage?" or "Why do I need a map or GPS, I'll find it someday."

The more you know about your rig, the better enabled you are to care for it and to use it safely.

One of the "last" things I'd want to share the highway with is a severely overloaded trailer swaying from lane to lane going down the interstate and to pull in behind it at a rest area, ask the driver if things are OK and to be told, "Oh I guess they are, but this is the first time I've driven this and I thought that's how they are supposed to work." Knowing your rig, its capabilities and its status is just plain old responsible RVing

JRTJH
03-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I never been through the scales before so I have no idea what my truck weighs by itself loaded as if we were going on a trip. I was wondering how to get tongue weight without unhitching on the scale. Thanks a lot. That helps a lot.

Sherwood,

When you go to weigh, if you go across the scale with the complete rig on the three pads (weight distribution bars attached, then also, without moving the rig, disconnect the bars and reweigh, then pull off the scales, unhitch and weigh the tow vehicle on the front two scale pads, you will then be able to correctly determine the total trailer weight, the total tongue weight, the "redistributed tongue weight" and the total tow vehicle weight (by axle)

If you only weigh with the distribution bars attached, you won't be able to determine the actual tongue weight. That's one important weight when trying to set up a trailer. You want to keep the tongue weight between 10*15% of the total trailer weight. You need the "undistributed tongue weight" to determine that value. So, actually, you need 3 weights to get all the data.

Hope that "sorta" clears it up a little.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
What JRTJH said ^ . I forgot to add the part about taking the bars off. I used to have an actual tongue weight scale (http://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1000-Trailer-Tongue/dp/B007REJTGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393959960&sr=8-1&keywords=tongue+weight+scale) and did that in my driveway. Wow, they've gone up in price, a lot, over the years.

Sherwood
03-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Canesfan & JRTJH, that clears up everything and makes total sense. Glad I dont have to unhitch while on the scales. Good advice on this thread as I see myself ticking someone off behind me while I unhitched or standing on the roof of my truck trying to hit the button. Thanks a lot.

canesfan
03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
One more suggestion, if you're going to take the bars off while on the scales, be prepared to do that BEFORE you drive onto the scales, then when you take them off put them in the back of your truck, reweigh, drive off and then put them back on. The weight of the bars shouldn't make a significant difference as the scale weights are in 100s of lbs.

And don't be nervous, the whole process shouldn't take more than a minute or two if you take the bars off on the scales. And if there's nobody behind you who cares? If there's 5 trucks back there waiting 10 minutes for you because you decide to take a potty brake and make a snack, then yes, you're taking too long. :)

Ken / Claudia
03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
If you know where the DOT scales are, you are allowed to use them free if they are closed. None here are open 24/7. They (at least here) have the scales displaying the wt. either in a window or on a pole nearby. No one to block at that time.

jsmith948
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Always loved that about Oregon & Washington. Used to be that way here in California, but, because of vandalism (read graffiti) more and more of the scales are fenced off when they are closed. Also, for those that are very close to max on their weights, keep in mind that there is a sort of standard rule that scales vary by as much as 200#. When I drove commercially, we were allowed 200# over the max as a "scale tolerance". :)

murphysranch
03-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Perfect. Thank you all! Learning alot from this forum, even tho we haven't even picked up our trailer yet from the dealer! :)

hoffbrew
03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Perfect. Thank you all! Learning alot from this forum, even tho we haven't even picked up our trailer yet from the dealer! :)

Go get it!! Lets go... Bass Lake here I come.... To the scales Thursday just for fun

bobbecky
03-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Only 15 minutes from Bass Lake at 3800 ft near North Fork. Full hook ups at the in-laws plus wifi and laundry facilites. Great place to winter while getting annual Dr visits done before heading out in the spring. "bouncey:

unyalli
03-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Check out this page (http://fifthwheelst.com/weighing-guide.html) and others giving detailed instructions on how to weigh RVs.

X2

Specifically for a travel trailer you want to fill out this page.

http://fifthwheelst.com/conventional_travel_trailer_weight_calculator.html

Go out to the scales and fill your tank.

Pull on fully hitched and punch the button, personal rv truck 1.

Pull off the scale and go around and pull back on and let the weight bars loose. No need to remove them just let them loose. Punch the button, re weigh truck 1.

RECONNECT the weight bars then pull off to a place where you can unhitch. Unhitch and pull back onto the scale and punch the button, re weigh truck 1.

Now you can fully fill out the above sheet.

Here is my sheet from my F150 and Rockwood. As you can see I was right on the edge with only 50lbs to spare on tongue weight and 210lbs on the rear axle. If I filled the fresh water tank I was over. Time for more truck.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_115020_0_25a0163228d54e4a7cff3f98ed5d2a87.jpg

Jeff

Western Traveler
03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all this information on "how to weigh" and the fact that we are a customer too. I was concerned with unduly delaying the commercial haulers but now I can go in prepared and get 'er done. Found a CAT Scale right on our next trip route.

hoffbrew
03-07-2014, 08:58 AM
ok.. did not get a chance to weigh trailer, my awesome family (sarcastic) did not have there stuff ready to load for our trip to Bass Lake today so I will get it done next week. We leave in about an hour. I will report on how she pulled up the hills, auto level and how the beer taste. Weather is going to be 70, Have a good weekend.

Ken / Claudia
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
OK, rub it in, here I sit, outside raining like crazy, river is flooding, it's cold. In fact a nearby bridge had the base support failing and the whole thing will fall in the river soon. Have fun.

hoffbrew
04-08-2014, 05:30 PM
ok...here I go.... We are leaving for 10 days to Bass Thursday am, so I loaded up 90% today, trailer and truck. Put a few extras in truck, full tank, hitch, some fire wood the dog and my father then drove to CAT scale next to work.... 7800 lbs. Then hitched trailer with most of food, clothes about 20 gal of water and 10 gal of fuel in gen tank side. This puts me at just about max, might as well just say max! 21,800 total with pin at 3360. Can I cuss on here!!! By the Fifth Wheel weight link on here, it was 0, not a green number but a red 0. I am trying to feel better about this so at least I am not 500+ lbs over.... right??
Shoot... I didnt have golf cart loaded and I weighed that last year when doing mods on it at work... 800lbs

Festus2... be easy on me please!! lol and JRTJH too!

hoffbrew
04-08-2014, 07:14 PM
There is no such thing as a stupid question right?.... I am filling out the other sheet on Fifth Wheel ST.. what is the diff between GTWR and GVWR?

JRTJH
04-08-2014, 07:19 PM
GTWR Gross TRAILER Weight Rating (What you're towing)
GVWR Gross VEHICLE Weight Rating (What you're towing with)

Festus2
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Festus2... be easy on me please!! lol and JRTJH too!

Hey - Other than directing you to 2 or 3 sites about weigh scales, and trying to be helpful, I have been very quiet on this thread. Now, what would possibly give you the idea that I might be hard on you? :D

Relax, I won't say a word.......;)

hoffbrew
04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
It is asking under 5th wheel/gooseneck (gross towing weight) and GVWR, under section A #5 & #6, take a look if you dont mind. I will look again.

hoffbrew
04-08-2014, 08:41 PM
got it.. was over thinking and ya.. I know... in the green but I know..

hoffbrew
04-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Stopped by work to weigh everything loaded, golf cart, fridge full 3 cases of 805!! sodas approx 40 gals of water... axle(s) pin weight are all under but 1K over GCWR. I am rolln with caution but looks like dully is going to happen in the very near future.. I will do some research on my best bet and make it happen.

bobbecky
04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Where are you staying at Bass Lake? We are above North Fork on inlaws property, maybe 15 minutes from the lake.

airforceret
04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I scale pretty regular and have done so for many years. When asked your truck number, at most scales (and I typically use the CAT scales at Pilot truck stops) a good response is simply "private weigh" and that will be sufficient to separate you from the commercial rigs. On average it costs between $8 and $10, and some will let you reweigh within a given amount of time without charging you a second time.

As for why I weigh regularly (usually at least annually) is for insurance and legal reasons in the event of an accident.

hoffbrew
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Where are you staying at Bass Lake? We are above North Fork on inlaws property, maybe 15 minutes from the lake.

We are at Bass Lake RV Resort on Rd 222, next to the road that goes down to Duceys. going up the hill today wont be back till later in the evening but come on by and say hi, beer is cold. I look to be the only Fuzion in camp, space 51 I think.

hoffbrew
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
BTW... no problems towing, outside temp was 90 when we left, tranny reach 195 degrees going through the mountains, fans kicked on twice but was a better pull than I thought it would be. Called my GM guy to talk dually's next week, all good!

bobbecky
04-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Will try to get by tomorrow if that works. Spent most of day getting new tires on truck.

hoffbrew
04-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks for stopping by Bob, really nice to meet you and your wife. Come on back for a cocktail and share some more mechanical on my auto level system!!

bobbecky
04-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Just saw your post. Spent today running Mom to dentist, Kerman to Fresno and back. Are you guys going to be around tomorrow? And when would be a good time to come by?