PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Mounting

AlanAnn
03-02-2014, 04:15 AM
I want to install a bike rack on the rear bumper and relocate the spare tire under the RV. I am think of installing a winch similar to the spare tire winch on the truck and looking for ideas or other suggestions. Thanks :)

spicercars
03-02-2014, 05:12 AM
A lot of the Keystone campers have the spare mounted in the front under the storage compartment with a manual winch like the trucks. Works great.

dannyk
03-02-2014, 06:24 AM
I just relocated my spare to the right of center on the rear bumper, and added the bike rack to the left of center making sure there wasn't a visibility problem with the tail lights or interference with each other.

AlanAnn
03-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks for your responce I will look into installing it under the storage area .I alos like the ides of moving the spare over but I am concerned about the weight of 2 bikes and the spare ?
Thanks

fred1609
03-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Wasn't there a thread on this? Seem to remember also seeing some pictures along with the description of the mod. Just took a sec and did a search look under "Under mount Spare Tire Holder"....but just a search found a ton of info on the subject of locating the tire under your rig. Good luck with the mod

AlanAnn
03-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks Fred you we right their was a post I like the BAL idea you don`t have to get on your knees and drag out the tire. Thanks again(tx)

Festus2
03-02-2014, 07:51 AM
If you haven't given thought to reinforcing your rear bumper in some way before adding a bike rack, then I would urge you to do so. If you do a forum search on "bike racks"/"bicycle racks" or similar, there are plenty of posts about this topic. A few have photos of what has been done to modify the bumper so that it is safe to carry bikes.

Without reinforcing, the additional weight of the bikes attached only to the bumper is placing too much stress on it. You can read incidents of cracked welds, bumpers hanging down, etc. of people who have attached bikes to an unreinforced bumper.

I assume you are removing the spare tire from the bumper so as to reduce the weight on it. That is a good start.

I'm sure you will receive comments from folks who have bikes racks attached to their bumper and have not yet had any issues. I would ask, "Why take the risk of the bumper failing"?

Bill & Deb
03-02-2014, 09:40 AM
I want to install a bike rack on the rear bumper and relocate the spare tire under the RV. I am think of installing a winch similar to the spare tire winch on the truck and looking for ideas or other suggestions. Thanks :)

Alan

I had a local welder add a second bumper under and behind the factory original.
I figured that if I mounted anything to the bumper along with the spare tire that the warranty would be void anyways plus mostly likely rip the bumper off.

I have added two 2" receivers. One is to the left of the spare tire for the bike rack and the other is to the right of the spare tire for my generator.

1800 mile to Florida this winter with no problems at all.

If you want higher resolution pictures ... PM me with your email address.

Cheers Bill

I have attached a number of pictures

Bill & Deb
03-02-2014, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Bill & Deb;114579]Alan

Additional Pictures

Cheers Bill

AlanAnn
03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks Guys this is great advice Bill the pictures are a big help. And when it warms up (if ever) I think I`ve made up my mind to remove the tire and relocate it under the front storage area using the BAL hide a spare system this way I can center the bike rack on the bumper. This is the first time I`ve posted on this forum and I have to say this realy takes all the guess work out of the project.

Thanks Again
Alan