PDA

View Full Version : Reese Titan 16k round tube slider and 5th Airborne Sidewinder?

Barbarian Coug
03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
I have a 2008 GMC Sierra HD Duramax 4x4 shortbed – the truck already has Rancho 9000 shocks. I’m having Air Lift air bags installed too.
Buying:
2014 Keystone
Model: Montana 3150RL
Shipping Weight: 11,475 lbs.
Carrying Capacity: 3,425 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 2,410 lbs.

I want the best possible hitch in regards to comfort, safety, and dependability. I am looking at a Reese Titan 16k round tube slider and 5th Airborne Sidewinder. I’m working with a Camping World in Bakersfield. I just want to make sure I get the best ride to make my wife the happiest when traveling.

1. Am I on the right track?
2. Can you recommend a different hitch set up?
3. What other accessories do you recommend?

Thanks for helping....

Charli
03-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Just finalized our decision on hitch/pinbox combo for the Mountaineer we have ordered. Are going with Reese Elite 18k (non slider) and 5th Airborne Sidewinder 19k. From what I have read, if you go with a sidewinder you don't need a slider. In fact that combo may be problematic. You could keep the slider and Airborne but just drop the sidewinder.
Didn't want a manual slider as I didn't want to have to remember to get out of the truck and pull the pin. The sidewinder provides improved turning clearance and supposedly marginally better tracking. Lots of conflicting opinions on whether even need a slider or sidewinder with the contoured front caps but thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. After all it's only money, right?
Which airborne are you going with, the 16k or 19k?
We were also considering the B&W Companion OEM 20k hitch as it gets very good reviews.

Barbarian Coug
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Here is what stated:

Suggest: 50064-58 Above bed rail and bracket kit
30081 20K Select Plus hitch or 30084 – 20K Select w/ Slider
OR
30061 Elite rail and bracket kit
30142 18K Elite or 30144 18K Elite w/ Slider
If you get a Sidewinder pin box on the trailer, do NOTuse a Slider unit with the 5th wheel hitch.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group.

Charli
03-04-2014, 06:18 AM
The Technical Groups statement about not using the sidewinder with a slider confirms what I thought I had read.
the Elite series hitches are made for Ford trucks with the factory underbed rail system with the pucks in the bed. That's what I have so I went with the elite series 30142. Won't be getting my Mountaineer till June so can't give you a real life report at this time.

Barbell
03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
We have a Reese hitch, model 30047 rated for 16000# and pin weight of 4000# made in Taiwan. Hitch and trailer new in May '13. In late October, we were leaving the campground at Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina when the trailer (2014 Montana 3100 RL) separated from the truck, dropping down on the bed rails. We had just pulled out of our slot when it happened, so damage was minimal, considering what could have happened if we had been at highway speed.
Reese did, to their credit, overnight a new hitch to us and we were on the road the next day with no further trouble. However, the problem was caused by a very poor job of welding on a latch pins, allowing the latch to open and the trailer to come free. Reese insisted on having the hitch returned to them and a Chevy dealer in Morehead City was good enough to ship it for us. Before I let it go, though, I documented the problem with photos.
When we returned home to Arizona in mid-December, Reese still had not acted on our claim, so I turned the matter over to my insurance company. The truck was fixed to our satisfaction and our insurer went after Reese. In late January, our insurer notified us that they had recovered in full from Reese and was pursuing them for our deductible. This week, I had a letter from a lawyer in Michigan who works for TriMas Corporation, which owns Cequent Performance Products which owns Reese. In her letter, she denies our claim because of "improper use".
Other than this one instance, we have no complaints about the hitch. However, the failure of the original hitch was because a pin that should have been welded into the hole in the latch was barely tacked in place. It would have been impossible to see the problem until it came apart. The other thing that causes me to caution against purchasing anything from this company is their attitude about claims. While the person who made the decision to send us a new hitch was doing the right thing, he is not part of management for TriMas. Management's attitude is "we don't pay any claims for anything". For my two cents, think long and hard before you buy anything that says Reese on it.

Barbell
03-08-2014, 03:54 PM
We have a Reese hitch, model 30047 rated for 16000# and pin weight of 4000# made in Taiwan. Hitch and trailer new in May '13. In late October, we were leaving the campground at Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina when the trailer (2014 Montana 3100 RL) separated from the truck, dropping down on the bed rails. We had just pulled out of our slot when it happened, so damage was minimal, considering what could have happened if we had been at highway speed.
Reese did, to their credit, overnight a new hitch to us and we were on the road the next day with no further trouble. However, the problem was caused by a very poor job of welding on a latch pins, allowing the latch to open and the trailer to come free. Reese insisted on having the hitch returned to them and a Chevy dealer in Morehead City was good enough to ship it for us. Before I let it go, though, I documented the problem with photos.
When we returned home to Arizona in mid-December, Reese still had not acted on our claim, so I turned the matter over to my insurance company. The truck was fixed to our satisfaction and our insurer went after Reese. In late January, our insurer notified us that they had recovered in full from Reese and was pursuing them for our deductible. This week, I had a letter from a lawyer in Michigan who works for TriMas Corporation, which owns Cequent Performance Products which owns Reese. In her letter, she denies our claim because of "improper use".
Other than this one instance, we have no complaints about the hitch. However, the failure of the original hitch was because a pin that should have been welded into the hole in the latch was barely tacked in place. It would have been impossible to see the problem until it came apart. The other thing that causes me to caution against purchasing anything from this company is their attitude about claims. While the person who made the decision to send us a new hitch was doing the right thing, he is not part of management for TriMas. Management's attitude is "we don't pay any claims for anything". For my two cents, think long and hard before you buy anything that says Reese on it.