PDA

View Full Version : Convert manual awning to power awning

GregD
02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Hello, I have a 2009 Keystone Cougar 318SAB with a manual awning. I want to convert it to a power awning. Anyone ever done this before? I am very capable of doing this myself, so that's not a problem. I also read that there are "kits" available to do this, but they say standard or basement kits. What's the difference between the two? Does anyone know what the make,model and length of the awning is for my fifth wheel? It is parked over an hour away and I don't feel like driving out there right now and I want to start looking into which kit I would need. Thanks!!!!

ninjab
02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Bump, im curious as well. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JRTJH
02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
The standard model awning has "short arms" and the basement model has "long arms"... The arms are the part that fold out from the bottom of the RV to the awning roller. Long arms are commonly found on "basement model motorhomes" and "taller fifth wheels"

As for what awning is on your 2009 Cougar, your best guess is as good as mine. If you parked 6 identical Cougar 318's side by side, there would potentially be 3 different brand awnings, 2 or 3 different length awnings and then if you really start comparing closer, you'd find a significant number of differences in other components as well.

I'd venture to "guess" for "planning purposes" that you've got a basement model, 16' Carefree manual awning. That's only a guess.

There are 4 "popular" awning manufacturers, Carefree, Dometic (Weatherpro, 9000, Sunchaser, etc) and A&E (owned by Dometic). Lippert just introduced a "new low priced" awning brand as well. It's called the Solera.

What's on your specific Cougar may well be much different than what's on the one sitting beside it in the storage yard.

GregD
02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
The standard model awning has "short arms" and the basement model has "long arms"... The arms are the part that fold out from the bottom of the RV to the awning roller. Long arms are commonly found on "basement model motorhomes" and "taller fifth wheels"

As for what awning is on your 2009 Cougar, your best guess is as good as mine. If you parked 6 identical Cougar 318's side by side, there would potentially be 3 different brand awnings, 2 or 3 different length awnings and then if you really start comparing closer, you'd find a significant number of differences in other components as well.

I'd venture to "guess" for "planning purposes" that you've got a basement model, 16' Carefree manual awning. That's only a guess.

There are 4 "popular" awning manufacturers, Carefree, Dometic (Weatherpro, 9000, Sunchaser, etc) and A&E (owned by Dometic). Lippert just introduced a "new low priced" awning brand as well. It's called the Solera.

What's on your specific Cougar may well be much different than what's on the one sitting beside it in the storage yard.

Thanks for the fast reply! Kinda what I thought about the different model awnings. I wish I would have brought home all of the manuals that came with it because I remember seeing one in there for the awning. Oh well, guess I'll take a ride out there in the next couple of weeks just to check on everything anyway!

JRTJH
02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Greg,

The awning model/serial number are on a sticker attached to the roller tube under the canopy. To get to the actual information, you'll need to unroll your awning. All you'll be able to do with an "in place visual inspection" is measure the awning length, the arm length and color. Otherwise, you'll need room to open the awning. If you're in a storage facility where the RV's are parked close together, you'll probably need to pull it out of the spot to unroll the awning.... So don't forget your hitch, etc just in case.....

GregD
07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
I know this is a little late, but I did purchase a set of Dometic A&E Canopy Awning Arms for around $300

(from this seller on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RV-Trailer-Dometic-A-E-Weatherpro-Awning-Hardware-Arms-Standard-Satin-White-/331090067933?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item4d168181dd)

and a Dometic A&E Power Patio Motor and Tensioner End for around $125

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RV-Trailer-Camper-Dometic-A-E-Power-Patio-Motor-and-Tensioner-End-/331243388744?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item4d1fa4ff48&vxp=mtr)
It was actually pretty easy if you can recruit one of your friends to help you. You basically have to remove your old torsion springs by drilling out the rivets, which you have to be careful with because they are under tension. It is not really that hard and if you google "replace rv torsion springs" or similar, there are tons of videos that show you how to do it and actual Dometic manuals you can download that explain in detail how to do it. It took about 2-3 hours to complete, and it works great! Saved probably close to $800 doing it myself!

WaltBennett
07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
After having both kinds, I'd really like to go back to a manual awning. When I had a 34' TT, I could put its 20' awning out and anchor it down for weeks on end with no problems from moderate winds or heavy rain. The powered ones arms are very weak in comparison to the manual ones, and you can't anchor them down well without bending them. Even if you do, they've not got enough strength to handle any wind or heavy rain. The manuals even state they're not to be left out in either. I used to like having the extra living space, but with our 5er, I don't put it out much except to get shade on sunny days.

GregD
07-24-2014, 03:43 AM
I agree with the manual awning being more stable, but the convenience for my wife of just pushing a switch really was an easy choice! And if it did start getting really windy or heavy I don't have to step outside to close it up.

PaulC
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
After having both kinds, I'd really like to go back to a manual awning. When I had a 34' TT, I could put its 20' awning out and anchor it down for weeks on end with no problems from moderate winds or heavy rain. The powered ones arms are very weak in comparison to the manual ones, and you can't anchor them down well without bending them. Even if you do, they've not got enough strength to handle any wind or heavy rain. The manuals even state they're not to be left out in either. I used to like having the extra living space, but with our 5er, I don't put it out much except to get shade on sunny days.

I know this post is a little old but I suggest that you go the Forest River Forums and do a search on awning poles. I have a set of poles on my TT that I can tie down my awning and not have to worry about the wind. and tilt just like the manual awning can be. Poles store inplace with the brackets and do not have to be taken off the camper when hauling. The poles are actually painters poles that came from Lowes or Home Depot.

WaltBennett
09-03-2014, 02:52 AM
I know this post is a little old but I suggest that you go the Forest River Forums and do a search on awning poles. I have a set of poles on my TT that I can tie down my awning and not have to worry about the wind. and tilt just like the manual awning can be. Poles store inplace with the brackets and do not have to be taken off the camper when hauling. The poles are actually painters poles that came from Lowes or Home Depot.

On my previous units all I used was the strap & dog tether kind to hold down the manual awnings with 'de-flappers'. Worked extremely well through all kinds of weather. Our Montana's awning is very high in the first place and the powered arms are far too lightweight for this method. Don't know if poles would reinforce the arms enough, although I'm certain they'd help, but I doubt I could store them with the awning as we've the short arm version. I'd still have to add a tie down method, otherwise wind would just lift the thing up & break it.

PaulC
09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
No doubt the tie down poles with ratchet straps will hold in at least 30 mph winds it is very solid with the tiedown poles ratchet straps with screw in ground anchors. I for one had lots of reservations on the awning until I put the exrtra poles with tie downs on my awning almost afraid to use it. With the tiedown poles I have no problem going off and leaving the awning out. Also my awning arms are the short arm version the poles are 2 piece one inside the other when extended can go to at least 10' but most do not need to be that long even on the high 5ers. lots of people have them on 5ers. Check out the Forest River forms and you can see them. just do a awning poles search there.