PDA

View Full Version : Generator Outlet & Adapter Question

Festus2
02-28-2014, 05:57 PM
I recently purchased a new 3500w Inverter Generator that has the following outlets: 2 -110V AC 20A outlets and 1-110v AC 25A outlet.

The two 20A outlets take the regular 110V 3-prong plug. The single 25A outlet takes a 3 prong twist lock plug.

I have a Camco 55333 RV adapter which has a male 3 prong 30A twist lock on one end and a female 30A RV 3 prong(bladed type) on the other.

Question: Can I safely plug my RV (30A) shore power cord into the 25A outlet on the generator using this Camco RV generator adapter? I guess my concern is that I have 25A at the generator end and 30A at the RV end. I can't see where this would be a problem but this is my first kick at the cat with using a generator plugged into the RV. :confused:

abneynormal
02-28-2014, 06:05 PM
it should work fine. you will probably have to watch using your a/c with another high use device say a microwave. also make sure to turn off the 110 element in the water heater if yours has one. also, make sure to keep the generator away from the camper so you don't have carbon monoxide build up. have fun and happy rving

JRTJH
02-28-2014, 06:16 PM
As long as the polarity is correct (hot lead from generator is on the same pin as it is in the trailer) you'll be OK. Remember, your RV 30 amp circuit breaker is no longer the "weakest link" It will become the 25 amp circuit breaker on the generator. Of course, your branch 15 amp circuit breakers in the trailer will still function as designed, so there is no apparent difference at the appliance or plug circuit.

25 amps equates to 2875 watts at 115 volts, so you won't be tasking your new generator at 3500 watts. In a way, that's good since you'll always be "just a little under-rated on your demand.

SAD
02-28-2014, 07:10 PM
JRTJH has it right. I use the same adaptor on my Yamaha 2800i. The generator will protect itself.

bobbecky
02-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Another suggestion is, turn your dual power appliances to propane only, the water heater and fridge. This will keep that 25A breaker on the generator from tripping as often.

hankpage
02-28-2014, 09:34 PM
As long as the plug and receptacle match ... most likely L5 30R and L5 30P You should be fine. Your gen may have an output max of 25 amps put the receptacle is rated for 30amp. Check the plug and outlet for the NEMA rating and be sure they match.

Festus2
02-28-2014, 10:05 PM
As long as the plug and receptacle match ... most likely L5 30R and L5 30P You should be fine. . Check the plug and outlet for the NEMA rating and be sure they match.

Hank - I've checked the adapter plug and it is described as "NEMA L5-30P/TT-30R" and the receptacle on the generator is 120V 30A L5-30R. I take it that, from your post, the two match.

I'm not sure what the "TT-30R" designation means but I'm sure that you will enlighten me.

Additional specs on the adapter plug: 125V/3750 watts. Oh yes, it says "Made in China" too. :D

hankpage
03-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Hank - I've checked the adapter plug and it is described as "NEMA L5-30P/TT-30R" and the receptacle on the generator is 120V 30A L5-30R. I take it that, from your post, the two match.

I'm not sure what the "TT-30R" designation means but I'm sure that you will enlighten me.

Additional specs on the adapter plug: 125V/3750 watts. Oh yes, it says "Made in China" too. :D

China is this big country with billions of peo...... Oh! you want to know about the plug???? :D The TT30R is a Travel Trailer (RV) receptacle and should match the 30 amp plug on your trailer. You should be in good shape and be able to run everything that you can run on CG power. :thumbsup:

jje1960
03-01-2014, 07:19 AM
You are using as designed, that's what the adapter is for. There are a couple of ways to understand your load at any time, an inexpensive inline monitor will show either watts or amps depending on setting. Or you can alternatively add all the individual loads.

Festus2
03-01-2014, 08:33 AM
You should be in good shape and be able to run . :thumbsup:

Hank ---

I was in good shape but not any more and can't run at all - at least not very far and certainly not fast. Thanks for setting me straight on the plug and the quick fact lesson on China...:D

Festus2
03-01-2014, 08:36 AM
You are using as designed, that's what the adapter is for. There are a couple of ways to understand your load at any time, an inexpensive inline monitor will show either watts or amps depending on setting. Or you can alternatively add all the individual loads.

jje1960 -
Thanks for your take on the plug and for the info about the hand-held monitor. I like the "inexpensive" part...:) Math was never my strong suit.

Western Traveler
03-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Jje1960

A little slow here, so how does that monitor work exactly? I see the outlet but do I plug it in somewhere while carrying my normal load?
I dislike having to add the draw of different items trying to figure out what I can run especially when certain things surge coming on line and the learning curve of turning this item off before using this item can't be good on my breakers. I do know that compressors and heating elements are the biggest source of draw.